euro 2009/absolute beginners

judlington

Hi, my wife and I, our two boys aged 4 and 2 and our dog, have purchased an Eldiss Autoquest 56 reg in new condition, we intend to travel through France into Italy, Spain etc, staying in dog friendly, secure campsites for approx 1 week at a time. We intend to leave at the end of March and return approx 3 months later. We have pet passports etc all sorted. We are absolute beginners and have never even stayed in the motorhome yet. We have joined the caravan club.

Our main concerns are being stopped by pretend policemen and general security issues. Has anyone got any little snippets of advice about absolutely anything relating to security or gas , electric hookups or anything you think would be useful please. All information will be greatly appreciated.

(?)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Number 1 rule do not park overnight on motorway aires other aires in towns and villages are ok for a stopover. Best to purchase CC Camping Card ACSI for low cost out of season discount camping @ 11/13/15 euro's a night and All the Aires France available from a wonderful stockists  www.vicariousbooks.co.uk purchase online for almost return postage . You have come to the right forum for advice and no doubt you will get a lot of information over the next few days from the wonderful archive of european travellers here online . Happy Traveling .

Hello & welcome, I'm sure you're going to, but how many nights will you get in the van before you actually go?

The number of issues that will arise from just one night will astound you and in my opinion it's a no brainer not to do so. Even if you can't get away in the van, could you sleep in it parked in the drive?

I suggest you you make good use of the search facility on here, (when it works..) to help you with specific matters like hook ups etc as of course they've been covered more times than I care to mention.

You never stop learning, I know that we haven't in our 9 years of motorhoming and every trip to France brings new experience.

Bogus Police?, not yet for us, dicky hook ups? just exercise common sense, i.e if they look poorly maintained, they almost certainly will be and don't bother with them..

Martyn

I too was a newcomer last year and I like yourself own an autoquest 07 reg .About the travelling get in touch with Vicarious Books phone 0131 2083333 they will despatch any books you buy on return of post the Aires book and the ACSI book with the discount card just can't be beaten .Common sense prevails on your overnight stops .We travelled across France in January this year used the Aires and it is a great experience.By all means buy the motorhome mags they all give fabulous advice .................. Happy Trails mate

Hi,

There are numerous campsites in france as well as municipal Aires, we have stopped at both in France and never had any security issues and most are doggy freindly. The cost can vary depending on what facilities you want, camsites with pools etc can be quite expensive. As our kids have grown up, we are on our own so we tend to use basic campsites and municipal aires and pay beween 5 &12 Euros a night,or nothing out of season. Hook up is available at campsites but not always at municipal aires. You will need to take vehicle docs, insurance certificate and proof of purchase to proove that it is yours. Don't forget you will need a first aid kit, reflective jacket and triangles(2 for spain)and a spare bulb set, you will get a heafty fine in France if you do not have these items with you around 130 euros at least,again all these items or easily availble.

Not all campsites use the blue socket so you will need a blue trailing socket with a lead and french plug on the other end, these are freely available in France at Motorhome accessory dealers and hardware outlets like castorama. A socket tester to check that the polarity and earth connections are correct is handy, I also carry a blue plug and socket reverse wired and labled, in case of reverse polarity, which is very common in France, in my experience about 8 out of ten are incorrectly wired.

Water can be topped up at campsites and tanks and cassettes emtied, there are also numerous aire de services on route with water and disposal facillities, most motorway aires have these but it is not advisable to stop overnight on motorway aires, its always worth going of the motorway and finding a municiple aire for the night.

Gas bottles have different connectors on the continent,so if you run out and if you have a bulkhead mounted gas reg you will need to change the flexible pipe to fit the continental cylinders, or if you have a bottle mounted reg then you will need to change it, both are available from hardware outlets, If you are using hookup mainly and you start with 2 full bottles then gas should not be a problem, its the heating that hammers it. As far as security goes your doggy is a good deterant but we always leave an old hand bag (not mine!) with an old mobile phone and old credit cards plus a bit of general bits and pieces that are useless, so that in the event of a breakin this would be taken and the van not wrecked. If you do not like the feel of the area in which you wish to park and leave the vehicle then go somewhere else, Just be as careful as you would in the UK.

I have only scratched the service and no doubt you will recieve lots of good advice on this from other forum users. I hope you enjoy your trip and good luck,

Geoff

Hi if you are worried about security stay on campsites, try and use municipal sites these are allways near town centres and within walking distance, never book in for more than one night till you know what you are geting, you can allways extend next day, no nead to book a vet on your way back most will treat your dog the same day or next day, buy your frontline at a chemist in France or take some with you this will save you paying top price at the vets, if you want the address of a vets ask on here, you nead to use your van as much as possible before setting off abroad , do you know about reversed polarity and what to do about it , if not ask on here, just go and enjoy it , Mac

Welcome Tracey and Jud.

