Rapido Motorhomes

clifty

Hi, having used a caravan for some years, my wife and I are just about to buy a motorhome. We,ve read MMM for the past 3 years , been to local dealers and think that the Rapido 786 or 7086 have the layout that would suit us. Has anyone got any comments about Rapido as a make/quality...they look pretty good to us? Also has anyone had experience of buying from Martins of Exeter...they have 2 MHs that are of interest but they are 200 hundred miles distant. We live just 40 miles from Newark but can,t find a good word said for that company?

Thanks for your help and time :-D

Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum

As a Rapido owner I've found them OK but there are so many interior variations and other makers one has to take time and research well for your chosen variety.

I start at the base vehicle, and would only choose a Mercedes with either auto or a similar gear box.

Only then would I decide what body interior suits best, it so happened that Rapido suited us (me). This was after several years looking.

I'm the one who decides regarding colours, I'm the driver, the cook, the organiser and the maintenance man, and I'm paying!

And I won't have it any other way

Bill

We have a Rapido 709F ( baby of the bunch) and it has been a solid little workhorse. Better than the swift Kontiki we had before.

I would be wary of a new Fiat based versions because of the bad press thay have had about water ingress and reversing uphill problems.

If you are looking "pre loved" then I do not think there is too much to chose between the older fiats 2.8 jtd and the Mercs.

Similar to most continental m/homes Rapidos tend not to have ovens.

Rgds

Hi Clifty

We have had a Rapido for nearly 8 years. You will see from my recent posting re: Rapido 9048df that we are now on our second one. We had previously run a Murvi and a Compass after giving up towing in 1994. We have been very impressed with the way the Rapidos are designed and put together. The few problems that we have encountered over the last 8 years have always been components such as oven/grill, fridge etc ie items fitted to most makes of motorhome.

If you are looking for a low-profile model (ie 7 or 70 series) then you are stuck with FIAT as the base vehicle. Either stay clear till the reversing problem has been fixed or if you are ordereing new get something in writing on your contract that enables you to reject the van if it judders on a test drive.

Our first Rapido was on the Mercedes Sprinter base and was superb. I would love to have got another Merc instead of the FIAT but the Merc A classes were all too long for us and we just love the layout in our 9048. The reversing problem didn't become well-known until after we had bought our FIAT-based van!!!

I strongly recommend you to go to Wokingham Motorhomes (formerly Caravanes Rapido) in Berkshire. Martin and his team will really look after you. They are exclusive Rapido only dealers and know them inside out.

Happy hunting.

Colin

Wehad a Rapido 710F for some 5 years and the only reason we didn't get another one in replacement was that they no longer made the model/ layout we would want.....and we couldn't afford the A-class!!! So we looked around and found a Burstner, whcih is probably around teh same standard.

The build of the Rapido was very good, and drove very well - on the old Fiat 2.8Jtd. As has been mentioned I would be very wary of the new Fiat, although that is what we have, and the drive is superb, just the potential ongoing 'judder' saga whcih is a bit concerning!"

We too bought our from from Caravanes Rapido , now I beleive Wokingham Motorhomes and found Martin and his team excellent at all times. He often has 'pre-loved'(what a ghastly turn of words!),and if not then Southern Motorhome Centre at Maidenhead have them.

We own a Rapido 7099F - yes on the so called dreaded Fiat chassis. However, we have the 160bhp 3L engine and have had absolutely no problems with gears, clutches or reverse judder. The Rapido Motorhome itself is brilliant and suits our needs layout wise and we are more than happy with the excellent quality of the workmanship. I would say be wary of which dealership you go to. Although this is the first Rapido motorhome that we have owned, we certainly would buy another Rapido without hesitation.

I own a Rapido 924F. Great 'van and good build quality. On the larger 'vans beware of payload issues. the build quality does tend to eat into payload. Even on my 6metre 924F I can get to the limit when loaded and with full tanks. 3850kg upgrade can help but it doesn't increase axle loading only the all up weight so load balancing becomes necessary. If buying used insist on a weigh bridge check as part of the sale agreement and allow at least 450kg for payload.

Bill Ord

We had a Rapido 740F until June last year and would have bought another one if it had been within our price bracket. There were only 2 reasons why we changed, the first one was that my OH wanted a bigger shower and the second was more serious in that where the bikerack had been fitted there was a large bubble in the gelcoat, how far it had gone through we did not know but it was definately to do with the bikerack fitting. The van was a 1998 which we bought in 2006 and had beden very well looked after and we did not notice this when we bought it so don't know when it happened. So all I can say is buy a Rapido but make sure the body is OK if it has outside fittings.

We also bought a 7099f in 2007. Apart from the water ingress that has been resolved, no problems. Ours is a 160 bhp so have not noticed any reverse judder problems. We are very pleased with with our purchase and have no hesitation in recommending Rapido for value and quality. Cannot comment on Martins - we bought ours from Wokingham Motorhomes who provide an excellent service.

Bryan

Martins of Exeter.

We live fairly local to Martins, have never bought anything from them but they are a local Devon company. Every time we have looked around they have been very pleasant and give you no hassle. Friends of ours who have bought from them say have had good deals and would reccommend them.

We have a Rapido and WILL buy another when the time comes.

