Cheapest Diesel in Three Years!!

derek500

I've had my MH for three year's this month and filled up today here in Valencia at 80.2c per litre.

As my Euros were bought when I moved to Spain in 2003 the real price to me is 54.5p per litre.

My first fill up in March 2006 was 91c per litre. The cheapest since then was 85.9c in Feb 2007.

We're leaving on March 16 for five weeks in England and Scotland, what's the current 'supermarket' diesel price in the UK?

derek500 - 2009-03-04 12:09 PM

DEEANDEM - 2009-03-04 12:48 PM

Hi derek

Filled at Tesco in Bolton yesterday 98.9 Ltr

Derrick

Thanks for that. Is diesel still more expensive than petrol in the UK? It's the other way round here.

Yes it is.

From a website: 'Average' petrol price 90.7 (dated 3 march)

'Average' diesel price 100.4

Diesel seems to be about 7p more in most places.

:-(

Major supermarkets round here differentialof 11p per litre, with Deisel at 99.9, whilst garage prices mostly a bigger differential as well as higher prices. But the Supermarkets vary across the Uk, and some time ago I spoke to the staff at Sainsburys and they onlylook at 'local' comptitiion (if there is any), and not national pricing.

derek500 - 2009-03-04 11:42 AM

We're leaving on March 16 for five weeks in England and Scotland, what's the current 'supermarket' diesel price in the UK?

Hope you've got some really compelling reasons for spending 5 weeks here Derek - can't be to fill up with Diesel - I know where I'd rather be.

Vernon

Currently if you have an ASDA card you save 1p per litre on fuel (used to be 2p!), and last week on a spend of more than £50 at Tesco,you got a voucher for 5p per litre off which was valid until 9th March (not sure if this is still current offer)....every little helps,as they say!

I remember that several (perhaps many) years ago diesel was cheaper than petrol in this country too (one of the attractions). Does anyone know the reason for this disparity nowadays. The excise duty is the same for both. The volume of sales must be greater than petrol (commercial use) and I would have thought that refining costs for the more basic diesel would be lower.

John.N - 2009-03-05 8:08 AM

I remember that several (perhaps many) years ago diesel was cheaper than petrol in this country too (one of the attractions). Does anyone know the reason for this disparity nowadays. The excise duty is the same for both. The volume of sales must be greater than petrol (commercial use) and I would have thought that refining costs for the more basic diesel would be lower.

Two points here, methinks.

1. I think that diesel had some sort of subsidy in the past.

2. Makes economic sense for the government to encourage people to switch to diesel vehicles and then put the price of the fuel up!

Interesting article HERE

I heard recently that diesel is now only the more economical option if you do more than 30,000 miles per year.

J9withdogs - 2009-03-05 8:11 AM

John.N - 2009-03-05 8:08 AM

Two points here, methinks.

1. I think that diesel had some sort of subsidy in the past.

2. Makes economic sense for the government to encourage people to switch to diesel vehicles and then put the price of the fuel up!

Interesting article HERE

I heard recently that diesel is now only the more economical option if you do more than 30,000 miles per year.

Years ago they were persuading us to use diesel ( about the same time they were telling us that eggs were bad for us ) then, it turned out that we didn't have enough 'refining' capacity (or whatever) to meet the increased demand.

Surprise, surprise......the price went up.

:-(

Dear J9with dogs

Thank you for referring me to that extremely detailed and informative article. I now know the answer and my mind (but not my pocket) is at rest. It is very rewarding to get a definitive answer rather than opinions (however well intentioned) which are necessarily subjective and may be ill-informed.

Archived