Driving Licence Expiry Date

david lloyd

Just read a thred on another forum regarding the photo driving licence having an expiry date that people may not be aware of.

The original article was posted on a Coach Forum and is quite lengthy so I have copied it here rather than type it all out again - as follows:-

"Please pass on to all workers / volunteers.

Unwitting motorists face £1,000 fines as thousands of photo card driving licences expire Thousands of motorists are at risk of being fined up to £1,000 because they are unwittingly driving without a valid licence. They risk prosecution after failing to spot the extremely small print on their photo card licence which says it automatically expires after 10 years and has to be renewed - even though drivers are licensed to drive until the age of 70.

The fiasco has come to light a decade after the first batch of photo licences was issued in July 1998, just as they start to expire. Motoring organisations blamed the Government for the fiasco and said 'most' drivers believed their licences were for life. Enlarge A mock-up driving licence from 1998 when the photo cards were launched shows the imminent expiry date as item '4b' They said officials had failed to publicise sufficiently the fact that new-style licences - unlike the old paper ones - expire after a set period and have to be renewed. To rub salt into wounds, drivers will have to a pay £17.50 to renew their card - a charge which critics have condemned as a 'stealth tax' and which will earn the Treasury an estimated £437million over 25 years. Official DVLA figures reveal that while 16,136 expired this summer, so far only 11,566 drivers have renewed, leaving 4,570 outstanding. With another 300,000 photo card licences due to expire over the coming year, experts fear the number of invalid licences will soar, putting thousands more drivers in breach of the law and at risk of a fine. At the heart of the confusion is the small print on the tiny credit- card-size photo licence, which is used in conjunction with the paper version. Just below the driver name on the front of the photo card licence is a series of dates and details - each one numbered. Number 4b features a date in tiny writing, but no explicit explanation as to what it means.

The date's significance is only explained if the driver turns over the card and reads the key on the back, which states that ‘4b’, means 'licence valid to'. Even more confusingly, an adjacent table on the rear of the card sets out how long the driver is registered to hold a licence - that is until his or her 70th birthday. A total of 25million new-style licences have been issued but - motoring experts say - drivers were never sufficiently warned they would expire within or after 10 years.

Motorists who fail to renew their licences in time are allowed to continue driving. But the DVLA says they could be charged with 'failing to surrender their licence', an offence carrying a £1,000 fine.

AA president, Edmund King said: 'It is not generally known that photo card licences expire: there appears to be a lack of information that people will have to renew these licences. 'People think they have already paid them for once over and that is it. 'It will come as a surprise to motorists and a shock that they have to pay an extra £17.50.' The AA called on the Government to use the annual £450million from traffic enforcement fines to offset the renewal charge."

I have checked my licence and, sure enough, it has a 4b expiry date within next 3 years and my wife's is due for renewal next year.

It would be wise for everyone to check their licence. More information can be obtained here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DG_068315

Regards, David

david lloyd - 2009-02-06 7:22 PM

Just read a thred on another forum regarding the photo driving licence having an expiry date that people may not be aware of.

The original article was posted on a Coach Forum and is quite lengthy so I have copied it here rather than type it all out again - as follows:-

"Please pass on to all workers / volunteers.

Unwitting motorists face £1,000 fines as thousands of photo card driving licences expire Thousands of motorists are at risk of being fined up to £1,000 because they are unwittingly driving without a valid licence. They risk prosecution after failing to spot the extremely small print on their photo card licence which says it automatically expires after 10 years and has to be renewed - even though drivers are licensed to drive until the age of 70.

The fiasco has come to light a decade after the first batch of photo licences was issued in July 1998, just as they start to expire. Motoring organisations blamed the Government for the fiasco and said 'most' drivers believed their licences were for life. Enlarge A mock-up driving licence from 1998 when the photo cards were launched shows the imminent expiry date as item '4b' They said officials had failed to publicise sufficiently the fact that new-style licences - unlike the old paper ones - expire after a set period and have to be renewed. To rub salt into wounds, drivers will have to a pay £17.50 to renew their card - a charge which critics have condemned as a 'stealth tax' and which will earn the Treasury an estimated £437million over 25 years. Official DVLA figures reveal that while 16,136 expired this summer, so far only 11,566 drivers have renewed, leaving 4,570 outstanding. With another 300,000 photo card licences due to expire over the coming year, experts fear the number of invalid licences will soar, putting thousands more drivers in breach of the law and at risk of a fine. At the heart of the confusion is the small print on the tiny credit- card-size photo licence, which is used in conjunction with the paper version. Just below the driver name on the front of the photo card licence is a series of dates and details - each one numbered. Number 4b features a date in tiny writing, but no explicit explanation as to what it means.

