Slovenia

panagah

Thinking of having a bit of a change this year and heading down to Slovenia. Nothing to do with me having an Adria :-D

I am just keen to gain as much information as possible from any Motorhomers with experience of travelling this area. I was thinking of going via prague.

namely road state,

campsite quality

wildcamping?

things to do for kids etc

you know the rest.

So any information gratefully received.

Went there a couple of years back and remember that Camping Bled, next to Lake Bled, was a very good site.

It's got a website if you want current details.

We weren't in Slovenia long, and travelled on main roads, which were no problem.

We spent 16 days in Slovenia in spring 2008.

To answer your questions:

Roads in Slovenia are generally good, and well signposted.

Campsites vary, generally not bad, but generally rather expensive, ranging from €14 to €34 per night, with the average around €20.

Being ex eastern bloc, wild camping is not allowed.

What will suit your kids, will depend on your kids.  There is a very small sea coast around Portrose, so remaining swimming etc activities would have to be at the more expensive "spa" type inland sites, most of which seem to allow free access to the spa pools complex within the campsite fee.  Mountains in the North and around Bled.

The country is very attractive, with some interesting towns etc.

Language is not much of a problem, The Slovenes are great linguists.  Many speak a foreign languages, usually Italian, German, or English, and quite a few seemed fluent in all three!

Supermarkets etc are easy to find and use, and few foods are unusual or difficult to get.  Their bread is excellent.  Their wine around French prices, their food generally a little less.  At Euro rates, it will not be an especially cheap holiday.

As per usual thanks for the detailed replies.

I like the blogging one too, gave some great ideas.

Judging by the lack of replies, I imagine its not a popular destination for uk motorhomers? Is that a fair comment? makes it all the more interesting if its not.

Hi,

We visited Slovenia for about two weeks during our 2006 Europe tour and enjoyed the countryside and the capital Ljubljana is quite small and worth a visit.

We stayed at the three campsites listed in the ACSI discount book and found them ok There are other sites varying from basic to large Spa resorts with pools and "Wellness" centres. We also came across a handful of aires but I believe wild camping is not officially allowed.

We didn't visit the coastal region but the Bohinj/Bled lakes area was attractive.

We have several pages on our website to whet your appetite :

http://www.motorhomeandaway.com/slovenia_06_1.htm

The Slovenia tourist board will send you some excellent free brochures including a campsite guide and map.

You mention going via Prague which is quite a distance north and we visited the Czech republic last year - I am still adding to our write up for that trip :-D

Your route would entail travelling through Austria which will be expensive for motorway tolls if you have a large motorhome :'(

Hope that helps

Steve

"Your route would entail travelling through Austria which will be expensive for motorway tolls if you have a large motorhome "

Think you are getting a bit confused - Austria has a vinette system not tolls and is relatively cheap (unless over 3500kg). Slovenia now charges a lot for Motorway vinette although you can get around without --- makes it a bit more of a challenge on the long routes but worth it to see more rural towns and villages..

It is also worth spending a bit of time exploring Czech Rep on way through, there are many beautiful towns such as Telc, Trebon, Cesky Krumolov and many others.

Personally I would say there is more in Czech Rep than Slovenia.

South of Ceske Krumlov you will find Lake Lipno which is also worth a visit.

In Slovenia apart from what has been mentioned, Kamnik is worth a visit and has a small Municiple campsite which can be busy but is adequate and great for a walk into Kamnik. You can also get a bus into Ljubljano for a day trip.

However, it is quite easy to avoid the autobahnen in Austria, and so avoid the maut/vignette.  As stated, if 3.5 tonnes or less, the Austrian vignette is not that costly, and can be bought for short periods at reasonable cost.  Buy at border crossings.

It would also be possible to go via Hungary, including via Budapest, which is not really that much further east and would add in interesting extra dimension.  Hungary is much more complicated so far as tolls are concerned, as their system involves paying a tax and retaining the receipt as evidence that you have paid.  You must ensure you vehicle reg no is correctly shown on the receipt, so writing it clearly in capitals, before you go to the kiosk, would be a good idea.  The tax also applies to lots of bits of main road here and there, and not just the motorways.  You buy at the border, and there is no vignette/sticker as such.  Quite straightforward, can be obtained for various periods, and not that costly.  If you buy on the Vienna Budapest autobahn, at the Hungarian border, there is a handy kiosk where English or German were spoken.  Most Hungarians seem to speak some German, not so many English.

Still, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Ljubljana would be a good itinerary, and would put much in these heavily Austrian influenced countries into context.

Archived