helper spring

hymer1942

hymer1942

As Michele says, it was just a shot in the dark based on your forum user-name and the 416 chassis reference. Working from the assumption that the vehicle might be an S-Class I guessed at an age of at least 2 years as I thought the 416 chassis wasn't used on those Hymer models after 2006. I also felt that, if the motorhome were much older than 3 years, you wouldn't have asked about the spring failure on the forum - just accepted that the breakage was age-related.

The S-650 wasn't an excessively large motorhome, so its 4600kg chassis should be well capable of handling any sort of payload an owner might impose on it. I'm not familiar with the exact specification of an S-650's rear suspension, other than it uses leaf-springs, so I'm not sure what a "helper spring" is. Are you referring to an additional coil-spring between the rear axle and the chassis, or a supplementary leaf-spring that comes into play when the vehicle is heavily loaded? It would also be handy to have more details of the breakage itself, just in case someone else has had the same problem, or the subject comes up again in future.

I don't know whether the 416 chassis has any history of the type of spring failure you've experienced, but I suspect not. You might try asking a Mercedes commercial main dealer, though I think I'd contact Hambilton Engineering

http://www.friendlyhippo.co.uk/hymerdirect/

for advice as they are Hymer-literate and may be able to tell you how much the repair is likely to cost.

Doubtless a silly question, but what is the position re warranty?  Mercedes are supposed to be among the more supportive manufacturers regarding failures just outside the warranty period.  If you bought in UK, isn't there a three year warranty?  Might they cover at least part of the cost.  A fault of some kind in the tempering of the leaf seems at least possible, and is not unheard of so, on the face of it, they might accept some of the liability even if the warranty has expired.

Guest JudgeMental
hymer1942 - 2009-02-11 6:11 PM

Hi Brian that was my thought at just over 3yrs and only done 11000 Kms

I am hoping that I might get the part.

But if LHD as indicated....Probably only 2 year warranty on chassis?

Still worth a try, contact dealer where you bought it. At end of the day you probably saved a shed load of money buying LHD :-D

Archived