Bad good bad day

Brock

Avoided an oncoming veicle but smahed my wing mirror against strong branches hidden in the verge's bushes. Arrived a Clun to see the castle. Went to the hall car park but parked cars (hikers) blocked the access. Unable to turn round, turned right into a narrow road that got narrower. Realised I was stuck. Locals came out to see if they could help (quaintly blaming the non existent satnav for my problem). With one wing mirror and no other rear visibility (teach me not to buy a reversing camera), I couldn't reverse the two hundred yards or so of the winding hedge lined road. Still the locals sought to help. And then a lorry driver offered to do it for me. He did. First go.

I'm not a bad driver. I'm pretty good at navigating through tight spaces. But without two wing mirrors, I needed a professional. And he was.

All hail the people of Clun for getting me unstuck. Went back to parking by the river where I have done in the past. Out came the gaffer tape so at least I had some vision through the patched up wing mirror for my trip home.

Rang Hymer UK. Two weeks for a new wing mirror - assuming they order the right parts. MOT due next week!

Guest JudgeMental

I got stuck on a narrow lane in France when we approchaed a hill and FWD camper lost traction...French farmer reversed it back about half a mile, I was sweating tears a real white knuckle ride:-S But the relief when he eventually managed to turn around was Indescribable lol

One of the joys of motorhoming! It happens......In my case it was because of a sat nav *-)

Hi Geoff

Yours looks very much like mine did on a trip to UK lorry clipped mine lost most of the back.I made a mould and cast a new one in fibre glass stuck it in poition with black mastic now looks pretty good total cost about £6.50 for a tin of Davids P39 still got 1/2 a tin left for next time?

My wing mirror got smashed in scotland lorry clipped it, went to scrap dealer web site, typed in what I wanted they found the dealer, cost me £20 had to take it off the other vehicle but looks like it saved me a lot of money and messing about.

Hi Colin,

My mirror was a 40mph impact huge bang it exploded and bits everywhere some minor damage to the side of camper lots of pieces wires hanging down nothing left salvageable all the inside totally wrecked as was the mirrror glass my picture above was with it taped up, so that I could get back to base 500 miles away in France other vehicle did not stop, no choice but to replace the whole thing had a new one from the dealer in 2 days excellent service.It took me took a couple of hours to fit it. You really miss it when its not there.

Geoff

Archived