Thetford C-200 trouble!!

AnnPaul

:$ :$ :$

We have a C-200 cassette toilet which been causing trouble over the last few weeks of our holiday. we have been having a strong smell of "wee" while travelling, when we open the outside door to empty the cassette there is water! on top of the bowl and in the base of cupboard. Any ideas or suggestions as to the problem welcome.

Paul and Ann

Hi

I have had this problem in the past. We even had the cassette dribbling when standing ready to empty at home.

Having sensitive typists fingers I have found that I can feel a double click when closing the flap after use. Since this enlightenment we have not had any problems with smell or leaks.

I hope that this will solve your problem too.

Joyce

Thetford do an aerosol lubricant for this valve - it is the "blade valve". The cans last for ages, even if you use them every time you empty the cassette. Since I began using this lubricant, more years ago than I care to remember, I have not had to renew the seal, nor had any odour problems.

Spray the blade valve and seal with 'Back-to-black' or similar plastic bumper cleaner that has silicon in it and it will do the trick, also when the inside of the pan is dry spray that at the same time. Nothing much will stick to that, so you always have a nice clean loo. What ever spray-on bumper shiner I am using at the time works with no big expensive bills.

Hi, we have had the same problem it mainly happened going up or down hills the cause was the pressure relief valve leaking, if you search thetford.com you can select your wc type C2 electric flush ? diagrams and manuals are downloadable.

Regards Alf

AnnPaul

When we have had this problem, the large sealing ring has always been 'wrinkled' and the obvious cure has been to change it.

Caution! This large ring comes in two versions, depending on the age of your C-200 and it is vital to use the correct one.

The other advice mentioned above about using lubricant is quite right and does take some of the strain off what Thetford call, "the mechanism". Eventually the mechanism will break and whilst you can replace it in situ, it is an awkward job and best avoided.

Hi Paul & Ann, remove the cassette if still full empty, then fill with clean water, dry, shake cassette about and look for water leakage.

I still think air release valve is your problem.

Regards Alf

Alf

Many thanks for reply, you state that ou think it is the "air release valve" but I have down loaded the info from thetford and cannot find this item on their lists. Is there another name for this part? Hope you can help again.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul I have attached a file containing the exploded diagram and a parts list.

Did you fil cassette with water and look for a leak? the air release is actually called an Auto vent and is item 19

Regards Alf

Paul.

The only leak ca be from the removable cassette.

Remove this flush if required fill 3/4 full with clean water.

Dry cassette.

shake about and find your leak the exploded parts diagram will identiy the part you require. any problems you may email and I will reply or telephone.

Regards Alf.

alf - 2009-03-02 5:36 PM

Paul.

The only leak ca be from the removable cassette.

Regards Alf.

Not so! As has already been stated, the "liquid" can escape before it ever gets into the cassette, if the blade valve seal is defective. In my experience this is the most likely problem, though I have had a leak from the vent valve and from the release valve (the one you push to empty the cassette).

A brief addendum to this...

The blade-closing mechanism on C-200 toilets acts differently from that of earlier models. The blade does not 'rub' across the rubber seal as such, but (as Joyce mentions) is dual-action, moving laterally beneath (and clear of) the sealing ring and then moving vertically upwards to make the final watertight seal. This action is much kinder on the seal and makes lubrication less critical (though it's still a good idea of course).

Wrinkling of the rubber seal can be due to use of over-aggressive cleaning products. I remember an e-mail correspondence years ago with a motorcaravanner who asked me whether I could offer an explanation as to why the seals on his cassette-toilet were deforming. I wondered what cleaner, if any, he was using and he said none. Shortly after he came back, saying he had mentioned toilet cleaners to his wife who had owned up to using some savage domestic product strong enough to strip chrome-plating.

AnnPaul - 2009-03-01 5:13 PM

We have a C-200 cassette toilet which been causing trouble over the last few weeks of our holiday. we have been having a strong smell of "wee" while travelling, when we open the outside door to empty the cassette there is water! on top of the bowl and in the base of cupboard. Any ideas or suggestions as to the problem welcome.

Paul and Ann

Or perhaps your 'aim' has been a little suspect?!! (lol)

We had a problem with liquid getting in the compartment and found that the "full" warning was not working. Apparently my husband had been over enthusiastic when shaking the container and it had come off the fastening. Guess whose hands were the only ones small enough to go in the hole! It took ages to fix it back on again and I now have a horror of dislodging it again. Incidentally I use the Thetford cassette cleaner a few times a year and that keeps it clean and servicable. I certainly don't over fill either so easier to carry and less rigorous shaking needed.

Archived