Just a list of ideas you might like to consider:

As well as the publications already suggested buy the Caravan Club campsite guides - you will need both but they are cheaper to members and give descriptions of sites by CC members which give a lot more detail about the sites.

I am not sure that most aires would be suitable with small children from a safety point of view as on many aires the m/homes are very close together and there is frequent movement. Probably nowhere safe to play either although there are exceptions. Have a look at campingcar-infos.com for some ideas - many of them have photos attached.

Really important I think to try out your m/home in England first to decide which things to take or leave behind as the case may be. Don't forget it can still be quite cold on the continent (have been in snow in Switzerland and Italy in June) or you could get temperatures in the 40s so a selection of clothing is sensible.

Preventative medicine is another essential especially for the children - cream for bites, suncream and stomach upset remedies spring to mind - and don't forget the health cards (check they are still in date), insurance for the dog maybe and Frontline for the inevitable ticks. If you are going near the Med get advice re the dog from your vet.

A secure safe bolted to the chassis is a good idea for your important documents but carry photocopies of them (it is illegal to be without identification in most countries). Put all valuables in it overnight as intruders are very quiet - again personal experience within the family. Fit extra security locks on the cab doors at least - apparently these are the most vulnerable.

Toys and activities for the children for the (to them) boring journeys.

Motorways in France can be expensive but the plus side is that there are plenty of safe stopping places where the children can let off steam. On the other roads lay-byes are often right on the edge of the carriageway.

With regards to security issues most places are as safe as anywhere but some are beginning to get a bad reputation. The A9 in southern France and roads in Spain and Italy are being targetted by the thieves, I have had personal experience of this (accomplice asking the driver for money etc. while thief is scratching at the window blinds) so keep an eye on the m/home door i.e. don't leave it open and be on the off-side to it possibly chatting with other campers (this applies on campsites). Most campsites in Spain and southern France have guards at night.

Once you are happy that you have thought of all the pitfalls go off and enjoy yourselves. Hope you have a wonderful time.

You are going to get a lot of stuff with this question, a lot of people will disagree on some things but no doubt you will form your own opinion. First do not worry about it, things like security are common sense and you will hear a lot of 'urban myths' with regard to m/h's. I would agree do not stay on Aires with small kids unless it is just an overnight stop to rest while travelling. Motorway aires are no where near as bad as most say, again use common sense and only stay if a lot of others around. Hookups are nearly all converted to the blue plug now but as had been said carry one with a two pin on one end. Reverse polarity with a modern m/h forget it. I have never checked and can see no reason why you would bother. Gas, convert to something like Gaslow if you can, it will save you money and hassle in the long term, with two simple adaptors you can fill up in most places. It is probably good advice to try your van out first on a short trip but my wife and I just took of for six weeks away with no try out at all and were fine, you will soon sort things out. Have a great time. Would agree with books mentioned, all the aires, cc books, ACSI book.

The advice above re electrical connections is good.  I would add that you'll need a minimum 25 metre hook up cable, as connections are frequently poorly distributed around sites. 

You should be able to find a "continental" two pin plug adaptor cable in most UK caravan or motorhome dealers with accessory shops, ditto a plug in polarity tester. 

Reversed polarity frequently arises outside the UK.  Simply stated, connecting the live wire to the live terminal and the neutral wire to the neutral terminal is not of great importance in non-UK electrical practise.  However, it can be a safety issue where UK standard installations, and some appliances, are connected.  There is a low level risk of fire, and possibly shock, under some circumstances.  You will not know which way the connections in any site terminal have been wired, unless you use a tester. 

Simplest, and safest, if you find polarity is reversed, therefore, is to use a converter cable.  This is just a short length of hook up cable, maybe 300mm long, with a blue CEE plug one end and blue CEE socket the other end: both should be obtainable from the same source as the continental adaptor and the polarity tester.  Just cut 300mm from the end of your hook up cable complete with its plug.  Connect the new plug to the cut end of the main cable.  Then, connect the new socket to the cut end of the short piece of cable, but in doing so connect the brown (live) wire to the N or "-" terminal, and the blue (neutral) wire to the L or "+" terminal.  Connect the earth wire as normal.  Now, if your tester indicates reversed polarity, disconnect at the site connection, and insert the reversing cable between supply socket and hook up cable, or between the continental adaptor cable and the hook up cable.  The current will now arrive in your van correctly oriented.  Job done: cup of tea - or whatever!  Do keep the converter cable short, however, as the height of supply points varies widely, and you don't want the plug/socket connections lying on the (possibly wet) ground: they are not waterproof, only weatherproof.  If your tester indicates a bad, or no, earth (possible!) try another supply socket, and if none work don't use the supply at all, and if you have paid extra for it ask for you money back explaining why.

