Dometic/Electrolux AES Fridge

Vernon B

Hi Folks

Thought I'd share this experience - for what it's worth.

We have a Type c40/110 AES fridge in our 6 old 'van. It's performed satisfactorily but from the very outset I've never been convinced that the automatic energy seeking system has been operating correctly.

What makes that difficult to determine is that on these models Electrolux, in their infinite wisdom, decided against providing any means of showing what type of energy - mains, gas, 12v - was being used at any particular time. Hence if you were hooked up to mains and gas you could only assume that the mains supply had been selected.

Quite recently my suspicions were confirmed when, after changing a gas bottle, the red "stopped functioning" warning light came on despite the fact that the "first choice" mains supply was available to the fridge.

Careful, albeit belated, monitoring of the fridge established that it had a random tendency to make these incorrect energy choices which in turn was found to be due to an overheated section of the circuit board.

I had the fridge "seen to" on Tuesday. Not only did this involve replacing the circuit board but also the compete jet assembly which according to the engineer had been exposed to more use than he'd seen before.

Oh the cost. Well that was a credit crunching £336.32 including the 2.5% discounted VAT. And of course that doesn't take into account the unnecessary cost of gas that I've consummed during the last weeks, months or is it even years?

So AES fridge owners, particularly those with early models with no energy type indicators, might want to check functionality occasionally.

Vernon

I have this model in my van. I think mine is operating ok on mains electric because when I need to use gas it usually takes me quite some time to get it to light. This is only when it has not been used on gas for some time though. The problem I have when it is on gas is that it makes a loud clonking noise which wakes me up several times a night!

I have a similar aged AES fridge and the only problem i seem to get is if the weather is hot then it will not work on mains but will on gas. Also if very hot then the spark box doesn,t work unless you tap it.

Elctrolux man can find nothing wrong so i just live with it.

Archived