Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen transmission defect

AndyStothert

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks George,Thanks George ! Tonto, he think Fiat torque with forked tongue.(can't have been a socket !) Looking on the bright side there seems to more Converters building on Chassis's other than Sevel one's, Whoopee ! some choice at last. :D :D

Just got back from our epic trip right round Britains coastline (not quite finished but the footie season kicks off on Saturday) and put another 5000 miles on the van since the modifications have been done.

There are still some issues with the gearbox (whining in second gear under load) and we weren't really put in any desperate gearbox/clutch wrecking reversing sitituations, but in normal use the reversing is much improved. But it still isn't perfect, and I'm stil not covinced the at the clutch damper device is there for any good reason except to cover for a change in clutch lining material which will not have a long life. But w ejust don't know as I presume Fiat haven't released any good hard technical information in the last couple of months?

I have just received a letter from Fiat stating that Fiat has completed testing on the 3litre model and engine and the testing found no fault. This is in response to my letter asking them to do the same modifications as they did to Mr John Denton's vehicle as stated in the MMM August issue.

Has anyone else had a problem with the 3litre model?

Dean - 2009-08-07 7:20 PM

I have just received a letter from Fiat stating that Fiat has completed testing on the 3litre model and engine and the testing found no fault. This is in response to my letter asking them to do the same modifications as they did to Mr John Denton's vehicle as stated in the MMM August issue.

Sure have, Fiat knew mine is a 3litre but told the local garage it was a 2.3litre.

This only came to light when I was arranging dates with the garage. Fiat subsequently told me on the phone yes mine was registered with them as a 3lite and it was their mistake. However, it was now the end of the line for my complaint as they do not acknowledge any problem with the 3litre. Therefore no fix is forthcoming. I have not had this in writing.

PSHORT - 2009-08-09 9:29 AM

Dean - 2009-08-07 7:20 PM

Sure have, Fiat knew mine is a 3litre but told the local garage it was a 2.3litre.

This only came to light when I was arranging dates with the garage. Fiat subsequently told me on the phone yes mine was registered with them as a 3lite and it was their mistake. However, it was now the end of the line for my complaint as they do not acknowledge any problem with the 3litre. Therefore no fix is forthcoming. I have not had this in writing.

Paul,

Does your 3litre judder in reverse Though ? and why does Fiat think there are no problems ? do they think that the higher torque of the 3litre will 'calm the judder down' ?? probably, but at the expense of the clutch and flywheel asm. Why don't they just fit a lower reverse ratio (lower than first gear)? And why doesn't it affect the robotised 'auto' box ??

Sounds simple, doesn't it ? I suspect that it isn't though. A technical designer somewhere in the depth's of Fiat made a BIG boo-boo. *-) *-)

Obviously (because we have been travelling mostly) I haven't really been digging for information about this Fiat cock-up (on behalf of both themselves and Peugeot) but the last couple of days have brought some conflicting information.

Firstly Fiat have started writing to the owners of 2.2 litre 5 speed models and informing them not to worry about the transmission as (like the 3 litre versions) there is absolutey nothing wrong with them and the complaining owners are just a bunch of eejits. Like the 2.3 litre owners were - until they admitted that perhaps things weren't quite right and started fitting a lower ratio reverse gear. After all that aggro and deceipt of course.

However Peugeot have told owners of the 5 speed model that yes they acknowledge that it has a a too-high reverse gear ratio and are still working on a proper solution.

The Fiat and Peugeot vans are exactly the same, so who is telling porkies?

On the same subject (the 2.2 litre 5 speed vans) an owner of a Peugeot had the clutch fail whilst reversing up a hill in Italy last month and Peugeot have insisted that the owner pays the repair costs, because at 17,000 miles this could have been just normal wear and tear. It took nearly three weeks for them to find a replacement clutch, and the owners had to fly home, then return to Italy when it was fixed. Expense and a load of hassle thrown in.

In reply to Rayjsj's question; yes it does judder when reversing on the flat, never had the courage to try a steep hill as I have had badly smoking clutch doing a , to be fair, a tight 3 point turn on 2 occasions.

Paul

Guest Videomaster

I have the 3 litre engine and while on holiday in France 2 weeks ago, we were face with 3 hill reverses!! I dreaded it....but not a hint of a judder. Also, to ensure my van was registered with Fiat, in case there was a judder, I did complain of a judder. They rang me up to say there was no issue with the 3 litre....so not having experienced the problem I was cool. Now though, they have sent my local garage new engine mountings....so it is booked in to have them replaced soon....

VIDEOMASTER

I wonder if Fiat think you too have a 2.3 and not a 3litre as they did with me. Might be worth checking with the garage as in my case I had a call from the garage saying my bits and pieces were in but of course for a 2.3

Guest peter
I was talking to my friendly Fiat main agent last week and he volunteered the info' that the 3 Ltr models have a problem with the final drive (diff') and were fixing loads on recall.

Guest peter

Does anybody have the part numbers for the replacement engine mounts for the 2.3 please. I've got a sneaking suspicion that mine haven't been changed, as the part numbers on them don't look new. Plus the job was quoted at 2 Hrs and from looking at the location of them, that timing just doesn't look possible.

Is the whole mount changed or just the Aluminium part that's attached to the engine?.

peter - 2009-08-09 9:57 PM

Does anybody have the part numbers for the replacement engine mounts for the 2.3 please. I've got a sneaking suspicion that mine haven't been changed, as the part numbers on them don't look new. Plus the job was quoted at 2 Hrs and from looking at the location of them, that timing just doesn't look possible.

Is the whole mount changed or just the Aluminium part that's attached to the engine?.

Peter,

Have a look also at the photos I posted on the 2nd and 3rd of August. If you can ignore the missing bolts, you can see what they look like and the number on the offside one.

Thanks for the part numbers guys. But I'm still not convinced that my mountings have been changed even tho' my numbers correspond with the"New" Pt Nos. Because before the alleged change I noticed that one of them had a mark on it where it had gotten wet at some time and it's still there MMmmmm!.

Could someone who hasn't had the mounts changed yet let me have the numbers off their mountings please, so I can confirm or dispell my suspicions. As I still cannot see how all 3 mountings can be changed in 2 Hrs. I hope I'm wrong, but I am begining to sense a nasty smell.....

Hi Peter

Although I have had the mountings changed I still have the old ones in a box in the garage! Just been to have a look.

Referring to the pictures posted by Stewart :

Engine Mount 1 is A236

053 8F

Engine Mount 2 is F1A 1343241080

There is a third mount which has no number!

Hope that helps.

Colin

Thanks for that Colin. It would appear that my fears were unfounded. But I still cannot see how they can be changed in 2 Hrs as one is buried under loads of stuff in the engine bay.

Archived