mmm for £10.00

Guest 740sman

Guest 740sman

hi all

How about this andy, if mmm mag will charge £10.00 for just one month and gave this to a university engineering group( swansea ) get them to take apart the gearbox and write a paper with the results.This may the base for legal proceedings. Many people around swansea think that fiat are very wrong in what is been done to the motorhome owners.One said fiat dont just do auto/vans, over all company would fell in pinch if reported on ITV.One even said inform Mr Clarkson at the BBC he would love it.

I know that mmm will not be able to give all of the £10.00, but 75% may be possible. I do not know how many mmm mags are sold in a month but it must be a fare few.

I have been following this thread from the time when we picked up our autotrail 740s last year.

I and many of my friends in swansea would like to buy you a very large drink for your work of this thread. very well done and keep up the good work.

Martyn

I believe no one has taken up the challenge against FIAT because there is no answer.

Commercial organisations can write off the costs whatever they are but the M/H owners are left with a duff vehicle.

For the private owner it would require several hundred of them to drive to FIAT UK Headquarters and dump their M/H and walk away. NOT TO RETURN, but how many would do that?

Martyn

An intriguing idea, but I'm not certain how practicable as many (most?) copies of MMM will be sold via long-term subscription where the subscriber has up-fronted with the cash to fund one or more year's worth of magazines.

I'm also pretty sure MMM-buying motorcaravanners who don't own X/250 Ducato/Boxer-based motorhomes and have long-since decided never to purchase a Fiat/Peugeot-based vehicle would be too keen on forking out a £6.60 MMM 'surcharge' to fund legal action for those unfortunate people who have got one of the juddery over-geared beasts.

I was under the impression that legal class-action was not permissible within our legal system, but, if there are as many X/250 Ducato/Boxer motorhomes with significant problems (ie. with problems that have been reported to Fiat/Peugeot) as Andy Stothert suggests, then (say) a £100 contribution by each of their owners to a 'fighting fund' should be sufficient to finance an independent technical analysis and expert legal advice.

I believe TV and the media generally have been approached about this and the reaction was luke-warm at best. Interestingly, although the problem is now well-publicised in motorhome magazines, when I spoke to a couple of UK converters recently, both said that it did not seem to have affected their sales unduly. One company told me that, initially, two or three customers had deliberately chosen Mercedes-based models rather than Fiat-based ones, but this trend had not continued.

Both firms said that, even when customers had read about the fault in magazines or on internet forums, it did not seem to inhibit them from purchasing a Fiat-based design. There did, however, seem to be a tendency currently for buyers to opt for vehicles with the 3-litre motor, and for the automatic gearbox, as these were judged less 'risky' than versions with the smaller engines with 6-speed manual transmission.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-02-27 9:13 AM

Martyn

An intriguing idea, but I'm not certain how practicable as many (most?) copies of MMM will be sold via long-term subscription where the subscriber has up-fronted with the cash to fund one or more year's worth of magazines.

I'm also pretty sure MMM-buying motorcaravanners who don't own X/250 Ducato/Boxer-based motorhomes and have long-since decided never to purchase a Fiat/Peugeot-based vehicle would be too keen on forking out a £6.60 MMM 'surcharge' to fund legal action for those unfortunate people who have got one of the juddery over-geared beasts.

I was under the impression that legal class-action was not permissible within our legal system, but, if there are as many X/250 Ducato/Boxer motorhomes with significant problems (ie. with problems that have been reported to Fiat/Peugeot) as Andy Stothert suggests, then (say) a £100 contribution by each of their owners to a 'fighting fund' should be sufficient to finance an independent technical analysis and expert legal advice.

I believe TV and the media generally have been approached about this and the reaction was luke-warm at best. Interestingly, although the problem is now well-publicised in motorhome magazines, when I spoke to a couple of UK converters recently, both said that it did not seem to have affected their sales unduly. One company told me that, initially, two or three customers had deliberately chosen Mercedes-based models rather than Fiat-based ones, but this trend had not continued.

Both firms said that, even when customers had read about the fault in magazines or on internet forums, it did not seem to inhibit them from purchasing a Fiat-based design. There did, however, seem to be a tendency currently for buyers to opt for vehicles with the 3-litre motor, and for the automatic gearbox, as these were judged less 'risky' than versions with the smaller engines with 6-speed manual transmission.

Derek, as I mentioned on the main thread, the current initiative from the Civl Justice Council appears to offer hope of class actions becoming available to UK consumers at reasonable, or perhaps even no cost. I just hope it comes to fruition and that it is in a short enough time-scale to help those affected by the gearbox problems. After all, the situation is now so grave and affected owners have been distressed for so long, that a mere "fix" almost certainly would not be sufficiently equitable. A reasonable man on the legally accepted "Clapham Ominibus" would feel that compensation for loss of resale value, personal distress, loss of use, loss of interest and all consequential losses and out of pocket expenses should be factored into a class action claim against FIAT. It would also seem fair to factor in a requirement for an indemnity against related mechanical problems arising from, or related to, any mechanical solution offered by FIAT.

Bob

Good ideas,I have a Peugeot I have letters from Peugeot from my complaints,but still no fix.

I have contacted BBC's watchdog about 4 times the first about 9 months ago,I have also taken this up with VOSA.

What is needed is more people to complain to both of these and any other bodies that will listern.

OK, I have heard a few stories about new gearboxes that are going to be replaced but who has had this done.

Peugeot please tell me when you will fix mine and every ones vans.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-02-27 9:13 AM

. There did, however, seem to be a tendency currently for buyers to opt for vehicles with the 3-litre motor, and for the automatic gearbox, as these were judged less 'risky' than versions with the smaller engines with 6-speed manual transmission.

My Auto trail Scout was bought new in June 2008 it is on a 3 litre 6-speed box. One month later with less than 100 miles on the clocke the judder came and the clutch burnt out whilst reversing on to a camp site pitch.

Archived