Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen transmission defect

AndyStothert

A member of our MCC Lancs area has a Luner on the Fiat 160 Auto chassis and he has told me that it runs perfect with no judder at all. It is the 3 axle model with a large body on it. Not all x250 Fiats judder. A guy who lives close by has an X250 2.3 and his doesn't judder either he thinks it's great.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did want the auto at first but was advised against it, hence gone for the manual. I wont name the dealer as I have contacted them and Swift to await their response to be fair. I was not really bothered about the delivery date. I can walk away or stick with it either way.

Cheers Robbie

Rob

What did the dealer say that the auto is trouble, most of them still deny that there is a problem and certainly none of their customers have had any problems. I have not seen anything on any of the forums about any problems with the auto, as a very early member of the judderers I have as many have on here also followed this sorry tale. I suspect that he needs the sale quickly and the converters are going to have a lot of manuals available, I would ask him to put in writing that your vehicle will not judder, if it does reject it on collection or withold £5000 until the vehicle is fully tested.

Your dealer is not the person to trust if he will not give you that assurance

It is very unlikely that you will get a vehicle that has the new gearbox etc for at least 12-18 months, you will in all likelihood get a modified gearbox which some of us have had done and the results are somewhat mixed from reasonable to no good and introducing judder in 1st which was not present before the mod in some cases

I am very happy with the vehicle going forward, but will never entertain any product from the Sevel range agin, mainly down to the way that Fiat have handled this problem, there are several dealers and smaller manufacturers who were still telling me that is was driver error etc upto a few months ago, they will never see any of my money either.

>:-)

Honest dealers are hard to find, personally if I were you I'd look elsewhere

Chris

robx5 - 2009-04-25 12:39 AM

Can any body help? I have a new fiat motor home(3.0 160 manual) on order it is currently being built a the factory and came across these problems a couple of days ago.

I was told by the dealer to avoid the auto box as it has major issues, does anybody know if the auto box is as bad as the manual and is there any way of being sure that when it arrives i have not been stitched up by fiat like the unfortunate people on here. I am seriously worried.

Any advice is much appreciated.

am i being cynical saying he wants you to buy a manual as the auto does not seem to have the same problems and nobody now orders the manual only the auto?

Me thinks the auto is harder for dealers to obtain whilst thereis a glut of manuals to be got rid of at possible greater financial incentive for the dealer.

As along shot does anyone in the Hants/Surrey/Sussex area have a recent Morello based on a Vw or Mercedes so that I can see what practical difference the smaller living area makes compared to the modern Ducato?

Rob

Just ask yourself ,"are all the people who have complained about this Problem with reverse not been telling the truth " were not trying to sell you anything ,unlike the dealers , were telling you of the troubles were having and the way we are being treated, and our concerns for the gearbox in the coming years when out of warranty do you want these worries and concerns, ???

I'm really really grateful to those on here as you have prevented me from making a very expensive mistake.

I 'm keeping in touch with events though as I'm hopeful in a year or so's time the new Ford gearbox will be available and that will be my trigger to see what is on offer.

For now I shall soldier on with my Duetto panel van conversion on a Transit which has been reliability personified in nearly 7 years of ownership and travels throughout Europe. The annoying thing is that the Fiat offers the size of panel van I want which no other base vehicle can at present.

This amount of complaints and people cant be wrong and I dont think it is driver error either.

The fact that the chassis manufacturers are all having problems reported but handling them in a different manner speaks volumes.

Have any people NOT experienced the characterisitcs of said clutches / gearboxes.

Are there any automatic users out there who can give me some advice.

Regards

Robbie

robx5 - 2009-04-26 3:18 PM

This amount of complaints and people cant be wrong and I dont think it is driver error either.

The fact that the chassis manufacturers are all having problems reported but handling them in a different manner speaks volumes.

Have any people NOT experienced the characterisitcs of said clutches / gearboxes.

Are there any automatic users out there who can give me some advice.

Regards

Robbie

Hello Robbie,

May I suggest that a letter to the Coachbuilder and your local Fiat Dealer naming the dealer who informed you that there are problems with the Automatic Gearbox and asking for their advice and why you should not buy one, may be in order.

If you need any information on the Autobox e-mail steve.barker@fiat.com who supplied me with a number of PDF files concerning the Comfortmatic Auto-gearbox on the Ducato.

