August - brittany

Guest Alf W

I know that August is thee BUSY month in France, but for family reasons we are going to Brittany then. We will tour rather than stick to the one spot, are not large site/beach fanatics. Can any one advise if we will be able to take pot luck at small inland sites or had we better book everything in advance ?

Guest DavidRon
Have a look at breton bikes web site at www.bretonbikes.com/gouarec there,s a link on there which takes you to Camping Tost Aven. This site is in the village of Gouarec alongside a canal. The site is level, each hookup bollard has its own water tap, and there is a MH dump point. Lovely area for cycling. The English owner says he's never full even at peak.

Guest DavidRon
Sorry Alf, I clicked the send before I'd finished. (new laptop) Gourarec is just over 60 miles from Roscoff. Two supermarkets and restaurants 5 min walk from site. Canoeing and a swimming pool within 100yds. We went there in sept. last year and it was very quiet. The email address on the web site is out of date, if you want to contact David Baxter try baxter.david@wanadoo.fr

Guest Keith T
Hi Laf - we go to france regularly, and land at Roscoff, so spend some time in brittany. Our expeireince is that for sites from about 16th August, we never have any probelems, as the French tend to be 'on their way home' by them. I suggest it depends what sort of site you want, but at worst phone them to check space before arriving. There's also some good Aires, including one at Roscoff, not far from the ferry termincal, and a couple at St Pol de Leon, near Morlaix, both of which are well used, and we have stayed there. You may also find space just by the ferry terminal at St Malo. Plenty of sites all around Brittany, though, and don't think you'd have much problem out of french peak weeks. Enjoy your trip

Guest Brian Ramsden
Try the aire at Concarneau (/www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm) I am sure that you will get in here ok and it is free. You may be advised to get there early in the day - say before 4pm Brian

If you have facilities to avoid camping on site for 2days or more then you should try a few aires as there are many round the coast. Favorites of ours are Piriac sur mer, Quiberon (pointe de Congul: no facilities), Camaret sur Mer (busy), Plouha (Plage le Palus) & Vivier sur Mer(by mussel&oyster bar). Reccommend Muinicipal, Pleven near Dinan.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Phil: I'm familiar with the places you mention (except for the Quiberon one) but, personally, I'd steer well clear of them during the tourist mad season. I believe Pointe du Conguel is just a big parking place, not an 'aire' as such. There is an aire de services on the Quiberon Peninsula (by the smelly sewage works!), but it's regularly out of action and the parking area is recognised as being murderously crowded in mid-summer. (It also has a reputation for vandalism.) Over the years Quiberon has become increasingly resistant to the swarms of motorcaravanners who wish to free-camp and, in my opinion, if you want to stay there, you would be wiser to pick a campsite.

Archived