Gas.  There is no commonality of bottled gas across Europe, except Camping Gaz's silly little bottles.  Thus, you cannot exchange UK cylinders outside the UK. Ditto French, Italian, Spanish etc etc.  The cylinder connections are also different, except that the standard French propane connection is the same fit as a standard UK Butane connection.  Your van should have a bulkhead mounted 30mb regulator.  Unfortunately, I can't find information on the maximum size of gas cylinder you can fit in your gas locker.  If the locker will take two 13Kg capacity cylinders, so much the better.  Check that you have a T connector allowing two cylinders to both be connected to the regulator, or better still an automatic changeover device.  If neither is present, get whichever you prefer fitted.  Now buy one full 13Kg propane cylinder (Calor or whatever) and, at the same time, pick up a UK standard Butane pigtail (the rubber hose between cylinder and regulator).  As you pass through France, go to a rural supermarket and buy, I'd suggest, a 13Kg Butagaz (because it is about the most widely available make) propane cylinder (pale blue on top, silver below).  Stick that in your locker and connect to the UK butane pigtail.  Another job done: another cuppa!

Then, use the French cylinder first with the UK one as reserve.  You may need to start the UK cylinder before you return, in which case you should be able to swap the Butagaz cylinder for a full one at almost any French rural supermarket.  Since most trips to the mainland involve passing through some of France, having the French cylinder is not an inconvenience, and the UK cylinder is easily changed on return to UK.  Two 13Kg cylinders should last you for the duration, even allowing for some heating being necessary until you get far enough south, and late enough, for the weather to warm up.  If you gas locker won't take two 13Kg cylinders, as you are a family, I think the best alternative will be to have installed the largest refillable cylinders you can install and, if it will take only one cylinder, the same is even more true.  You'll need the filler point installed somewhere accessible from outside the gas locker (so that there is no misunderstanding that you are filling a loose cylinder), and then fill up with Autogas wherever, and whenever, need coincides with opportunity.

Rule number 1:

Don't worry. Be happy.

We've lived here in Spain for 6 years now, and trundle all over Spain and Potugal in our Motorhome, mainly "wildcamping" but also at cheapo sites.

We've never had a security problem.

Not at home, not out and about, not travelling, not staying overnight in "strange" places.

Not once.

Waht has happened however, time after time after time, is that we've been humbled by the friendliness and helpfulness of the Spanish people that we've met all along our way.

And we've seen the most amazing wildlife, scenery, architecture, heritage; and sampled the most fantastic local foods and drinks.

It's maybe worth remembering that crime rates in Spain are MILES lower than in the UK, especially away form the crowded Costas coasts.....and frnakly the interior of Spain is far more interesting in the main.

Of course there is risk. There is a risk every time you go out of the front door, or get out of bed. Just use common sense, as you would in any other situation.

But please don't let a false perception of risks put you off from adventuring and widening your horizons.

99.999% of the people you will meet really are honest, helpful, and meeting them enriches your lives. And for the remainder, there's the baseball bat.

Rule number 1:

Don't worry. Be happy.

We've lived here in Spain for 6 years now, and trundle all over Spain and Potugal in our Motorhome, mainly "wildcamping" but also at cheapo sites.

We've never had a security problem.

Not at home, not out and about, not travelling, not staying overnight in "strange" places.

Not once.

Waht has happened however, time after time after time, is that we've been humbled by the friendliness and helpfulness of the Spanish people that we've met all along our way.

And we've seen the most amazing wildlife, scenery, architecture, heritage; and sampled the most fantastic local foods and drinks.

It's maybe worth remembering that crime rates in Spain are MILES lower than in the UK, especially away form the crowded Costas coasts.....and frnakly the interior of Spain is far more interesting in the main.

Of course there is risk. There is a risk every time you go out of the front door, or get out of bed. Use common sense, just as you would in any other situation.

mendipman - 2009-02-18 9:50 PM

Camping gaz 907 bottles , Are they readily available to swop for uk ones (?) (?) Are these the ones Brian described as "silly little ones" (?) Dave

They are certainly widely available in France. I think the only place in Europe where we couldn't find any was in Norway.

