Satellite TV

mondo

I had a Tracvision R4 satellite system fitted on me motorhome, obviously when I got it they said "This is the best ever". We are currently resident in Camping Eden in Peniscola but we dont get any terrestrial channels IE Beeb 1/2 ITV,CH4 CH5 I have a sky box and me sky card. Thing is I got all me channels thru France but why not in Spain.Having spoke to lots of people they say down here you need a bigger dish ever get the feeling you've been kind of duped cos when I got it I was told I would get a signal anywhere in Europe.I have tried a load of differing frequencies...... can some one explain to me in LAYMANS term without any psychobabble what is the problem. I'm an ex squaddy (cannonfodder) but I do understand the basics of signals well analogue anyway.In Vilanova Park we got a lot more channels than here at Peniscola HELP the Boss is missing DANCING ON ICE

Hi,

I used to have an interest in this sort of stuff many moons ago before the digital tv age, but im very rusty (seized almost).

You should be able to check the possilbily of you receiving the signal by referring to a Satellite Footprint Map.

It is all dependant on what satellite it is you want to receive (I think Astra 2b carries the signal you are after), and the size of the dish you are using.

Take a look here it may (hopefully) help.

http://www.brymar.co.uk/info/Astra/astra_sky/astra_sky.html

GOOD LUCK.

HELP the Boss is missing DANCING ON ICE

Got to services, add channels. Enter 12402, V, 27500, 2/3. If you get a list of ITV1 channels save one with the yellow button.

To view, go to services, 'other channels'. Hope it works for you!!

Incidentally I can receive all the 2d channels OK when I'm parked up at Panoramica Golf club, just inland from Vinarós.

Down here in Valencia we need a 1.9m dish to receive 2D.

Also, if you go 504 (BBC Parliament) and press the red button, you'll get access to BBC Multiscreens. The default is News, but if you enter 300 you'll get the Sports. Currently the Rugby is on.

400 will get Weather and 500 will get Entertainment.

I will be as simple as I can (not difficult my wife tells me!).

There are two beams transmitted from the satellites (there are a group of them referred to as "Astra" or 28.2 (The heading in degrees) )

They transmit various beams but the two you are interested in are "North beam" and "South beam". North beam can be received with a large dish (at least 1 metre) over most of Spain. A small dish (60cm) will "pull in" the North beam as far south as Roses. The north beam carries all the BBC ITV channels and they are not encrypted.

The "South beam" carries all the channels but most are encrypted and require a suitable satellite receiver ( it doesn't have to be a "SKY" one but if it is, it will work, of course).

So you need to find the "South beam" (the strong one) and do a scan, the receiver may well do this for you if it is a SKY one, if not you will have to do it manually. You should then be able to see all the channels you are missing, but only if your set up can decode the encrypted channels.

CNN or BBC World are a couple of channels to "get your aim" with.

Good luck.

Over and out.

Geoff

Derek 500 you have a PM all who have replied ta but nothing seems to work ,it's not that I've been sold a dud it 's just that it's not that good a system so contrary to the blurb Caveat Emptor,don't be fooled.I know we as motorhomers should not damn products but if I had to choose it would probably be an Oyster!!!!!!

Guest JudgeMental

I will start of buy saying I know little regards sat systems. But I know this....It’s common knowledge that into Spain you will need a very large dish. And I believe very dificult to get BBC/ITV with a van mounted system. But try programming as Derek suggests.

I thought down south you can pick up some English speaking channels via "hotbird" instead of Astra?

Did you get your system fitted by PHLY? As they supply a box with the Tracvision dome that offers the choice of different satellites. they would have pre programmed it for hotbird and the N & S beam astra's I believe if you asked for it........

CNN or BBC World are a couple of channels to "get your aim" with.

BBC World doesn't transmit at 28.2. However, a small dish should pick up Sky News and BBC News (formerly BBC News 24), which both transmit on pan-European beams.

BBC World and Sky News are available on a a small dish on Astra 1 at 19.2.

mondo - 2009-02-15 5:48 PM

Derek 500 you have a PM all who have replied ta but nothing seems to work ,it's not that I've been sold a dud it 's just that it's not that good a system so contrary to the blurb Caveat Emptor,don't be fooled.I know we as motorhomers should not damn products but if I had to choose it would probably be an Oyster!!!!!!

The trouble is no manufacturer can defy the laws of physics. You need a large dish in Spain and I would be very surprised if Tracvision have said you'll be able to get 2D on such a small dish, further south than Barcelona.

Simon at CA Clase who are the franchisees for Tracvision was very helpful he gave us a lot of frequencies but we tried em all but NADA,my complaint is and I told him this why advertise it as it will get a picture when it don't .The guy who installed it said it would get a picture anywhere in Europe again oooops.

I've had PMs from Derek500 tried his way but NO plus er indoors is on me case cos no Corrie or Stenders or Emmerdale what did we do before the one eyed monster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact is it will get A picture anywhere in Europe, just not necessarily the picture you want. The UK channels are broadcast fro Astra 2 which is located 28.2 degrees East of the Greenwich Meridian. This satellite group (for there are more than just one satellite referred to as Astra 2) has various "footprints" depending on what channels you wish to view. The footprint is the area of Europe that any particular channel group is focused on. BBc, ITV, channels four and five are, in general focused over the UK. These channels are easily received in Holland, Western Germany, Northern France, Belgium with a small dish ( as small as 30CM in good weather conditions). Further afield you will need a bigger dish as at the edges of the footprint the signal strength is less. I have no experience of the Tracvision but I have fitted Camos domes and had good feedback from owners, however, unells you are very lucky (or very clever perhaps) you will need a much bigger dish when you get down beyond northern Spain.

D.

Guest JudgeMental
mondo - 2009-02-15 7:11 PM

Simon at CA Clase who are the franchisees for Tracvision was very helpful he gave us a lot of frequencies but we tried em all but NADA,my complaint is and I told him this why advertise it as it will get a picture when it don't .The guy who installed it said it would get a picture anywhere in Europe again oooops.

I've had PMs from Derek500 tried his way but NO plus er indoors is on me case cos no Corrie or Stenders or Emmerdale what did we do before the one eyed monster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well there’s your problem...the only agent selling this unit with the pre programmed sat box which is free (not the receiver) is PHLY ltd. They developed this because they considered it limited in use without it I believe. Map on their site shows sky available in Valencia but no BBC/ITV

http://www.phly.co.uk/tracvision/tracvision.html

Sorry but it’s a case of caveat emptor again, you could have asked on here first. There is a lot of sites in Spain with cable TV on them....can't you move to one of them if desperate....

Guest JudgeMental
Mike88 - 2009-02-17 12:08 PM

Judgemental. Where are these sites with cabled TV. I've only come across 2 - both in Benidorm. In the winter a list of such sites would be very useful.

Thanks.

I have seen them mentioned on here and MHF when over wintering has been discussed. Sorry, but I did not make a specific note of them.

Archived