Buying a Motorhome in uk or europe

Phillip

Agreed, especially when the European economies (including ours - we are a part of Europe!) are in the state they are.  Having sold up, where will you put your money while you travel?  How will you know whether that bank or whatever is still sound?  Put it into an address in UK, at least it should be no worse in value terms when you want to sell to buy abroad, though there can be no guarantees, and you will have a permanent UK address.  If you prefer to bank the cash and just wander, you will need to get a lot of advice on how you can obtain insurance, medical care (you will lose NHS cover after, I think, 6 months), a bank account, register and tax a vehicle etc etc.  You really need to find out how the itinerants do this, as you will become persons of no fixed abode, and within Europe, virtually stateless.

Try contacting Margaret and Barry Williamson, here http://tinyurl.com/bzpnfx as they travel full time and will respond, albeit you may have to wait.

Guest JudgeMental

Have to agree! You never know what life has in store for you and how your perspective can change because of unforeseen circumstances. I would buy something cheap here let it out and it will opay for itself.

It is complicated being stateless, gypsies have been doing it for generations but are expert’s and are used to it. Do you really need the grief......have you children?

If your plan only works if you use all the money from house sale it needs revising IMO. You may well be loaded and have not a care in the world....Who knows! lol

But I would still buy LHD:-D

Brian Kirby - 2009-02-25 2:02 PM as you will become persons of no fixed abode, and within Europe, virtually stateless.

Yes, very good point. I can't speak for all Europe but I can absolutely confirm that there is a big problem with gypsies in Czechland and other EU countries on the eastern side. The Police here are very strict on residency and don't take kindly to peole who can't show a permanent address.

I would even go so far as to say that in Czechland if you don't have a permanent address you may possibly be arrested!!! and the jails here are NOT like the 5* rooms with TV and en-suite in UK prisons lol.

I don't think that would happen if you had a British passport but once again I would urge you to consider keeping some permanent abode in UK. 

Phillip - 2009-02-24 9:34 PM

we are looking into buying a Ci 656 what do you think ?

hi phillip

a ci 656 is a good choice if you have a family but i would not think it would be a good choice for a couple to go touring with for a extended time. the reason i say this is it has a dinette rather than sofa type seats to relax in. i own a 656 so am not knocking then as it suits our family but in my opinion you could get a better layout for long term touring, perhaps somebody could suggest a better layout

good luck ;-)

Phillip

I see your main challenge as not deciding where to buy your motorhome, but how you will manage the bureaucracy that will attach to the vehicle subsequently.

Each country assumes that any vehicle registered in that country will generally reside there permanently, and national vehicle-registration requirements, vehicle taxation, vehicle insurance, mandatory safety testing (eg our MOT test), etc. tend to be based round that assumption.

If you are planning to abandon the UK and then travel for several years without putting down bricks-and-mortar roots anywhere, I find it difficult to envisage how you will be able to do this vehicle-wise without being 'creative' when it comes to providing information to registration authorities and insurance providers.

Possibly you could visit your nearest gypsy camp, and ask them how they manage it?  I assume they are able to get around the requirements for property ownership somehow, and I can't believe they all keep their entire assets in their vans.  They also buy, and are able to register, vehicles, and some, at least, travel in Europe. 

I have no idea if they will tell you, or even how you might be welcomed, but if you do find out please come back to tell us, for I have often wondered!

A little off thread I know, but spotted this throwaway remark higher up:

JudgeMental - 2009-02-24 5:14 AM

I am thinking of changing my van

Why so soon Eddie? Surely you've only had "the Beast" for five minutes? Having taken the initial depreciation hit, wouldn't it make more sens to run it for a few years? Or is it the classic "kids moving on" scenario that we had ourselves a few years back?

Guest JudgeMental
Tony Jones - 2009-02-26 7:43 PM

A little off thread I know, but spotted this throwaway remark higher up:

JudgeMental - 2009-02-24 5:14 AM

I am thinking of changing my van

Why so soon Eddie? Surely you've only had "the Beast" for five minutes? Having taken the initial depreciation hit, wouldn't it make more sens to run it for a few years? Or is it the classic "kids moving on" scenario that we had ourselves a few years back?

Yes it would be more sensible to keep it but I have never been very sensible lol

I have had it 2 years April? I tend to do the same with cars........

Probably the last year that my brilliant and beautiful daughter (just had an Uni offer from the LSE! :-D) comes as well........so not really much need for a high top.

Had always wanted a low roof EuraMobil Terrestra or similar. Should really wait for nearer retirement approx 4 years away or till Fiat sort out there related problems which look more and more unlikely.

I would have changed this spring but for Fiat and the Euro, will go to Dusseldorf end of Summer and see what’s available. But we may well keep The “Beast”. Oft to Goa at Easter and really looking forward to it:-D

Brian Kirby - 2009-02-26 8:04 PM

Possibly you could visit your nearest gypsy camp, and ask them how they manage it?  I assume they are able to get around the requirements for property ownership somehow, and I can't believe they all keep their entire assets in their vans.  They also buy, and are able to register, vehicles, and some, at least, travel in Europe. 

I have no idea if they will tell you, or even how you might be welcomed, but if you do find out please come back to tell us, for I have often wondered!

We spoke to a caravan/motorhome dealer in Bordeaux whose pitch was next door to the dealer of Traveller caravans and he told us that as long as they have a French address then they get all the allowances and benefits etc and that is why over here you will see that one of them will buy a small property or buy between them and then 6 more will park with them over the winter months before moving on in the summer for the fruit picking or similar. He also told us that they get help with buying their vans, we have never gone into this so don't know if its correct.

JudgeMental - 2009-02-26 10:34 PM

I have had it 2 years April

Where does the time go? A couple of weeks and I'll have had mine for a year (which is pretty startling) but I was sure you only got yours a short time before me.

Main thing is, have you had good value out of it? We certainly have from "Roxie" so far, having done 16k miles in her and spent around 50 nights away - and that's with both of us working, and me not (normally) being free at weekends!

Tony

(fellow member of "DAFTIES" - Devotees and Afficionados of Ford Transits In Every Shape)

PS - Sorry, I'll push off and let this thread get back onto its subject now!

Brian Kirby - 2009-02-26 8:04 PM

Brian, I don't know how it works in other countries but here in Czechland it works like this, the govn. / town councils provide housing for the gypsy communities. This is often old run down properties which they them make even more run down by removing all the wooden window frames and doors to use for fuel!!! They then live in one building and use their vans as well. They have cars with reg. numbers but not sure if they are insured, I just hope & pray I never have an RTA with any of them !!!

And you are absolutely right in that all vehicles have to be registered and MOT'd in the country and the owner has to be a 'resident' foreign nationals can register a vehicle but it's a heck of a lot easier if you are a 'national' as my OH is.

Randonneur - 2009-02-27 10:07 AM and he told us that as long as they have a French address then they get all the allowances and benefits etc and that is why over here you will see that one of them will buy a small property or buy between them and then 6 more will park with them over the winter months before moving on

Doubt that they buy, throughout most of the EU there is some law which requires the govt. / town council to house 'homeless' people and the gypsy community make full use of this. But you are right they will 'collectivise' the allocated property for the purpose of registering a vehicle, and for picking up any 'benefits' that are available, but keep on the move when it suits them. 

Archived