Private hgv /Mot

Corky 8

Hello all,

Need your help on the following, my Motor home is classed as Private HGV (4000kg )on the registration doc,I have been informed (I cannot recall from where ) that my M/H will require a , MOT every year from new . as opposed to After three years. I have been on the DVLA web site but cannot find anything to confirm this, can anyone who owns a Private HGV Motor home let me know their view on this, or any one who know,s what is the Law on this please , I,d like to hear from you .

Many Thanks Corky :-D

Hi PHGV is class 4 MOT, exactly the same as a car, 3 years from new, then every year.

Problem you may have is finding a car garage that can cope with the weight, or a lorry garage that does class 4. I have to take mine to the Ministry testing station.

Olley

Corky 8 - 2009-02-28 11:18 AM

Hello all,

Need your help on the following, my Motor home is classed as Private HGV (4000kg )on the registration doc,I have been informed (I cannot recall from where ) that my M/H will require a , MOT every year from new . as opposed to After three years. I have been on the DVLA web site but cannot find anything to confirm this, can anyone who owns a Private HGV Motor home let me know their view on this, or any one who know,s what is the Law on this please , I,d like to hear from you .

Many Thanks Corky :-D

8-) If the V5 also states Motorhome then year three is the first MOT. ;-)

Hi most car garages have lifts rated at 3-3.5 tonnes, as corkys van is 4ton. that's why I suggested he might have a problem. Also the rolling roads used in the brake test have a weight limit, but I don't know what that is.

I don't know what his payload is so he might be able to get under 3.5ton simply by emptying the van out and dumping any water.

Olley

I believe it's size rather than weight that will govern whether or not a MOT testing station may be able to test a motorhome.

I used to have my Herald MOT'd at a motorhome dealership without any difficulties, but, when my larger (but no heavier) Hobby came due, the dealer told me it would be marginal - for regulatory reasons - to test it with his equipment and the Hobby was taken to another local company that MOT'd large commercial vehicles.

Hi Derek size and weight are nothing to do with what MOT class you are, all RV's from mine at 9tons to the big ones at 20tons are class 4.

The only reason for a garage refusing to test in your case wouldn't be regulatory, but having the equipment to test your weight/size vehicle.

With my old Kentucky weight wasn't the problem, width was, it only just fitted width wise onto the ramp, missing the pillars on either side by about 2"

I did try to get mine MOT at one of the local commercial garages, but none of them have a class 4 tester.

Olley

Hi,

Thanks to those of you who replied to me, I have since found where I got the idea of my M/H requiring a MOT from the first year, I read or rather miss- read an article in the May 2008 issue of Practical Motorhome Magazine pages 90 to 93. in the last paragraph the writer goes onto say MOT,s are as not straight forward as they seem and goes on to give the definition and class of Motor homes, then say,s if they carry goods not intended for use within the motor home the vehicle is then re-classed as goods carrying , and if over 3500kg it is then a HGV ( goods carrying )and requires a annual MOT, it took me to read it through three times to get the full gist of what he was trying to say, But it turns out as long as my V5 says Motorhome and Class IV it is three years to its first MOT. thank you for your help

Corky

Archived