insurance

trickydicky

Guest JudgeMental

With Safeguard and thinking about Saga for renewal this month as its cheaper, plus easier to insure a 2nd vehicle as they mirror policy and protection......

Saga do not include European cover as standard, what is there "Motorhome Assistance Plus" policy? Have had no luck getting through to them on phone......

Can anyone recommend a standalone recovery/breakdown policy for a 3500kg camper?

also do saga insure on Vin for when I import my next van

Eddie

I suggest you check with Comfort, as their rates seem fair to me and they will do "mirror" insurance (as I understand the term) for car and van.  European breakdown cover (RAC) is a £55 bolt on but you can pay a slightly higher premium and get your car included in your van's (slightly enhanced) breakdown cover.

So far as I am aware, Comfort will still insure on a VIN once the van is in the UK but, during recent conversations, they confirmed they are not able to offer full comp European driving cover on that basis.  Their underwriter (Aviva, ex Norwich Union) is not interested.

However, don't use the web based facility, ring them.  I think you'll get far more sense that way.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks!

Safeguard renewel is £525. Saga £320 including breakdown which was £80 extra....probably go with saga if they insure on Vin

But will try Comfort tommorow, but a London postcode does not help at all!

Eddie my quote from Saga started out at about that price but I got it down to £272 which includes annual breakdown by AA, protected bonus, no charge to pay monthly and they will cover me when parked at the house in France. Part of the reduction was because I agreed to a house insurance quote which took all of 3 minutes - not due for renewal anyway until June.

Something odd going on with Saga, 50% NCD and a renewal quote of £500 plus extra for UK and Europe breakdown so approaching £600. