Legality of towing with aframe

joanden

I think reference to the NTTA website

http://www.ntta.co.uk/

may well have started the ball rolling on this forum - a good few years ago - about the legality or otherwise of motorhome A-frame towing. Certainly the NTTA site has been mentioned here before: as an example see

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7990&posts=10

Since the NTTA statement (quoted by Donna) there have been advances in the braking arrangements used with certain A-frames that MAY allow the braking regulations mentioned by the NTTA to be complied with. However, I can't see how a car's inherent front-wheel castoring can ever be satisfactorily 'managed' so that full compliance with UK trailer reversing requirements can be met.

It's always seemed to me that, within the UK, towing a car behind a motorhome has got to be considered a bit 'sinful' as far as this country's trailer regulations are concerned. The endless debate is not so much due to the 'sinfulness' of the practice itself, but because UK motorcaravanners doing it (or planning to do it) are forever seeking absolution and get uptight when they don't receive it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derek Uzzell - 2009-03-21 8:55 AM

The endless debate is not so much due to the 'sinfulness' of the practice itself, but because UK motorcaravanners doing it (or planning to do it) are forever seeking absolution and get uptight when they don't receive it.

That is the most factual statement ever made on this and several other topics, A huge majority of Motorhomers believe they are above the rules and laws that govern the road, simply because it states Motorhome on the V5.

p.s. Isn't that castor an absolute bugg4, you think you've got it going in a good line, then bang, wheels fold in and it's forward and try again. :-| .

Can't beat a good trailer.

Archived