Window security

TonyHilary

Hi there,......... After an absence of 20 years we could be considered as 'born again' newbies !

Love the forums, camaraderie, and good humour, but best of all love the life !.....

.....My question is ..We have a Fiat panel van conversion { Autocruise Tempo] and the sliding door has a double glazed plastic sliding window, the catch to secure this window looks like a flimsy weak spot and would appear to be pretty easy to prise open from outside. Has anyone any ideas to improve its security, or am I getting paranoid about our new 'baby'!! We have alarm, pathetic dog etc already. 8-)

Hi Tony & Hillary, and welcome to the forum or should that be welcome back.

The widow catches do seem a bit flimsy, but being plastic a better catch would make only a marginal difference.

we had slideing windows once and they would slide open when you cleaned them.

perhaps someone else will come up with an answer

Pete

On our sliding cab window I have used a piece of rigid plastic; cut to the right length; sat in the slider groove between the glass and the frame.

Even if the catch is forced or broken the glass won't slide.

The plastic I used was one of those spines for holding paper together and sits down neatly in the groove.

Great ideas, thanks to everyone....PM sent to baza :-D

Another query is , does anyone know if you can get a DIY exterior key lock or deadlock for the Panel Van sliding door? I would like to use this as the final exit door in 'places of dubious safety' after first securing all other doors from the inside with, for example, a visible cable for the front door inner handles.

My thoughts are that at the moment it seems easy to prise open the plastic window, to then easily reach the sliding door handle.....It sounds like I was a villain in a former life!!

Re the sliding door security. If you fix a suitable length of chain (4/5ft) to the inside of the sliding door and padlock this to an eyebolt bolted through the floor forward of the door some other suitable point, then even if the door lock is broken the door will not open. If you do not want to use a padlock then a climbing snap shackle could be used. My mate used this on his panel van and it saved his tools from being nicked.

If worse came to worse you still have insurance - enjoy yor travels and be happy.

Door deadlocks can be fitted by many locksmiths, you can buy them and fit them yourself (I have) they are a good visual deterent.

Consider replacing the cylinders on the locks with plain blanks, this stops the thiefs forcing the door lock with a screwdriver in about 10 secs!

Remove the opener knobs from the tops of the doors, it stops them breaking the glass and opening the door. Make sure you have a spare remote and good batteries in it!

Geoff

Hi Mike

Great simple idea, however I wanted to use the side door as a final exit door and lock it from the outside, having already locked the other doors on the inside, the point being is that if someone got in through a window, they couldnt open a door easily or quickly for an escape.

Thanks Tony

hallii - 2009-02-04 7:22 PM

Door deadlocks can be fitted by many locksmiths, you can buy them and fit them yourself (I have) they are a good visual deterent.

Consider replacing the cylinders on the locks with plain blanks, this stops the thiefs forcing the door lock with a screwdriver in about 10 secs!

Remove the opener knobs from the tops of the doors, it stops them breaking the glass and opening the door. Make sure you have a spare remote and good batteries in it!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff...I didn't think it was possible to get a bolt for a sliding door, due to the way it swings out before sliding back, I guess they must have long shafts...............I'll keep a spare remote and carry a brick just in case!!

Archived