Outer Hebrides

rupert123

rupert123 - 2009-02-16 3:13 PM

On our Scotland trip last year we went to the Orkneys and this year have decided to visit Outer Hebrides, probably Lewis, Harris, North and South Uist. Anyone done this, tips on campsites/things not to miss would be appreciated.

You should find quite a bit about this using search facility as it was widely discussed not long ago.

We went a couple of years ago travelling north to south, Stornoway down to Barra.

If you contact the Islands Council on Benbecula ( they have a website) they will provide a leaflet on dump stations etc.

There are one or two sites but plenty of wild camping available.

If you get down to Barra there's great wild camping available next to the 'airport' with a fresh water available thru a tap on the airport building.

Great place for motorhomes.

;-)

I presume you know about MacBrayne's Island Hopper Ticket. Few sites, but good basic facilities (water, chemical disposal, even showers) available here and there, especially at piers for visiting yachtspersons. Wild camp, but respect the environment, the macher needs to be preserved and is in danger if over used by heavy vehicles. Great place to visit.

Hi Rupert123.

We spent three weeks last summer on the islands, our second visit, there are few official sites,the grazings tend to be in beautiful areas. Dont miss out Barra having gone so far, the airport is a beautiful beach and facilities are available locally. I may get into trouble for saying this but avoid a site on Harris, Minch Veiw Touring Park,it is disgusting!

Enjoy the wonderful beaches,

Regards , Allan.

Thanks for those thoughts. I have now contacted council as advised and looked at the old threads on this. have added Barra to our visit, it sounds to good to miss. My wife and I dislike so called 'wild camping' which we regard as nothing of the sort, wild camping is a tent in out of the way places, usually in mountain areas, the security aspect also bothers us. In this case it looks as if we may have to at times stay at some of recommended spots where their are at least other people around. Incidently for anyone considering a visit to the Western Isles we checked the individual fares against the rover type ones and every time the individual fares came out cheaper.

rupert123

As a tent camper for over 40 years I agree that motorhoming is definitely not camping, however I think that the term 'wild camping' is used instead of the more accurate 'off-site motorhoming' just because it's less of a mouthfull.

There are a couple of excellent 'off-site' places to stay:

On Harris there is a place called Horgabost, which is on the West Coast looking out to the island of Taransay.

When we were there, there were about a dozen or so others vans also,well above the beach on a dune area.

Same applies to the 'off-site' camping at Barra airport, where there were a line of at least 20 vans - well spread out - along the track by the beach.

As for security, which is always a concern to me, I must say that I never felt anything but secure whilst on the Islands.

A local told me that if any crimes are committed on the islands they simply stop the ferries and the villains are trapped !

(There are not many people there anyway).

Have a good trip.

:-|

couple of things to look at, on Lewis, 'Black House' near Brue(? ), stone houses near Carlaghagh(? ). Look for weavers with open workshops.

Not sure of latest situation, but some 10+ years ago most islands where prody strongholds and everthing shut on sundays, Benbecular being RC shops where open.

Aside from drunkeness and perverts very little crime(at least that was situation 10+ years ago)

Archived