Disabled researching to buy motorhome.

neil constable

Just taken early retirement to care for wife who has MS and looking for the benefit of the experience of others in our quest to purchase the right motorhome first time.

Looking to spend £30 to £40,000 on an A-Class.

Research so far has left the 'must haves' as follows -

corner bed (island bed beyond budget), toilet close to bathroom door as opposed to manoevring past shower area, L-shape lounge seating. Any recommendations?

We would need to fit several grab handles/rails inside incl bathroom - and outside by door to allow wife to navigate safely. I'm concerned about strength and potential to cause leaks. Any issues, considerations, do's and don't's, recommendations etc?

Breakdown cover - would be using in Europe including those countries o/s the normal cover areas. Stick with RAC as per car?

Dealer recommendations - I've visited a few and have been turned off by their interaction - I know they are in the business to make money but if I'm looking to spend that much money I'd like to think they could be a little more engaging.

If we find something privately I'd look to pay for an inspection of both base vehicle and conversion - any recommendations?

Any other considerations or issues that disabled users have encountered, we'd be grateful to receive any tips etc.

Many thanks.

Guest JudgeMental

Wecome to the forum!

Regards European breakdown insurance, most good motorhome insurance policies come with it. The service in Europe is carried out by local agent's wherever you happen to breakdown, you won’t see AA or RAC livery in Europe.

With the corner bed layout both the bed and the bathroom tend to be narrow. Can I suggest you look at the twin rear single bed layout which has become popular recently. It gives a garage as well which can be handy for bikes, mobility scooter, wheelchair, stuff etc......

No experience of A class vans so hard to recommend anyone in particular, but some of the German manufacturers have brought out budget versions recently. The Burstner Viseo is one and the Iteneo is another.

But beware of anything on a Fiat chassis at the moment (read associated threads) and are you licenced to drive above 3500kg?

Guest Peter Sharpe

Instead of an A-class, it might be worth having a look at the Mirage and the Oasis from Nirvana Motorhomes. They Mirage is a large van conversion and the Oasis is a low-profile coachbuilt, both of them designed to cater for people with even quite severe disabilities, so are wheelchair accessible throughout. The Mirage is £36,995 and the Oasis is £41,995, but if your wife is registered as disabled, I would have though there was a possibility of getting tax relief. They exhibited at the recent NEC Show, where they also had a similarly converted caravan on show that can be fitted with an electric wheelchair lift. They provide full details of these on www.nirvanarv.com

I don t know where your based but a dealer in Nottingham I think they are called RDH do a couple coachbuilt motorhome which are designed for a wheelchair one has a lift at the front and one at the rear I think the if I remeber right the motorhomes are made by sea might be worth a ring also auto trail offer custom designs with doors etc. Unfortunatly these are

out of my buget so my wife has a bit of an undignifide entry but she loves the m/h. Also MMM publish a guide and usually a booklet about once a year with firms that carry out alteration to make life easier. I guess the only down side to this is selling it on when you need too. hope this helps

Hi Neil

New vehicles can be zero rated for disabled wheelchair or stretcher users when the vehicle has been been substantially and permanently adapted to suit the person's disability and thereafter, VAT would not be payable for any repairs or servicing of the vehicle - a declaration form has to be completed and signed on each occasion.

The rules were tightened up in 2001 and VAT notice 701/59 details who can apply. More information at:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000128&propertyType=document

If youir wife is eligible then adaptations to a second hand vehicle can be zero rated but not the vehicle itself.

There are lots of different models to choose from but make sure you try out the vehicle thoroughly (i.e. make the beds and lie on them, move around in the bathroom as if you were living in it on site etc.) to ensure that what you think meets your needs actually does.

There are also lots of dealers but usualy you will find opinion divided as to how good they are - this is a reflection on how we all perceive 'good service'. One concern would be not to buy from a dealer at the other end of the country if you do not like the idea of travelling there whenever things may go wrong and to have the habitation service (normally a requirement to maintain the warranty period) done.

A good place to see many models in one place and meet different dealers is one of the many motorhome shows. The National Motorhome Show is to be held at Peterborough Showground between 24 - 26 April.

Good luck with the search,

David

Hi Neil

I also have MS and we initially looked at an A class but decided in the end to buy a low profile coachbuilt. Our reason being that because of my mobility problems getting up to the drop down bed was not really feasible. Although the suggestion of a garage is good for storing stuff, it also creates problems if the bed is too high or has steps up to it. We decided on a corner bed as we did not want to make up a bed every night and also the toilet is close to the bed with the shower being the other side of the toilet which works well for me.

Dealers tried to sell us all sorts of things which were totally unsuitable and many insisted on wheelchair ramps and clamps for modifications. If like me your wife has balance problems but does not need a wheelchair all the time then clamps are more dangerous and are a serious trip hazard.

We eventually bought a Chausson Flash O8 from RDH in Nottingham and I can thoroughly recommend them as Richard the manager has a good understanding of MS.

He also helped me with the paperwork so that we could claim the VAT relief.

Although our motorhome is Fiat based and LHD we dont have any problems with the reverse judder so dont exclude Fiats out of hand.

It would be well worth your time to give him a ring or go and see them.

Hope this helps and if you want any further info dont hesitate to ask.

Hi Neil

We have just gone through the process of getting a new M/H to meet the needs of my disabled wife.

Firstly IMHO a rear corner bed is not suitable as one partner has to climb over the other to get out.

Have you looked at any rear lounge models that have the seats lo

ng enough to form two singles. layout style as the Autocruise Starspirit is an example.

http://www.autocruise.co.uk/star-range/starspirit

There are also many "Low Profile Van" models, which also give this option, Hymer, Hobby, Knaus, Dethleths and others would come within your budget, with VAT exemption.

There are as many options as you want that will help qualify the M/H as VAT exempt.

Fiamma Grab Handle at habitation door.

Electric steps at habitation and cab doors (or running boards at the cab doors)

Additional Grab Internal Handles

Swivel Seats (standard fitting in many M/H) also help to qualify

We have recently explored the fitting of a "Turny" seat, but unfortunately it does not lower sufficiently for my wife, but may be of interest to you. (budget around £4.5k fitted, VAT exempt)

http://www.autochair.co.uk/Store/SwivelSeats/AutochairTurnyswivellowerSeatSystem0010.aspx

We are now in discussions regarding expanding the lifting range of a Milson Person Lift and are reasonably sure (subject to confirmation of various queries. (budget around £2.5k fitted VAT exempt)

http://www.autochair.co.uk/Store/PeopleLiftsTransferSystems/Milford0030.aspx

We take delivery of our new M/H this month - Autocruise Spartstar, as I can use the rear bed over the Garage in it's single form and as my wife is short, she will be able to use the front dinette as a bed and the garage will take her electric wheelchair.

My wife is disabled and after buying two motorhomes bought an american rv, we think it is the right choice, cost wise,more room and strong for grab handles etc. if like us, you use it at lot it is like a mobile bungalow. on a B class diesel 18.5 mpg towing. remember they are over 3.5 ton for driving license though

phil

Guest JudgeMental
I would go with Petra's recommendation and look at low profile coach builts as well. Far easier to live with and better value for money as well.

Archived