Paul and Ann

However, as Rapidos are quite expensive vans and are, as pointed out above, Fiat based except the ****M series A class vans, I think I would be inclined to seek out a similar layout and quality of van on a non-SEVEL base vehicle, or delay purchase until judder freedom is assured.

Guest peter

Or buy a pre 2006 version.

We have a 1999 710f and are well pleased with it. It's great for two people and a small dog.

We have had a 7086 F for the last 4 years and have found it wonderful. Like you, we went for this van as having the layout that suited us best. We changed from another Rapido model. The only problems we have had are normal niggles with appliances, which were quickly sorted out.

Our only complaint about the van is that the Truma boiler is really boxed in under the Hob and behind the main Kitchen cupboard. This cupboard gets quite warm when the heating is running, and this makes it difficult to keep perishable goods in this cupboard.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision.

Hi, thanks for everyones advice and help. We have ordered a 2006 Rapido 786F from Martins...pre facelift Fiat so shouldn't have the reversing problems as on the new ones. As everyone agrees the interior seems well built..this one looks good after 3 years use..albeit only 10k miles but like everyone else our budget determines what we can afford.

Looking forward to collecting it/her in the next 7 days...happy motorhoming everyone. :-D

rolandrat - 2009-03-08 4:01 PM

Rapido-lass,

Can you tell me what you are getting to the gallon with your 3ltr 160bhp Fiat based Rapido motorhome, the stiffness should be easing now that you have done a good few miles.

Hi Rolandrat,

The Rapido is a dream to drive and we had no problems as very regularly used. I'll have to check with the boss re mpg as he takes more interest in that side of it. I know when we were fully laden, full fuel, water and dirty tanks and everything including the kitchen sink when on tour to the Nordkapp and we weren't taking it slowly due to time limit it was running around at 29mpg (over 5,000 miles in a fortnight) We were pleased with that. Normally it is higher mpg than that.

Rapido-lass

You must have a very light foot to be getting that sort of mpg out of the 3.0L. Are you really talking 'average'? We only saw those sort of figures when ours came with a speed limiter fitted which ment we could only swoon along at 57mph max. Now we are down to less than 25mpg and ours is a light van.

Ron

We had a Rapido 709F 2003 from new, had it for nearly 4 years and loved it, only changed it because we outgrew it! We seriously considered another but the cost of them was getting beyond a joke so went for the great deal on the Rimor we now have which suits us perfectly (but I still miss my little baby Rapido ... he was soooooooo cute!:D ).

We did have some issues with it's quality, though, eg the rubber round the caravan door wasn't fitted properly so the lock mechanism gradually 'ate' it away and it had to be replaced. The washroom door either didn't catch properly or trapped you in there! After some adjustment/moving of catches it was okay. We also found that the cupboard doors, being made from several sections of timber, eventually started to get some gaps in them, some worse than others. Not sure why this was other than ours was one of the first 709Fs and this may have been a production 'fault' which was rectified on later vans, although I did see it 2 years ago on a then new Rapido and noticed on that particular one that some of the quality of finish was a little lacking.

They are quite heavy vans though, the furniture is sturdy and this adds quite a bit of weight, hence the caution above about checking the payload and weight of the van.

As for mpg, we used to get around 25-27 mpg, we put this down to it being heavy even for a little van (5.53m).

All in all though, very nice vans and I hope you'll be very happy with it.

I think i know the one you are on about at Martins Motorhomes! We had a look the other day, and thought it rather nice (i take it the one you are looking at is the long wheel base in the corner)

One problem we have found with Martins is actually getting them to sell you something! lol! Apart from that they seem nice people. When we first bought our fleet, we went there on three seperate occasions to arranged meetings to buy stock - and went away without seeing a soul each time as they were not interested in assisting you. We had cash in our pockets (£370k) and wanted at least 3 vans that they had - could we buy them?? lol!

In the end we went to marquis in ivybridge whom are absolutely A1 perfect - good sales, good after care and excellent support. They will also discount which martins refuse.

ron. - 2009-03-09 5:13 PM

Rapido-lass

You must have a very light foot to be getting that sort of mpg out of the 3.0L. Are you really talking 'average'? We only saw those sort of figures when ours came with a speed limiter fitted which ment we could only swoon along at 57mph max. Now we are down to less than 25mpg and ours is a light van.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Yes that was the average (I kept a diary) on our roadtrip to the Nordkapp! As I said we weren't hanging around. Both of our driving styles are not necessarily light footed, but because of time a lot of this was continual driving rather than stopping and starting and there was very little traffic so basically we were cruising in 6th gear a lot of the time, so this worked in our favour. Also I believe another consideration is that the motorhome has done lots of miles so everything is running smoothly and I think more economically.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone, a quick update on our 'New' motorhome. We found Martins of Exeter to be very good...yes we got a discount as we did not have a trade in...the van was prepared on time with a good handover. They also fixed a few probs ie spluttering water pump, main door not latching on upper and lower catch when closed whilst we waited after a 3 day shake down tour in Cornwall. After 700 miles or so we are averaging 25 - 27 mpg which seems about right...although we would like more! Busy planning our next trip. Found a few extras on board which we didn't anticipate....previous owners had fitted Gaslow refillable tanks, an alarm system and the vehicle has cruise control...so all good. We've bought a topper to augment the standard 3" mattress..so that's better now. Wondering at mo about upgrading the leisure single batt? All the best...hope we all have some good weather. Thanks .Clifty (lol)

Archived