Air-assisted suspension, load sensing valves and demountable campers

Amazon20RB

When I bought my (Ford Ranger) pickup in 2006 I fitted a Firestone 'Drive-Rite' system to the rear suspension to reduce the tendency to roll when we were carrying our demountable and it worked fantastically well. In the fitting instructions which came with the system was this: "If the vehicle is fitted with ABS and Load Sensing Valve (LSV), ...", which it is, "... then adjust the LSV to give maximum braking (1:1), by disconnecting the spring link between the rear axle and the LSV arm." I did this and I've been using the pickup this way quite happily and safely, with and without the demountable, for the last three years. However, I have now discovered that the pickup cannot pass its MOT test (first due in June this year) with the LSV linkage disconnected. One criterion for MOT failure is "Evidence that a load sensing valve has been removed or disconnected from a vehicle where it is known to have been fitted as standard". I got that from here: http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_360.htm. For now, I've reconnected the LSV and will see how the outfit drives with it like that but, presumably, Firestone's advice was based on safety concerns and the MOT requirement might be undermining that. Has anybody else come across this contradiction and, if so, how have you resolved it? As you would expect, my primary concern is that we can travel as safely as possible.

Guest JudgeMental

I had a swedish demountable for years ....never bothered about the valve. never touched it, and don't know any who ever did.

Over on german demountable forum it was never mentioned either :-D

What camper have you?

Although I have Air-rides fitted to my m/home I know nothing about your predicament but I did notice that you obviously spend a lot of time in France. From my experience with "MOTs" in France they are much less fussy about things (depends on the area though) so maybe (just a suggestion!) it may be worth re-registering in France and getting the first inspection done there.

Amazon

There's a section in John Wickersham's book "Build your own Motorcaravan" about motorhome suspension. This includes advice on brake compensators and the effect on these of fitting 'air assistance' devices like the Drive-Rite product. A whole page in the book details the installation on a motorhome of AL-KO's similar Air Top kit and the photos show the original lever-operated load-sensitive brake compensation arrangement. The final photo in the sequence shows an in-line valve that has been installed in the brake-pipework to the motorhome's rear wheels and the associated text says "On vehicles without ABS brakes, the lever system is disabled and a brake limiting valve fitted in the hydraulic pipes." So disconnection of an original load-sensing braking system linkage is clearly approved of by AL-KO.

I'm sure Stuart is right to say you should get in touch with Drive-Rite about this. Having reconnected the LSV linkage, if you find that this action adversely affects your vehicle's braking, then common sense indicates that you should disconnect it.

Regarding the MOT test, you can either reconnect the LSV linkage before the test and then disconnect it afterwards (undoubtedly the least controversial option as far as the test is concerned), or discuss the matter well in advance with the tester - presenting Firestone's fitting instructions for inspection. My own experience (though it has tended to rely on having a pally relationship with the MOT tester) is that, if you are aware there's something about your vehicle that might possibly infringe MOT testing regulations, then the tester can often advise how this may be satisfactorily and simply resolved.

Guest JudgeMental
Amazon20RB - 2009-02-16 8:45 AM

It's probably the same Swedish make as you had, an Easy Camper EC8L. Did you have air-rides fitted to your pickup - I know it's a fairly standard modification when carrying a demountable.

Yes I had the EC6L did you buy it directly from Sweden?

I fitted a number of kits to different trucks I had, I always went for the simple kit as only put air in with camper on. They are just about OK for couples but a real compromise, but we managed when children were young. But changed to a Motorhome a few years ago and are managing with one car. Best thing I ever did was to get rid of it, to have the space and comfort to lounge and live, able to bring all your stuff is an eye opener and why I could not go back to a smaller van.

We've gone the other way - had a 21 foot American C-class for ten years and full-timed in it for five of them. Initially we ran a pickup with demountable (Suntrekker) as well the C-class but wanted to get back to running only one vehicle and so sold the C-class and upgraded the demountable. So far haven't regretted it at all and don't really expect to. No, we didn't import it ourselves but, after a lot of research into all the European makes and a few of the smaller Americans, bought it through NSR.

Guest JudgeMental

What really put be of was the new model pickup trucks had smaller beds and where really compromised for carrying a camper compared with earlier models (I had both L200 and the ranger at different times) I was going to get latest Nissan Navara but is was not really suitable. Mind you the new Iveco Massif looks very nice lol and has a 3500kg model coming out.

But at the end of the day the demountable was just too cramped and uncomfortable for us. And we wanted roof air as well as other goodies for Mediterranean camping.

Back on thread! Will be interested to see what you do re load sensing valve, as whenever I asked, all I got was a shrug and never bothered doing anything in the end.........

Archived