12 VOLT HEATING

DEEANDEM

Current draw is indeed the limiting feature with low voltage heating.

Typically, you can draw 10 Amps from a dashboard fag lighter outlet. When you are driving your electrical system is regulated to about 13.5 to 14.0 volts. Power is the product of voltage and current, ie 13.5 volts multiplied by 10 amps would give you a power output of 135 watts. This is not enough to make any real difference to your vehicle interior temperature. Operating your ciggy lighter outlet at 10 Amps for a very long time will also cause heating in your wiring loom as all manufacturers are less than generous with cable sizing and go for the absolute minimum they can. Your alternator will also be working much harder, especially as it already has an auxiliary battery to charge too.

I'd say this was a non- starter. Sorry.

I think your only viable heat source will be the engine, with the 12V supplying just a fan to circulate the heat.  Can't recommend a name, but there is at least one manufacturer who makes a heater of the above type.  It has a water to air heat exchanger, a bit like a car radiator core, and a fan behind it pushing air over it.  It would require flow and return pipework to be cut into the engine cooling circuit, and run to the heater position via an accessible on/off valve, and electrics to supply the fan (which I believe has a built in speed selector) via an ignition switched supply.  The heater is designed to be concealed within the base of a wardrobe or bed locker, and you will also need to provide for an air return path to the fan.  You may also need to drill the floor for the pipework.  Quite a bit of work and, if you can't/don't want to take it on yourself, quite expensive, due to the different "trades" involved.

Some years ago I fitted a heater to my 1938 rover which I purchased from a firm in Coventry who make all sorts of coach heaters they are run from the vehicle cooling system and need a 12v fan for circulation alas can't remember there name some one might.

Auto jumbles often have the old Smiths round heater which incorporate a fan simple job to fit just some heater hose extended to the mounting position

The curtain across the back of you is by far the best way of heating the cab area, it reduces the area to the size of a pic-up cab and works well, I always did this on open-to-the-rear vans in the winter months.

Derrick

I find that using the van heater before setting off to heat the van makes a substantial difference to keeping the van warm when travelling. Or you could look at a diesel fired heater to use on the road and on site.

docted

Derrick

Another idea that may be workable.  You don't say what make and model your van is, but if it is fairly recent, and has a Truma Combi type heater, you may be able to use that while travelling.  If your van has a Truma DriveSafe gas regulator and hoses to the gas bottles, you should be able to use the Truma heater while driving.  If DriveSafe is not fitted to your van, I believe this is now available for "after market" fit.  If you get one fitted, with the special connecting hose/s, it is possible to use the gas heating while driving.  The regulator incorporates a cut off should the gas supply rupture between regulator and appliance, and the hose has another at the bottle, to shut off the supply to the regulator should the hose loosen or break.  On this basis, the system has EC wide approval for use in moving vehicles.

CAK (www.caktanks.com) markets several auxiliary blown air heaters that tap into the vehicle's cooling system (as mentioned by Colin), but installation would need some thought.

Also a 12V heated fleece blanket (41" x 58" and £13.85 in my 2008 price-list) that draws just 4A, so should be fine to power from a cigarette-lighter socket while driving.

(It's well worth obtaining a CAK catalogue as it's surprising the range of 'stuff' they offer.)

I found the draughts in our 2004 Fiat made the cab cold,especially those around the internal door catches and in the door foot-well,I was going to use rock wool to insulate the door as rock-wool isn't suppose to hold moisture,But got rid of the Fiat due to other problems, Try insulating the door and seat belt strap holes on door jam, along side other suggestions already given

safe Journeys Corky :-D

Archived