I think there's a Camping Gaz website which tells you in which countries they are available.

(Sounds like Brian doesn't like them).

;-)

Hi

Just a couple of bits of dog advice - we have been travelling with ours since the pets passports came out - and isn't it great to be able to take them with us.

We had another collar disk engraved with our full mobile number including the Uk code and also a friends' number who lives in france. so that if the worst happened there is a number that can be dialed dirrectly.

We always treat them for ticks and worms before we leave - as we really don't want them getting any ticks etc. not just on return. When you visit the vet, you can take your own supply of drontal and frontline with you to cut the cost down. Generally vets tend to be cheaper away from the ports but always ask when you book and be prepared to haggle - we normally only pay for one consultation for the two dogs (anywhere between 20-30euro), when you tell them you will go to the vet in the next town they normally decide to offer you a better rate!

We haven't been to the Med in summer with our dogs but I know that heartworm and sandfly are big problems so get advice from your vet, I think it is called Stronghold which is for the sandflies. The advice from our vet was to keep them indoors around dawn and dusk when these little critters tend to be at their most active.

We also travel with our dogs wearing a harness safely securred so that in the event of an accident or emergency stop they do not become missiles. Also we have a crate to leave them in for when we pop into the shops, we close the blinds, that way they stay cooler (even though we only shop either early morning or late in the day) and no-one can see in the van, so on hearing the barking, no-one would know if the dogs were loose or what size they are.

One of the best things in Europe is that restaurants are generally all dog friendly, again we always ask before we go, you can even take them into the hypermarkets if they are portable and can be carried in a basket.

Other general precautions are to watch where you walk them, if there are grazing cattle do not let them off the lead, or roll or sniff dung as this can harbour ticks, at the end of the day we quickly go through their coats with a flea comb (luckily they've got short hair), depending where we have walked. You can buy most vetinary products in the chemists - there is normally a section for animals stuff.

I think that's about all for the moment - enjoy your trip - I'm green with envy!

Many vets prefer Advantix now for heartworm rather than Stronghold. I also put a special collar on her when down south last year - Bruce knows the name of it. Also it's a good idea to get a small (very cheap) hook from the vets (they sell them in France too) to remove ticks more efficiently. Like the previous poster I check her coat, which as you can see is very thick, for ticks after every walk. Some years there are loads of them (they look like little black insects until they attach themselves after which they resemble chewing gum once they are bloated), other years (like last year) none but make sure you remove them carefully and get all the head (not a good idea to try to burn them off - the hook makes light work of this job without hurting the dog). If the dog looks off colour take to the vets straight away - better to be safe than sorry (French vets have advised this). Finally, good advice above about the blinds. I also open the roof vent (small one in the kitchen) and put a cold air fan on (also have a cold air machine for use with electricity when on site). Most of the time though she disappears under the m/home in the daytime where it's cooler.

Hi

Good luck on your trip and don't worry to much about security issues its much exagerated but use common sense.

Suggest you have a couple of days away localy to iron out the bugs before you leave.

Few obvious things you must/should have with you originals not copies

Passports & Dogs

Driving Licence both parts

E111 medical card for each person

Insurance cert green card if required

Log Book V5

MOT if needed

GB sticker if not EU number plate.

Breakdown insurance

Vehicle purchase invoice

Warning triangles (2)

High Viz jackets for all

First Aid Kit

Fire extingwisher

Credit and debit cards (Nationwide best deals)

Dialing codes for mobile phone

List of main dealers for your vehicle

Maps

The countries you are visiting are very civilised anything you need you can buy in Spain drugs without prescription so don't worry if you think you have forgotton something.

The things I list you should start with.

French tolls roads are very good and some times escential but expensive eg Calais to Spanish border about 100euros for a motorhome (2Axles)

Have a great time

Colin Frier

Het Colin ,we know the Peage (motorways) is good but please mention the alternative THE "N" routes just as good and you usually get to see a bit more of the countryside.We used a combination of Peage and N routes in January this year across France down to the Spanish border .Our expenditure peage wise was 55 EUROS from Calais to La Jonquera and we only use the peage to make up time if it's getting late so we van get a place on the Aires!!!! Happy Trails

Het Colin ,we know the Peage (motorways) is good but please mention the alternative THE "N" routes just as good and you usually get to see a bit more of the countryside.We used a combination of Peage and N routes in January this year across France down to the Spanish border .Our expenditure peage wise was 55 EUROS from Calais to La Jonquera and we only use the peage to make up time if it's getting late so we van get a place on the Aires!!!! Happy Trails

Hi, we have been travelling to France and Spain for the last 30 years with caravan and now a motorhome, ALWAYS staying on camp sites and never I repeat never ever had a problem with thiefs or bogus policemen. When turning in for the night I always take precautions such as putting valuable documents etc under mattress below pillow and using an alarm at night. I have also fitted Heosafe locks to cab doors, used when not travelling. All to be safe and sure. Make sure habitation door is locked when travelling.

