What motorhome?

Guest Richard&Maria

Guest Richard&Maria
Hi, We have been caravaning for 15 years (not counting a brief dalliance with a transit CI motorhome that i had to spend 6 months rebuilding due to unseen water ingress, but thats another story)and we now feel it is time to have a change to a motorhome. We currently consist of wife, (the one with the real power), a very active 4 year old girl, a labrador and I. we currently have an 18ft lunar with full awning. We are looking forward to more flexibility, day trips ect using the motorhome more than we currently do the caravan (and we use that about 10 - 15 times a year for main holidays and weekends) , and being able to make the trip part of the fun. As we are new to motorhome layouts I thought that we could ask those that know. We have a subsciption to MMM but want to get hunting now. We have a budget of 20,000, are aware that new is not really an option, need to have three berths, want as much space as possible so we dont have to go to bed when the wee one does (but realise that a 40 foot coach is beyond us). When we currently tow it is with a disco giving 25MPG and running costs are an issue with the current lot in downing street always in my pocket.. We are non over 5'10" but need space for the dog bed as currently she sleeps in the awning. Any advice would be welcome and if MMM want to help out we would gladly submit a detailed story of our hunt. Many thanks and we look forward to reading your replys and many happy trips in our motorhome

Hi R&M You have a head start having been caravanning. At least you have some idea of the requirements to match you best caravan then add on the length of the cab _- Too Simple? I first made a list of requirements, permenant bed, good mpg return, >>>>>>>>>>>>> so the list goes on Under 3500kg: so I would not have to take a medical at 70 Not more than £100 Having got my list I looked in the list at the back of MMM and sorted out all those that met up with most of the categories Armed with the list we went visiting dealers & shows One dealer in Stanhope would not let us look inside a van (even under supervision) in case we stole something - We just walked out & drove on One offered to put us on a waiting list - six months long, another told us that the 21,000 miles on the clock as a "delivery mileage" from Germany??????????????? So it went on and the list became smaller

Guest David Powell
Hi, As you seem to have a very good idea of what you want, have a look at;- www.willowmotorhomes.co.uk, This and other converters, can make you one just the way you want it, at a reasonable price. If you have a particular base vehicle in mind, you can get it second hand and prepare it for the conversion, so you know you have a good one. Most converters will build on your own base vehicle. Just a little idea for starters. good luck, I've no doubt you will get loads of sound ideas from this Forum.

Guest Mike E
My advice would be to attend a motorhome show where you can look at the various configurations that suit you best. There is one at Shepton Mallet next weekend and another in Manchester on 19-22 January. Once you have established the kind of motorhome you like you can look into sales online as well as local dealers. Have you thought about buying abroad where vehicles are around 25% cheaper (as long as you dont mind LHD).

Guest Brian Ramsden
Another thing to bear in mind is that the 'van will be your only form of transport, so it needs to be able to go anywhere youwant to go. this will limit your length. If you want to be able to go anywhere, then I recommend keeping the length under 20 feet. also, campervans can have awnings like caravans, but you wouldn't want to put one up and take it down every day.

Guest Derek Uzzell
I normally recommend to anyone considering buying a motorcaravan that they first buy John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" (Haynes Publishing, around £15) as this covers the implications of ownership and usage as well as technical matters. For around £15 less I can send you my home-grown Buyer's Guide that might help you to select the wheat from the chaff. If you e-mail me at derek.uzzell@talk21.com I'll be very happy to e-mail you a FREE copy back.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lindsay
If you want something to use every day then you might find it hard to beat the Adria Twin. Its only 5.6m long and the dogs travel in the back under the fixed bed (which folds up in half). the dinette makes a small bed which would be fine for a child. After much searching we found a compromise necessary. The twin is well made and insulated and has two passenger seats with proper seatbelts - forward facing, - which many don't. It gives us about 29mpg and is very easy to manoevre around - has smashing big wingmirrors. We too went with a list of must haves, would likes and luxury requirements - and some ideas from the magazine - and found everything we could possibly want to see at the NEC show. Found the Manchester one very disappointing, mostly caravans. You will need at least a whole day there though...Good Luck!

Archived