To Lake Como and Annecy

Guest Mike

Hi, Have just bought my first motorhome and would appreciate some advice before our first trips abroad. We intend to travel through France to Lake Como in Italy for three weeks in August. Would probably stop in the Annecy/ Lake Geneva area for a while before onwards to Italy. If anyone out there has done a similar trip please advise if Annecy is achievable in one hit from Calais, and again, is Lake Como within reach from Annecy? Next, anyone know of any good sites at these two locations, for three girls, aged 14,12 and 11? Thanks. Mike

Guest Bob Baker
Hi Mike - welcome to the "club" If this is your first road trip abroad as well as your first motorhome trip then have no worries about routes and road conditions in either France or Italy. Having said that I think you might be being a little ambitious about your itineray. Firstly although anything is achievable in one hit (see Jeremy Clarkson for advice) I'm not sure how the girls would react to the experience! My advice would be to set a per day mileage of between 250 and 300 and enjoy the journey. Also do be aware that both of these resorts will be exceptionally busy in August and you should probably book sites in advance. There are good sites at both locations - try the Caravan Club Europe Guides for details (you'll need both editions for France and Italy). Finally be aware that the route around Como is a little narrow in places and Italian drives are crazy! Have a great holiday Bob B

Guest Brian Kirby
Mike Also be aware that if your motorhome is over 2 metres high it will go as Class 2 on French autoroutes. That makes quite a diffrence to the tolls charged for cars (Class 1). To stay sane, and prevent irretrievable family breakdown, I'd say take the driving in max 1.5 to 2 hour bites, with breaks between. August is a bit tricky since the sites do get full. July is probably worse, though and once beyond mid August the less popular areas do thin out. So to be on the safe side, and because you probably won't want to book every site en route, stop driving by around 17:00 latest. Remember you'll "loose" an hour when you cross the channel, so you're unlikely to travel very far on day 1. I'd say allow two more days to Annecy. Then, depending on your route from Annecy to Como, you may need another two days. You may get away with just the one but there can be queues for the tunnels, and the alternative passes are much slower than you may think. Also, but again depending on route, there can be quite big holdups around Turin/Milan if you hit the ring roads around going home time. The autostradae are much cheaper than the autoroutes, and the alternative roads in Italy can be quite tiring and slow. The Italians are great optimists in cars, they continually try to overtake, if you leave more than a cars length in front of you they will, and many of the roads are a continual stream of cars both ways (they'll still try to overtake though). If you're right hand drive you may find this a bit of a strain until you "clock on" to the Italian way. Autostradae are therefore best for a quiet life and progress but the service areas, last time I went, were awful! Be prepared to use the on board facilities for comfort stops! Thats about it! If you plan on the above basis, and everything then works without a hitch, you'll just arrive here or there a bit early. Assume travel at the speed of light and you'll just end (metaphorically) in eternal darkness! Good luck and enjoy Brian

Mike If using the autotradae in Italy buy a VIA card at the first services. You can then use the autotolls without risking your credit card. Also we have found that most of the autostradae services are superior to UK ones. The advice about travel and times is very pertinent; after all it is a holiday! Regards Neal

I have worked out the distance Annecy to Como for you 350km (210miles) The route gos via Mont Blanc Where yo could take the tunnel or go over the top email me at - travellogger-info@yahoo.co.uk And I will work out a route across from you r ferry port across to Como and will also find out details of the Mont Blanc mountain pass route & send back to you Try www.autoroutes.fr?voyage/itineries.php and select the English version You will have to fill in boxes for vehicle - and chose mountain passes or not - It will work out the route calculate costs - Fuel & Tolls

Archived