As to money use Nationwide cash card, even if you have to open an account, to get cash out of holes in the wall. NO EXTRA CHARGES unlike other banks.

Finally do not try to drive too far each day 200 miles is nice and then find a site well before 5pm, just in case you can not get in and then you have time to find another one.

Enjoy yourselves.

malc d - 2009-02-18 10:05 PM
mendipman - 2009-02-18 9:50 PM Camping gaz 907 bottles , Are they readily available to swop for uk ones (?) (?) Are these the ones Brian described as "silly little ones" (?) Dave
They are certainly widely available in France. I think the only place in Europe where we couldn't find any was in Norway. I think there's a Camping Gaz website which tells you in which countries they are available. (Sounds like Brian doesn't like them). ;-)

It's not really a case of like, or dislike.  We used them for years with tent, trailer tent, and small caravans.  For these, in summer, they are fine.  However, they contain butane, which can be problematic in winter, they are small, and they are relatively expensive.  They are therefore, not of much use in a motorhome other than as emergency back-up, and then mainly for vans with no installed gas fired heating or water heater, because with space and water heating they will soon be exhausted.  However, they can be bought in one country and swapped in another, so they do offer that advantage and, if used in a suitable van, offer valuable flexibility.  Do bear in mind that the original question relates to a family van with a family using it.  In that context, I don't think they would be of much practical use.

With regards to Stanley (our dog), does anyone know if we need to get him to a vet each time we cross a border, like from France to Italy or France to Spain etc, or is it just when we come back to the U.k.

Thanks for putting our minds at rest regarding security, it seems the common sense approach is the main thing.

Reverse polarity remains a concern, is there anywhere I can buy a cable that Brian describes which takes the reverse polarity back the right way round again or is this something I have to make up myself?

A few of you mention I need to take proof of purchase of our motorhome, we do not have an invoice as we bought it privately, we have a V5, is this sufficient or will the hand written receipt do, or do I take both?. And who will be checking this info?

No doubt I will be back soon asking for more of your generous advice THANKYOU

As far as I am aware there is no need these days to visit a vet before crossing a border. The only restrictions that might apply are to do with the breed in some countries i.e. classed as a dangerous breed or very large as some countries demand that muzzles are worn.

Colin gives a good list and you certainly need document originals but these should be locked away safely and just carry copies (except for passports where they would insist on seeing originals). In France copies of documents are readily accepted. Re the proof of purchase I have only ever needed to produce this when registering a car in France as they need to check that all VAT has been paid. You do need the V5 though, driving licence and insurance.

there are no borders any more and no there is no nead to take your dog to the vets we did a six mounth tour, taking in France ,Spain, Italy, Belgium , Holand etc and never had one bit of trouble with the dog , a few camp sites will ask to see the dogs papers but thats all, to make up a reversed polarity lead is simplicity itself but remember you nead a tester this just plugs into a socket in your van and will tell you every thing you nead to know, get yourself on a British camp site look for all the motorhomes with GB stickers and start talking to these people and all your worries will disapear , one thing I would take is a spare gas regulater these sometimes fail and you will not get one abroad, allso take spare three pin plugs, if you buy an electrical appliance such as a kettle or iron you can change the continental plug for a british one and use it in your van. Mac

Well, loads of advice for you.

As one of the few motorhomers with a family, i would just add this.

I like a gaslow system for lengthy touring. Makes life so much easier. Its not going to save you a load of money but filling up with gas is a no worry situation.

Aires. Ignore the not good for kids quote. They are fantasticly cheap and give you a real chance to see France. We only normally stay on aires, we have just returned from 10 nights in the French alps catching some snow and can't reccomend aires highly enough. However do not rule out municiple campsites. Cheap again and good facilities to be had at most.

Driving? we never use the toll roads, far too boring and way over priced. Leave them to the people who have to be somewhere. Just get yourself a good map and use a sat nav to help but the map first.

Get the kids plenty to do in the way of incar entertainment for the journeys.

Most of all, as said, dont worry, just enjoy what you do. You WILL do things wrong, but laugh at it and don't get stressed by it. Most of all have great fun, I know you are going to love it.

May I also reccomend taking in Luxembourg with your kids, loads of stuff for kids, very child friendly.

Archived