habitation security

clay

Guest JudgeMental

I think there are better locks *-)

you need a lock that can be used when in bed as well, not just when you are out and about and tha fiamma makes it obvious that van is not occupied 8-)

Harrison locks are a reputable company that supply and fit motorhome locks. :-D

thanks for that judge, i have gone ahead and bought a fiamma as my wife finds it a little difficult to get in and out and the handle option is very useful. when locked across the habitation door it seems very good. i have been on the harrison website and their locks are very impressive. i am in touch with them and will be purchasing a pair of cab door dead locks which should really bring piece of mind, unless of course they break the window. we can only try

Hi, the harrison locks are not that good, a mate of mine had the door forced open just by some one using a crowbar, the harrison locks just don,t have enough tongue to stop this.And no matter how good the door lock was anyway they just get in through the windows or in one case the sky light.

If you wish to stop anyone getting in when you are inside a pair of slide locks low down in the door frame works far better. I also fit an alarm that works on the windows and doors if they are opened, these are easy to fit, no wires and don,t reply on the motor battery, total cost of alarms £10 for all the windows and both doors, set of locks £12.

back up two pug dogs £1000.

michael

Guest JudgeMental
clay - 2009-03-01 7:02 PM

thanks for that judge, i have gone ahead and bought a fiamma as my wife finds it a little difficult to get in and out and the handle option is very useful. when locked across the habitation door it seems very good. i have been on the harrison website and their locks are very impressive. i am in touch with them and will be purchasing a pair of cab door dead locks which should really bring piece of mind, unless of course they break the window. we can only try

With the cab door dead locks they have to smash the window and climb in...Hardly likely to be achieved stealthy.

Locks are only as good as the door they are attached to, most habitation doors are pathetic. What you are looking at here is something to put of the amateur thief, afraid nothing will stop a crow bar. that is what the alarm is for, to wake you up:-D

I once met a man and his wife on a beach in Spain, he claimed to carry a small 9mm pistol which he implied he would be quite happy to use on anyone actually trying to enter his M/H at night.

I have to admit to no small amount of admiration for his attitude.

However, breaking the law is no answer and violence cannot be condoned under any circumstances.

;-)

Geoff

I would suggest you think long and hard about habitation security especially when you are asleep in side. It's all very well keeping the bad lads out but remember you might need to exit your motorhome in a hurry at night. 8-) 8-)

With the range of the night time security I've seen on some vans we would not be able to exit quickly at night especially if the van was full of smoke. 8-) 8-)

Get your van set up as you would be sleeping in it and see how long it takes you to get out, then try it with your eyes closed. 8-) 8-)

Safe travelling.

Don

Check out www.brightlock.com for a very good visual deterent door lock and when its fixed on the van you can still leave and enter the van..very clever...as with a car though all you can do is try and make your van less of an easy target as you can and hope the robbing b&*%ards go somewhere else.

Going back to the gun bit, I once read on an american RV forum a tread about how many and what type of guns they all had, the winner had 6 guns which he placed all over the RV each firing bean bag type shot.

The pugs are not very good for defence, but they make a very nice glub when picked up by their tails, and the swing is just right for the size of a motorhome.

From what I have heard on this and other forums, most break in happy at night with the owners in bed. excess to the motorhome is vie the cab door by forcing the door lock. Any slide lock low down in the door will stop this attack, If they do break the glass you don,t need an alarm, the bang from the glass going will get you up.

michael

Guest JudgeMental
tyreman - 2009-03-02 2:20 PM

Check out www.brightlock.com for a very good visual deterent door lock and when its fixed on the van you can still leave and enter the van..very clever...as with a car though all you can do is try and make your van less of an easy target as you can and hope the robbing b&*%ards go somewhere else.

Again like the Fiamma it advertises the fact that there is no one in?

We leave a light on and radio turned down low on a speech station.......

We fitted the small Fiamma lock as an extra on our Kontiki for when were out but rely on the VanBlitz alarm to allert us when asleep along with our little dog who soon tells us if anyone is outside! and a good heavy walking stick just in case!

I had a ratchet and strap that connected the cab doors via the arm rests but it is easy to remove the fixed 1/4 light and cut the strap with a knife so have now changed to a substantial chain so can't be cut unless they carry bolt croppers.I have covered the ends of the chain in foam pipe insulation to prevent damage to the arm rests.

I do likewise with a plastic coated chain, plus extra security on the cab locking system, plus an alarm, plus cab blinds so they can't see in, plus a door chain on the habitation door, plus Fiamma handle for when leaving empty, plus the gas alarm, plus the dog who makes a hell of a noise if disturbed (but would actually lick an intruder to death!). By the time I have done all this I am wide awake again!

A cheap and simple method of security when asleep is a personal alarm the type some women keep in there handbags, just fix the alarm to somewhere solid then fix some string to the door and to the pin on the alarm so that when the door is opened the pin is pulled out the alarm setting it off and believe me they are loud , cheap enough to fix one to each door, Mac

Surely the best detterent is to keep the thief or intruder guessing before they decide to choose you. My thoughts in this connection are:-

1 Have a curtain across and behind the front seats. Easy to use.

2 Bolts are best for when at home. Easy to use.

3 Either portable or wired sensors linked to a barking alarm. We have a German Shepherd one, very impressive noise. Easy to use. I think the risk of false alarms from a passing hedgehog is worth the sense of security in an isolated spot.

4 Gas alarms are not expensive.

5 Buy the best alarm system you can afford.

Porky well fed and happy

Clay don't want to rain on your parade I have a Fiamma model 31 grab/hand /security rail fitted ,had a bit of trouble with it recently it was getting stuck in the flush with the van position (not across the door luckily) but I managed to free it off. I actually posted it on here as a thread to get some help to free it off.

Thank God the advice I got worked just to warn you of these grab rails be aware, people have had them stick blocking the habitation door!!!!

It never ceases to amaze me that when someone has a problem there are so many willing contibutors to assist no wonder this forum is so popular ! For what it is worth, and some of you may recall my tale of woe when we were broken in to a couple of years ago in the South of France. The culprits tried the Caravan door and were unable to burst the lock so I can vouch for the KonTiki 665 door. Pity about the quarter light rubbers though which they cut out and then removed the glass in tact (which I recovered). They then reached in and pulled the door locks. If only I had switched the alarm on !!!!!!

re the fiamma door lock, I have two of the swing types on the hymer, both locks became very hard to work, so I had to take them apart and used some copper slip to sort them out. It worked and have worked for over two years to date.

michael

Guest peter
I've got Fiamma safe door locks on habitation and locker doors and twist turn bolts low down on the cab doors so they cannot be reached by someone removing the quarterlight glass. It would take a very determined toe-rag to try and get into my van. (Hopefully)

mondo, thanks for that very important heads up re the lock on the fiamma, as i to use strapping at the mo. in the front it could be a real pain so i have gone straight out and given the lock a liberal coating of duck oil to start and will do it regularly :-D

Archived