Rear view CCTV

Brian Kirby

Guest Brian Kirby
Can anyone please help with information? I want to install a rear view CCTV. Don't want just a reversing aid, but a permanently on (when the engine is running) rear view camera and high mounted colour monitor. Just like a rear view mirror. Lots available but........... Being awkward, I don't want to make holes in the bodywork to install same. I have a - more or less - centrally located rear window, the usual double glazed slightly tinted polycarbonate type. What I should like to do is mount the camera inside the van, up against the window, looking out through it. I may need to make up suitable brackets for the camera, but that seems practically possible. There may be some slight distortion from the window. There may be some loss of clarity when window is dirty. There may be some loss of light due to tinted plastics. However, accepting those potential disadvantages, I still can't see why this shouldn't work reasonably well. Can you? Many of the available cameras have incorporated microphones - but I don't need that. Many have LEDs for night time, but the van has reversing lights so don't need those. Existing bike rack will obstruct view down, so internal mounting shouldn't be much worse from that standpoint. Do any of you kind people please know enough about CCTV generally, colour cameras, lens angles and colour flat screen monitors to suggest what components, and from where, might work? Many thanks Brian

Brian One really important thing (for me, anyway) is that the monitor should be cable of switching the image received into "mirror" mode. That means that, with the camera looking rearwards, the monitor facing rearwards, and you facing forward looking at the monitor, any object behind the motorhome to the left appears on the left side of the monitor. Without this facility it will be giving you a "false" reading. Regards Neal

Guest Dave Newell
Brian, I have seen this done before but (and this is only my opinion) the camera mounted inside the window is more unsightly than when mounted outside. Also it will be lower down than if it were outside limiting its usefulness for rearward vision. When mounted high up on the rear of the van a good quality camera with a reasonably wide angle lens will give good vision down the rear panel for reversing but also allow rearwards vision of up to 60 feet or so (depends on camera and how high it can be mounted) which is useful while driving. The inbuilt LEDs are generally not much good as they tend to only illuminate a small area in the middle of the picture. A second reversing light is usually much better although I find most motorhome owners do very little reversing in the dark (we're usually opening a bottle or two by nightfall). Mounting the screen where the internal mirror usually sits is quite feasible as long as the monitor isn't too large (I find around 5inch to be fine) that's where my own is. As Neal says reverse image ability is very impoertant otherwise obstructions appear in the display on the wrong side and could cause you to turn the wrong way and hit something. By the way it is perfvectly acceptable to use the cam while driving as long as the monitor doesn't obstruct the drivers view through the area of windscreen swept by the wipers. feel free to call me on 01952 587702 if you would like to discuss this further on a one to one, Dave.

Guest john steggles
Further to the above. I have always used my reversing camera as a rear view mirror. My only problem has been that I am unable to see very far back along the road as the lens is very wide angle. Does anyone know if a less wideangle lens is available?

Guest Dave Newell
John, Less wide angle cameras are available but the reduced angle of view means it's difficult to use one cam for both reversing (i.e. looking down the back of the motorhome) and long distance rear vision. Some motorhome reversing cams (notably those used by Burstner for example) are such a wide angle they fall into the "fish-eye" category and are so wide an angle they are actually of limited use for reversing. Typical reversing cams (the proper ones, not these cheapo jobs that are actually domestic security cams in disguise)give between 90 and 120 degrees horizontal viewing angle which is good for seeing down the rear of the motorhome and, assuming the cam is mounted as high as possible on the rear panel, should give anywhere between 30 to 60 feet of rearward vision. further than that should be visible in side mirrors. Regards, Dave. www.davenewell.co.uk

Guest Dave Newell
Brian, I did e-mail you the info but I've resent it anyway. I've got one of the cams we talked about and rigged it up and I reckon it will do what you want nicely. Dave.

Archived