The date's significance is only explained if the driver turns over the card and reads the key on the back, which states that ‘4b’, means 'licence valid to'. Even more confusingly, an adjacent table on the rear of the card sets out how long the driver is registered to hold a licence - that is until his or her 70th birthday. A total of 25million new-style licences have been issued but - motoring experts say - drivers were never sufficiently warned they would expire within or after 10 years.

Motorists who fail to renew their licences in time are allowed to continue driving. But the DVLA says they could be charged with 'failing to surrender their licence', an offence carrying a £1,000 fine.

AA president, Edmund King said: 'It is not generally known that photo card licences expire: there appears to be a lack of information that people will have to renew these licences. 'People think they have already paid them for once over and that is it. 'It will come as a surprise to motorists and a shock that they have to pay an extra £17.50.' The AA called on the Government to use the annual £450million from traffic enforcement fines to offset the renewal charge."

I have checked my licence and, sure enough, it has a 4b expiry date within next 3 years and my wife's is due for renewal next year.

It would be wise for everyone to check their licence. More information can be obtained here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DG_068315

Regards, David

8-) Again another misinformation. The licence does not expire only the photograph for which the penalty applies. The licence is still valid until 70 years. *-)

I reckon a thankyou is required here to whoever instigated this thread.

I checked and noticed that I've been driving all over Europe for 4 years witout a valid licence.

How's about that then ? It proves I've not been nicked! Ho Ho

Bill

Some months before the dreaded day (!) they send forms etc. If you are happy to stay driving a max of 3.5t then you just have to send photos back with the form if you have the green paper licence, don't know about the photo one, and they will send the new licence which lasts three years. This is free of charge. If you want to retain the ability to drive larger vehicles you have to fill in a huge form and pay for a medical. If you stay with the 3.5t you can still tow as well.

Patricia, thanks - it's far enough away to be casual now, but not so far that I can forget it!! at least I will be able to continue driving. As you know I'm still looking for my ideal MH but I'm pretty sure it will come in under 3.5t but having said that I might do a quick check right now :-)

What Patricia says also applies if you have a photo licence.

Approx 3 months before your 70th birthday you receive through the post application forms to renew your licence and you need to send an up to date photo.

If you choose not to take a medical you will find that the nice long string of letters at the bottom of your licence ( indicating what you can drive) is replaced by about four letters which restrict you up to 3.5T.

I'm told that the compulsory medical, if you want to drive anything bigger, can cost about £80.

But it's not all bad news:

In spite of the fact that you are 70, you are still allowed to use your lawn mower, without a medical.

:-(

May not have to worry soon anyway. I read that a poll amongst young people want to ban all people over 70 driving at all!

At the moment the French retain their entitlement to drive larger vehicles over the age of 70 but this might change. There are new EU laws I believe coming into effect about 2012 with regard to entitlement to drive, re-testing etc. Can't remember though whether they will affect the over 70s.

Had occasion to contact DVLA recently on behalf of an over 70 whose licence is up for renewal later this year at a time when he will normally be out of the country.

This is the e-mail that came back -

If your last licence was a paper style driving licence:

To renew over the age of 70 you will need to complete an application form and return it to the DVLA with one passport sized photograph and relevant identification document.

No fee is required with your application.

Providing your current address is on our records the form will be forwarded to you automatically. The form is sent out approximately three months before your licence is due to expire.

Should you not receive the form, please ask at the Post Office® for a D1 which will be acceptable for the renewal.

At present a retest is not required, and a medical examination would only be necessary if you wish to retain categories D1 and C1 or if you were requested by our Medical Department to do so.

Please note, however, the licence will be renewable every 3 years.

If you currently hold a photocard licence:

To renew over the age of 70 you will need to complete an application form and return it to the DVLA.

Providing your current address is on our records the form will be forwarded to you automatically. The form is sent out approximately three months before your licence is due to expire.

Should you not receive the form, please ask at the Post Office® for a D1 application form, which will be acceptable for the renewal.

At present a retest is not required, and a medical examination would only be necessary if you wish to retain categories D1 and C1 or if you were requested by our Medical Department to do so.

No fee is required with your application.

Please note, the licence will be renewable every 3 years.

At present your photograph is valid for 10 years from the date you first held a photocard licence, however, you may be interested to know that if you produce a new photograph with your application it would make you exempt from producing further photographs in the future.

Alternatively you are able to renew your driving licence on-line by accessing the website below:-

www.direct.gov.uk/motoring

May be of help to someone.

;-)

(!) (!) Before you send off your licence,PHOTO COPY it!!!!!!..I have held

a motorcycle licence for years ,there have been instances where this group,A,has been removed on renewal,to get it back YOU need to prove it was on your licence in the first place!!! (!) (!)

Archived