Pollution Zone Stickers in Germany

josie gibblebucket

Found an article and wondered if any of you travelling to Germany this year were aware. It seems that there is a legal requirement for you to purchase and display an "Unweltplakette" sticker in the windscreen of your vehicle which allows you to travel within stipulated areas of certain German towns and cities. It says some towns have already implemented the system and others will follow. The article does stress that you do not have to buy a sticker to enter Germany, its only if you wish to drive into the inner city areas. The sticker (at time of going to press) cost 5euros & lasts for the life of the vehicle. You need the V5C reg. document to purchase it and once purchased, covers all the towns and cities in Germany. It says without it, the fine is 40 euros and one point on your licence. I know you guys are really clued up, but if it saves just one of you getting a fine it was worth a mention!

I had a problem with the previous link but found this http://www.umwelt-plakette.de/int_england.php?SID=fhnm83qsf4gvvdfolnjq1dh8q6 I ordered one online which involves sending a scan of you V5 but is quite expensive, especially if you pay by credit card something the Germans seem to have an aversion to! I have heard of people sending a photocopy of the V5 to a local office and enclosing a €5 note!

David

We forgot to purchase one before we went, and so called into the very 1st TUV station( our equivalent to an MOT station), spoke with the people in the garage - in my very best German- showed my V5 form, and low and behold a Umvelt sticker was registered and issued to me there and then.

The unexpected was when I asked the price. Was told FREE and wished me a good safe holiday in Germany.!!

The sticker is registered to your van and carries shows your reg N0:-

Lucky I guess.

Thai

Klyne - 2009-02-22 10:40 PM

I had a problem with the previous link but found this http://www.umwelt-plakette.de/int_england.php?SID=fhnm83qsf4gvvdfolnjq1dh8q6 I ordered one online which involves sending a scan of you V5 but is quite expensive, especially if you pay by credit card something the Germans seem to have an aversion to! I have heard of people sending a photocopy of the V5 to a local office and enclosing a €5 note!

David

Thanks for this link David, but I've just been on the site and found that the price is either 29.9 or 39.9 Euros depending whether your reg is hand written or typed on the sticker- Have I missed something here?

Vernon

Vernon B - 2009-02-25 3:44 PM

Klyne - 2009-02-22 10:40 PM

David

Thanks for this link David, but I've just been on the site and found that the price is either 29.9 or 39.9 Euros depending whether your reg is hand written or typed on the sticker- Have I missed something here?

Vernon

Vernon

That was something that puzzled me. I was happy having the hand written one! However this is still the most expensive way of obtaining one and getting one from a local office or as previously suggested from a TUV depot would cost a lot less (or free!). There may be a list of addresses on that website if you stray into the main German section.

David

Have been on to the webb site, as stated before, it appears somewhat expensive in comparison to what "maqqvd" stated and all done using credit card.

It would be most helpful if "maqqvd" was prepared to explain on this thread exactly what was done. What paperwork is required, and to where it was sent.

Hoping you can oblige, so thanks in anticipation.

I sent my 5€ note to the stadt Koln address referenced in the earlier posts on this subject last year. Didn't get a sticker, didn't get a reply to followup emails.

Went to the Stadt Koln office last April - Fri. aft, closed.

But there was a TUV location right across the street - the fellow was very helpful - as I have a N.Am. VW, he had to make phone calls to determine the eligibility of my engine, etc. - & I drove out with a green sticker (& another 5€ lighter :-)

Hi;

Koln have withdrawn the option from their website to send €5 for a sticker, they were probably innundated with requests from motorhome websites *-) - They now have a new option but it will involve a bank transfer which could be costly :-( ....

https://formular.stadt-koeln.de/formular/feinstaubplakette/index.html

I've had a scan around and found another option where you can pay online by card but it will cost €14.99.....

>TUV Online Option<

If you're going to Germany anyway I cannot stress how easy it is to get it while you're there at any TUV outlet or Vehicle registration Centre, most TUV's are located on the ouskirts of towns in the commercial areas and easily located. You will also find that some Fiat, Ford etc main dealers can also issue the sticker. There will be numerous options for you in virtually every town you visit.

Some handy location links....

>TUV stations North<

>TUV Stations Mid<

>TUV Stations South<

>Veh Registration Centres or 'Zulassungsstelle'<

Pete

Archived