Regards,

Mike.

One interesting thought today as we returned home from the Lincolnshire coast, along the M180 I think it was, we passed several fields of cars and light vans near Immingham.

There seemed to be quite a few chassis cabs, Fiat/Peugeot sevel type. Only a quick glance but there seemed to be quite a few, awaiting delivery to converters perhaps? With modified gearboxes?

Anyway, the water ingress debacle put me off the X250 after they repeated the water problems with the previous version of the Fiat. I'd had a mark 1 Merc Sprinter PVC (La Strada) and thought it good but agricultural and found a mark 2 Sprinter last summer under a Geist Phantom and I'm enjoying the Sprintshift as well.

cheers alan

One interesting thought today as we returned home from the Lincolnshire coast, along the M180 I think it was, we passed several fields of cars and light vans near Immingham.

There seemed to be quite a few chassis cabs, Fiat/Peugeot sevel type. Only a quick glance but there seemed to be quite a few, awaiting delivery to converters perhaps? With modified gearboxes?

Anyway, the water ingress debacle put me off the X250 after they repeated the water problems with the previous version of the Fiat. I'd had a mark 1 Merc Sprinter PVC (La Strada) and thought it good but agricultural and found a mark 2 Sprinter last summer under a Geist Phantom and I'm enjoying the Sprintshift as well.

cheers alan

Melvin - 2009-04-08 10:41 AM

Fiat carried out the transmission modifications last week, reversing on the flat or onto my 1:40 drive vast improvement, now no transmision vibration. at the time I was very pleased.

However this morning, I thought I would fill up with diesel and try my van on a hill, nothing too steep. The van struggled and vibrate at least as bad as prior to the transmission vibrations.

1200 rpm van stalled, 1500 rpm slipping the clutch severe vibration, about 20 odd metres was enough and I aborted the test.

I have informed Fiat they informed there are no further modifications, but will investigate the problem and open a new case file.

I am pleased with the workmanship and proffesional attituted of the dealer who carried out the modifications.

Howerer, you cant believe how disapointed I am

:$ :$

Retried my van again yesterday on the same hill following further modifications on Tuesday. Rubbish, what a waste of time. Fiat tell me after this there are no further modifications.

The dealer who carried out the modification has beyond approach and proffesional, their work has not caused to date any unwanted side affects, no whines etc, however, they can only work with the part being supplied by Fiat.

Given the above, the modification do not work, I assume the new Fiat Chassis transmissions will be built to the same specification, then I suggest Fiat need a serious rethink.

Melvin - 2009-04-08 10:41 AM

Fiat carried out the transmission modifications last week, reversing on the flat or onto my 1:40 drive vast improvement, now no transmision vibration. at the time I was very pleased.

However this morning, I thought I would fill up with diesel and try my van on a hill, nothing too steep. The van struggled and vibrate at least as bad as prior to the transmission vibrations.

1200 rpm van stalled, 1500 rpm slipping the clutch severe vibration, about 20 odd metres was enough and I aborted the test.

I have informed Fiat they informed there are no further modifications, but will investigate the problem and open a new case file.

I am pleased with the workmanship and proffesional attituted of the dealer who carried out the modifications.

Howerer, you cant believe how disapointed I am

:$ :$

Retried my van again yesterday on the same hill following further modifications on Tuesday. Rubbish, what a waste of time. Fiat tell me after this there are no further modifications.

The dealer who carried out the modification has beyond approach and proffesional, their work has not caused to date any unwanted side affects, no whines etc, however, they can only work with the part being supplied by Fiat.

Given the above, the modification do not work, I assume the new Fiat Chassis transmissions will be built to the same specification, then I suggest Fiat need a serious rethink.

How's this for dishonesty. In the latest edition of the Caravan Club magazine is a double page advert from Fiat. Under the heading "Details that make all the Difference" is the following statement.

"MultiJet engine with a special motorhome gearbox. Excellent and comfortable performance in all conditions, with a full load or uphill".

Can you believe it? If ever there was a case for referral to the Advertising Standards Authority this is it?

Mike88 - 2009-04-27 10:54 AM

How's this for dishonesty. In the latest edition of the Caravan Club magazine is a double page advert from Fiat. Under the heading "Details that make all the Difference" is the following statement.

"MultiJet engine with a special motorhome gearbox. Excellent and comfortable performance in all conditions, with a full load or uphill".

