Servicing at Brownhills AGAIN

Poppy

With extra time taken that also equates to an extra cost I'm of the opinion that they are only stretching the same amount of work to increase their short time finances.

I would ask just what is 'extra' and could I have a breakdown of how its different to a previous service.

It may be that some checks you could do yourself like turning taps on and switching all lights, simple tasks but why pay someone for something that can be done easily by yourself.

Why have a habitation check at all, Surely as a user you will be aware of any problems?

I refuse to pay for what I can do myself, and most times I can do it better anyway.

libby - 2009-03-02 4:52 PM

Why have a habitation check at all, Surely as a user you will be aware of any problems?

I refuse to pay for what I can do myself, and most times I can do it better anyway.

I agree,

All I do is get my local CORGI registered gas installer to carry out the pressure & CO2 checks on my gas appliances from time to time.

I can do the electrics myself and as you say, most of us are aware if we have any problems anyway!!

Sorry, but the majority of habitation checks are purely a 'money spinning rip off'

I don't need to pay to be told that 'everything is working OK Sir !!

I will now put the 'barricades' up and wait for the onslaught to follow !!!

If you keep to the engine service and MOT only, you can always ask on here if any other snags arise.

Do you know any of the forum posters who use these pages and I don't suppose we know your home locality?

IMHO habitation inspections/servicing are important. Okay for those of you who have the necessary skills and knowledge to do your own fair enough but there are a lot of people who don't have the skills and knowledge. I've lost count of the number of times I've advised people about the age of their tyres for example. A couple of months ago I found a side wall of a motorhome severely damaged by improper fitting of an awning, the mounting screws had been overtightened to the point that the wall had been crushed and the outer GRP skin cracked and letting in water ( it later had to have a complete reskin on that wall such was the damage). I've found boilers and heaters and fridges so badly sooted up that they were producing seriously dangerous levels of CO. How many of you good old DIYers have a flue gas analyser or a good damp meter, or a gas system soundness control unit??

Its also worth bearing in mind that if your 'van is still within its warranty period then this will become void if hab checks are not completed, often with the supplying dealer.

So yes, I believe hab inspections are not a waste of money but an investment in safety and your motorhome.

Then again I would say that I suppose as its a service I offer :-S :-S .

D.

Even when we had caravans a yearl ycheck was always done.There is safety, gas pipes, electicity etc. and on one occasion itsaved us a large bill for water ingress.Neither my OH or I have any practical skills really.No, its the time and price as in the past you could always have a courtesy car and now you can't.We do use our van a lot and this will include a month on the continent, so we don't want anything to go wrong!

Never had one so far, as I knew Hannibal pretty well inside-out (having completely stripped and refitted the interior more than once)!

But then Hannibal was a much simpler machine - gas cylinder housed in same peice of furniture as hob and fridge, mains input adjacent, sink directly above fresh water tank, no hot water, no waste tank (just a vertical pipe to put a bucket under), no shower, freestanding porta-potti.

Roxie is a different beast altogether (aren't females always more complicated?). Not only would I not know where to start checking everything, but she's also got a warranty. So I'm going to bite the bullet and get her "hab-checked" this time around anyway.

Maybe by next year I'll feel confident that I know her well enough to do most of the checks myself, with maybe just a CORGI person to look over the gas system.

Tony

This is the third time I've tried to post this ... something wrong with server.

I have just had my annual service and habitation check at Brownhills because my warranty wouldn't let me have it done elsewhere. This was annoying because I have to be very penny conscious and Dave's price was a lot less. The last time I had a job done at Brownhills my split fuse was removed and I didn't find out until I had paid out for a new leisure battery.

I have to pay someone to do all the jobs on the van for me as I don't have a clue about electrics, gas, plumbing, batteries, engines, etc so would have preferred to have Dave, who I trust, to do the job. Joy

(Mel, what happened to you please?)

Safety checks aside, is the habitation check a reflection of how complicated motorhomes have become? I suspect many people now do not have the tools or confidence to tackle the removal of fitments to access the equipment never mind service them.

Archived