Your views on the Romahome R40

kevandali

Hi All

I just wanted to know what you experienced motorhome types thought about the Romahome R40, if you think about it at all?

I came across one at the NEC show and both myself and the uvver arf were very impressed. (once recovered from initial price tag shock)

We want to down size from a 6 berth Suntor 630L to a 4 berth which also had at least two additional fitted seat belts for passengers.

Having realised that a 4 berth U shaped lounge motorhome will not give us the extra belts required, the Romahome seemed to tick most boxes for us.

I do realise that the layout of the Romahome and lack of external lockers will mean that we would have to think hard about what gear we actually [red]need [/red]on our travels.

I would love to hear from anyone who has a Romahome R40 and how it stands up to their everyday usage, what they like/dislike?

I spoke to the dealer at the show and he told me that some customers have gone for several additional items, such as a swing out bike rack, ladder and top box, external ski locker to right of habitation door.

Can't wait to hear your views,both good and bad.

Over to you :-)

Only two of us, but we are looking at sleeping for 4 as occasionally two of the kids might come with us but also trying to think ahead for grand kids because if and when we opt for a smaller van, we intend to keep it for a much longer period. Will mainly be used for the two of us.

Guest JudgeMental

Far to small IMO.......

for less money you could buy a compact coachbuilt, van style motorhome from Hobby, Hymer etc...with beds for 4 and reaonable storage.

No competion in my book

I dont want one as I too think they are just too small. But I do love em. :-D

Its whats going to be right for you though. Although I do think they are way expensive.

Have you explored the city van? another very compact MH but with the ability to actually give you much more space.

Liked them very much - good quality finish.  Main drawback for me seems that the cab area is a bit claustrophobic.  Even if one or both seats are made with swivels - which I think they can do still doesn't seem to create the usual 'open feeling' one gets with low profiles with a dinette. Just seems a waste of space in an already small van. Taste of course!

Guest JudgeMental

Just had a look at the price...you have got to be joking!

a new hymer van LHD can be had for about £10.000 less...And its on a Ford :-D

shows-duss07-HyVan.jpg.6b9b4597337eb1e07d1d86136382afcb.jpg

Hi Kev

I've seen them in the flesh a couple of times now, nice van and generally well finished, but quite expensive! We did have some concerns about some of the bits and pieces and how they would last over time though. From memory the storage is very limited indeed, especially the wardrobe space. Did you actually 'pretend' to use any of the facilities? Compared to the space you're used to in your Swift you could find them a bit tight. The overcab bed might be a bit tight for older children to use.

Externally to me it just doesn't sit right - the overcab looks really 'heavy' which is a shame because their other van's are so well balanced. It is still quite long (5.9 m), the gas locker is small and so are the waste and fresh water tanks.

You need to consider how you'll use it as well - at the moment you have a side door and when one of you is cooking etc, the other can pretty much move around freely in/out at will, with a rear door you loose this and it can be quite annoying at times - imagine if the kids were going in and out all the time ...... Getting form the front cab to the rear isn't that easy either.

I certainly wouldn't consider it to be a 'family' van except for very occasional 'young grand-children' use as well ... where would you put all their gubbings? To me it is really aimed at a retired couple who have progressed from an Autosleeper Talisman or the like and want to have something 'narrow' but more up to date. By the time you've added in all the 'extras' just to make it usable you could get yourself a much better/more suitable van for a lot less money.

JudgeMental - 2009-02-23 2:17 PM

A new hymer van LHD can be had for about £10.000 less...And its on a Ford :-D

Thanks for all the really good advice, the Judge's comment made me start thinking but also I really wouldn't have a clue where to put all the gubbins.

Will keep on looking, maybe a 4 berth with central dining area and a full oven, probably rules out the Hymer???

So much choice !

Guest JudgeMental

But the “van” style van pictured (not only from Hymer) are compact, but a proper layout with decent storage etc.....

Some floor plans have a rear garage as well. This style of small compact coach built was probably the most popular innovation of 2007-2008 and a lot of manufacturers picked up on the interest....there are loads for sale over on www.mobile.de

My impression is that this is a well built and practical small motor caravan. My only criticisms are that I would have doubt about rattles from the GRP overhead lockers which seem very drum like and non insulated and problems with the rear overhang when loaded.

On price my only comment is that there are an awful number of great vans available for the price of the R40.

Regards,

Mike.

Archived