Failed remote central locking

Wirralian

Can someone throw some light on a problem which has developed on my 'van. The remote central locking and alarm (which are operated by the same key) have suddenly failed. It is unlikely to be anything to do with key fob as it lights up as normal (and the spare doesn't get things working either). The central locking does, however, operate manually. The base vehicle is a 2004 registered Fiat Ducato with a Swift Ace convertion.

I have checked the fuses for remote control and alarm but they are OK. I have also checked the Swift retrofit fuses box in the engine compartment.

I am at present in Spain (Torre del Mar near Malaga) and although am able to lock the 'van, I don't fancy leaving it unalarmed when leaving it unattended.

John :'(

Hi Wirralian,

I had a similar problems a few months ago and below is the reply I had from this forum. My base veicle is a Renault Master - but this method must be worth a try on yours.

NON OPERATION OF CENTRAL LOCKING/ALARM FROM KEY FOB

"Turn the ignition OFF. Then press the Central Door locking button for more than 5 sec' (the door should lock and then unlock)

When this happens wait about 10 sec' and then the immobiliser warning light will light.

Point the key at the receiver and press the button twice (again doors will lock and unlock) - that's it.

This problem can happen when the battery in the remote goes low and also some x-ray machines in, for example airports can affect the fob.

Some key fobs are affected by magnets and the readers in shopping check outs".

Hope it works for you, please let us know if it does.

Regards Cattwg

Information originally off MMM Forum 10/2008

Many thanks for the responses so far.

I thought that I had mentioned that the base vehicle is a 2004 registered Fiat Ducato; the conversion being Ace Milano. The alarm is SigmaS30 (or S34?).

Today, I put new batteries in the key fobs but no luck. Neither have I had any luck with the method mentioned by cattwg.

I shall have to put up with no alarm until I get someone to have a look at it when I get home. In the meantime I can put in the corner of the windscreen a red rear cycle light which flashes on and off to try and deter the Spanish bandits!

John

If you have the instuction manual in may give you procedures for doing self tests on the Alarm system. You will also need your access code. If not then you will have to call into a sigma installer. Info on these secure alarms is deliberately not readily available except to appoved installers.

The unit just may have lost registration with the key fobs and there is a procedure for registering, but you will need your access code as I believe from memory the S30 has a keypad fitted somewhere in the vehicle, usually in the glove box but installer could have placed it anywhere. Unless your manual gives you self test procedures you are unlikely to find the fault, although most likely, if totally dead, is loss of power supply.

Archived