Touring Sweden, Norway & Finland

Guest Charles Chodkowski

Guest Charles Chodkowski
We are off to Norway, Sweden just into Finland and then back into Norway ending at Bergen, leaving June 5th returning July 21st. Any tips from any one? Are cash machines widely available? Do most Petrol stations take credit cards? Wild camping - is it as easy as it sounds? What shouldn't we miss? Any thing else that might be useful to know. Thanks for replying Charles Chodkowski

hi, i cant give you any tips but would like to hear how you get on over their, because we would like to go that way in august. please post to me when you return on the site below, www.motorhometoday.co.uk many thanks dave

You lucky man ! We went from mid May to mid July 2005 from Gothenburg up route 45 thru middle of Sweden, passed thru stretch of Finland and ended up at North Cape of Norway.Then down Norways route E6 to fjord area and finally Bergen. Didn't see many cash machines but took plenty cash.Found fuel every 40 or 50 miles or so and only once was Visa card not accepted ( in a Shell garage !)Kept fuel tank at least half full. Wild camping easy north of Trondheim but discouraged in the more populated fjord area. What not to miss ? Midnight sun at Nordkapp,driving down E6 from Nordkapp to Trondheim ( 100% scenery ). Trollstiggen pass. Briksdal glacier. Flam railway ( but walk back down ). Longest road tunnel in the world 24 km at Laerdal.The falls at Tvinde nth of Voss. ( But there's lots more ). Don't rely on card phones. Norways 'BT' thinks everyone has a mobile these days and has taken many cardphones away even from campsites. Internet available in public libraries. You can also visit Hell - a village near Trondheim. Don't get down to fjord area before approx mid June as many roads may still be closed by snow and you will be sent on long detours. If you like fishing you'll be in paradise ! Take several layers of clothing and plenty of film. You are going best time of year as there's still plenty of snow about to add to the magnificance of the place. Surprisingly you won't see many Brits up north. On one site the owner ( in Alta ) said " your English is very good - where are you from ?" Very surprised that we were from England. Have a great trip.

I forgot to mention that the Lofoten Islands are also well worth a visit - a magical place, especially when it's still light at midnight.

Guest Charles Chodkowski
Thank you very much for all the helpful information, our plans seem to mirror your trip of last year so you know we will have awonderful time. Best wishes and "adjo"

Hi we are also planning to go to Norway & The North Cape Have read that you shold not go before May & start to return Aug - Sept I planned to go by road - Sailing into Rotterdam or Amsterdam (Ijmuiden) We dont work any more so can afford the time I will look for your trip on www.motorhometoday.co.uk Have a good journey

Addition to my previous message; We arrived in Sweden May 17 and got to Nordkapp on 30 May. Arrived back at Bergen approx July 13. We did NOT see any mosquitoes. I think they are up north a bit later than end of May. We had loads of repellent and didn't use any. Also saw no steep hills though some were quite long. Max gradient 10percent. All roads free of snow.

Archived