spare alloy wheel

Corky 8

Hi All, I,m looking for a spare wheel for my M/H ,i ts on a fiat chassis ,16ins alloys with the Burstner logo on the centre hub, I can get one from my dealer@ £217.00 Plus vat for one c/w tyre I presume. but knowing the wise people of this forum I thought I,d try you first before buying from my dealer, with whom I have had and still having a very trying time, having returned my first purchase of a Bessacarr E 720 to them and I,m still having problems getting things sorted on my new (2008) motorhome ,with them ,but thats a story I hope to air in the future,so any one thinking of buying a 2004 Bessacarr E720 check the details with me, thanks for any help you can offer. :-D

Forgive the question, but as you're very unlikely ever to fit the spare, why buy an alloy spare wheel?  Even if you intend rotating the spare with the other wheels, so that they all wear out at once (but motorhome tyres usually die from age rather than wear), it would be far cheaper to have the spare tyre swapped to one of the in service alloys, and its tyre fitted to a steel spare.  Or am I misunderstanding, and one of the in service wheels has been damaged?

Forgive the question, but as you're very unlikely ever to fit the spare, why buy an alloy spare wheel?  Even if you intend rotating the spare with the other wheels, so that they all wear out at once (but motorhome tyres usually die from age rather than wear), it would be far cheaper to have the spare tyre swapped to one of the in service alloys, and its tyre fitted to a steel spare.  Or am I misunderstanding, and one of the in service wheels has been damaged?

Hello Brian ,

the four wheels/tyres on my M/H are all in new condition, and the M/H came with a tyre inflation/repair kit with compressor,all well and good for an everyday puncture ,its the case of a blow out that destroys the tyre side wall,the repair kit is then useless, I have thought as you suggest carry a spare steel wheel with fitted tyre. then I also need to carry a set of wheel bolts for the steel wheel, the one concern then is , Is the steel wheel compatible with the three remaining alloys. I know some cars fitted with alloys do only have a temporary steel spare wheel, but there is a difference in weights involved, also whats the legal aspect of running with one steel wheel fitted ? :-D

Provided the tyre fitted to the spare wheel is the same type and size as those on the four service wheels, so far as I know, there is no restriction on using a steel wheel in conjunction with the alloys, and no limitation on speed or the distance you can travel thus shod. 

You're right about needing four different bolts, and of course the steel wheel itself will be bit bit heavier than an alloy wheel, so if load is a consideration the alloy may be advantageous.  Why not have a word with a Fiat dealer to see what they say? 

I believe it is/was possible to specify alloys on the Ducato, and suspect that if they do, only four alloys are supplied with a steel spare.  If they say that is the normal practise, go to your nearest Peugeot dealer and ask how much they would charge of the appropriate wheel.  I seem to remember someone saying the Peugeot wheel was cheaper than the Fiat, though both are (so far as I know) identical.  However, before you do that, check that the tyres actually fitted to your van are of a section suitable for the standard steel wheel, just to be on the safe side.  Good luck.

Last year, my daughter had a puncture, tyre wrecked & as usual, called Dad to the rescue. Car then was a Citroen C4, with 4 alloys & a spacesaver steel spare.

I found that the wheel bolts had been cunningly designed to suit both types of wheel, with, IIRC, a flat washer to lock up the alloy wheel & a cone to lock up the steel wheel. So there was no need for two types of bolt.

Don't know if this is common to vehicles with a steel spare & alloy wheels, but it might be worth investigating further.

Burstner's January 2007 brochure indicates that the designs of the alloy wheels offered vary according to motorhome model and make of chassis - but, essentially the wheels are 'ordinary-type' or "Burstner-design" (as apparently fitted to Corky's Aviano). It is quite likely that the latter wheels have been specifically produced for Burstner and, while it may be possible to obtain cheaper look-alikes, identical wheels may not be available other than through Burstner itself.

It's not that uncommon for alloy wheels to require different bolts/nuts to their steel-construction equivalents. In fact, there was a piece in Motorhome Monthly about the Editors swapping their Fiat-based Frankia's steel wheels for alloys and the replacement wheels requiring different bolts. (I vaguely recall a location stud also needing to be removed from the hub for the alloys to fit.)

Burstner's 2007 options-list gives a price of £605 for four Burstner-design alloy wheels for an Aviano (and an overall weight-saving of 15kg). At around £150 per wheel, the roughly £250 (VAT Inc) quoted by Corky's dealer doesn't seem outrageous (provided, of course, that the £250 does indeed include the tyre!)

Me, I'd opt for the genuine Burstner alloy wheel for use as a spare rather than a nearly-the-same alloy or a steel version. This is simply because alloy wheels damage much more easily than steel ones and, as they are basically 'fashion items', bespoke-design alloys may not remain available long-term. If you damage an alloy wheel badly and you've got an identical alloy spare wheel, then you can always get a steel wheel to replace the damaged alloy one. But if your spare wheel is already steel, you may be unable to source an exact replacement for your ruined alloy wheel if the damage happens several years down the line.

Thanks Derek, I will bite the bullet and go for the original wheel , I have tried numerous alloy wheel sale sites with no luck, and I would feel uncomfortable with a steel wheel as a spare, Many thanks to you all who have taken the time to respond really appreciated,

Thanks again Corky :-D

I have just been through the process of costing a Burstner Alloy wheel against a standard Ducato X250 steel wheel.

Burstner Jubilee Polished Alloy 15 inch £325 (To fit Burstner Ixeo).

Fiat Standard Steel 15 inch £86.24 plus a set of steel wheel bolts £3.21.

Neither of these prices include a tyre, valve, fitting and balancing.

Regards,

Mike.

Archived