Can you believe it? If ever there was a case for referral to the Advertising Standards Authority this is it?

This will make it a bit easier for someone who wants to complain...

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/

Martyn

A gentleman from Fiat recently informed me that they were now ready to modify my M/H.

He enquired if I still required the modifications.

I informed him that after a highly disconcerting experience of severe judder(meeting a tugger on a narrow site access lane in Devon when he and I thought it was easier for me to reverse) I still needed to have it modified.

Having owned a Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD for eight years I was not expecting such a bad experience.From then on I have made best efforts not to be caught out again.

However I did decide for my satisfaction and under controlled conditions to try again.I found a not to steep hill in a local side street and with the M/H unloaded reversed up the hill.

Severe vibrations again along with near side wheel spin and then an almighty bang.

I set off home in trepidation but all seemed ok.

I have since been on a short run and again all seems as usual.

It set me thinking though.

My last Fiat M/H did 40000K miles without a transmission problem.I would like to achieve the same with this one.

I wondered what distance has been covered by members using the Fiat x250 M/H and have not had transmission problems.

I am in serious need of reassurance.

Regards

Motorhometone - 2009-04-27 1:02 PM

A gentleman from Fiat recently informed me that they were now ready to modify my M/H.

He enquired if I still required the modifications.

I informed him that after a highly disconcerting experience of severe judder(meeting a tugger on a narrow site access lane in Devon when he and I thought it was easier for me to reverse) I still needed to have it modified.

Having owned a Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD for eight years I was not expecting such a bad experience.From then on I have made best efforts not to be caught out again.

However I did decide for my satisfaction and under controlled conditions to try again.I found a not to steep hill in a local side street and with the M/H unloaded reversed up the hill.

Severe vibrations again along with near side wheel spin and then an almighty bang.

I set off home in trepidation but all seemed ok.

I have since been on a short run and again all seems as usual.

It set me thinking though.

My last Fiat M/H did 40000K miles without a transmission problem.I would like to achieve the same with this one.

I wondered what distance has been covered by members using the Fiat x250 M/H and have not had transmission problems.

I am in serious need of reassurance.

Regards

Have you tried the reverse gear since your last attempt , just to check all is well with reverse, I,ve never been a fiat fan and this dilemma has convinced me even more never to touch them again,

Same quandary as robx5 -have a Bolero on order but very concerned regarding responses given by Swift/Fiat/dealer to my questions.I am getting the jitters about the judders and not getting the reassurance that I feel should be forthcoming on my order.

Despite the good advice being given on this and the "other" website there is in fact very little choice in terms of alternative power plants.There is one in the Autocruise range (mid april price hike 3%) with a Peugot engine who appear to have conceded and are changing gear ratios but this does not match up to our requirements.

Thinking now like robx5 of 3.0 litre auto and gonna ask Swift-what odds that delivery will be "delayed" beyond July date already agreed.

Are there any Bolero owners out there who are happy with their van?

:-(

Been chasing Fiat since last Tuesday following their 3 febble attempt to repair my transmission judder, the Fiat dealer has told me I need to get in touch with Justin Westnedge, however, it would appear he does not seem to want to return my calls again. All this talk about opening a new case No. and test with a Fiat technician is just hot air. It would seem we are back to square one.

Has anyone out there had an succesful repair to their transmission judder?

Guest Videomaster

I had my van serviced recently and my dealer told me they had carried out modifications to 2 vans only at present, and that they had been successful. Looks like progress is slow.....12hrs work apparently. :-D

I want my van done!!

Greetings all,

We have been away for a week or so and will be clearing off again next week for several months on and off - if the Fiat behaves that is.

After writing to Fiat expressing my complete dissatisfaction with the modifications thus far (the gearbox and clutch mods) I am still awaiting word of what the next step will be.

Not only does ours still vibrate badly whilst reversing up a steep hill (because the engine still isn't turning fast enough to generate enough torque to propel it up a steep hill at a safe speed) but it now has a bit of a judder in first gear, a whine in second, and a noise which wasn't present previously at 60mph in 6th gear.

Anyway enough whinging.

If PNE don't make it to the play offs we will be away from next weekend for quite a while so if anyone needs to speak to me about this fiasco (especially Fiat if you are reading this) then ring my office number - 01772 452656 and if we are away the mobile number should be available.

Archived