Abandoning your van !

malc d

Having found myself in this position a couple of years back, I thought it might be a useful thing to mention.

(Although I'm sure the 'old lags' on the forum have thought of it !).

Because of a serious fuel leak when we were in Spain, our van was loaded onto a trailer and whisked off to a workshop.

It seemed at first that we may have to leave it there for a couple of days waiting for parts.

The problem is, thinking about security, what items would you want to remove from the van, and how are you going to carry them ?

We had cameras, binoculars, a rather large and expensive telescope, portable DVD player, plus all sorts of other odds and ends ( including copy documents) that we didn't really want to leave in the van.

Fortunately we had a couple of rucksacks plus a large beach bag into which all our 'valuables' were packed. Plus we could lock a certain amount in the safe.

Failing that I suppose we could have used large bin bags.

Happily, and with a lot of help from the workshop staff and the C&CC helpline, we didn't have to leave the van overnight.

But it's something you may not have thought about.

Do you have any 'containers' in the van that you could use ?

Just a thought - hopefully you will never have to worry about it.

:-|

What you need to think about is what you would do if the van had to be transported home and you were unable to travel with it.

Just think about it. 8-) 8-) Only 20kg baggage allowance on the aircraft if your travel insurers decide to fly you home. 8-) 8-)

We have this contingency covered but it will be very interesting to see what others think.

Don

Last year a couple in their motorhome had a problem with a rail underpass which sliced the overcab bed roof off like a tin of sardines. Fortunately, there was a Fiat garage close by and it was taken there whereon the owners of the motorhome were able to live in their van whilst it was temporarily repaired to that they could carry on and drive home.

Friends of mine who had their van written off in France (see photo on another thread) had all sorts of hassel. There was a conflict of interest between the insurer and the breakdown side.

By one company they were offered a hire van to continue their holiday, but they could not leave it at Calais and get on the ferry. The hire van had to go back to it's depot in Toulouse. Not much help.

Eventually they were offered a hire car and hotel accomodation and the car could be left at Calais.

To get some of their property, clothes etc home they went to the local hypermarket and purchased some cheap folding suitcases.

The motorhome was recovered to UK and after many weeks was written off. They still wander how they would have got the other stuff home if the van hadn't been repatriated. eg bedding, chairs, barbecue, tv and all the other stuff we all carry.

Archived