Trip to Norway

Guest Kate McKenna

Guest Kate McKenna
Grateful for any advice and info. on Norway as we intend to take our motorhome there this summer for approx. 2 weeks.We are a couple, no kids and travelling from Scotland.When is the best time to go,easiest ferries, prices and selection of fresh food ,we dont like to live out of tins, but have heard that food is very expensive and we could not keep food frozen on the ferry crossing.We like hillwalking, cycling,best areas to visit? Thank you and Happy New Year to all.

Guest Michael Sharman
You picked a beautiful country to visit, ok it can be expensive both to get there and to stay there but it is well worth the trouble. Mind you I have been going there for the last 20 years so I presume I am biased. Dfds ferries - Newcastle/Kristiansand or Harwich/Esbjerg and drive to ferry for either Norway and or Swede. But then I bet you are in the deep south- but it's not that bad up the A1. Restricted times that they will carry motorhomes on N/K WHY? never worked it out!! H/E does not have the same restriction. June onwards, but don't leave it late. I met some people in hired Transit vans in October, yes it had been snowing, no snow tyres, I wonder how they got on? There does not seem a way of direct communication through this board but very willing to help if you can find one. Michael

Guest Jane Swindail
I wrote an article about our travels in Norway, which I have e-mailed to over 60 MMM readers over the last year or so. The best way to read it now, if you have not already done so, is to visit www.magbaztravels.com, where you will see it in the Quick Links column on the right of the home page. If you have any specific questions after that you could e-mail me via swindail@ekit.com (we are touring Tunisia at the moment, so we only pick up e-mail when we find an internet cafe).

Guest Ray Cardew
try ABERDEEN TO LERWICK NORTHLINK FERRIES then SYMRIL LINE to BERGEN discount last year 25% dependant on age We did last year including Iceland Norway (north cape) Finland Sweden Denmark Germany Holland Belgium France Word of warning norway has a collecting agency in London for un paid TOLLS SPEEDING FINES etc Kind Regards Ray

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kate McKenna
thanks for the info. everyone.i found all the info. helpful,i am a bit confused as to what we are allowed to take into Norway as regards fresh food and alcohol. I would like to take a supply of fresh fruit and veg. as we try to eat healthily and want to take a reasonable supply of wine to see us through the 2 weeks. Is there a limit ; is it allowed at all? thanks again.

Archived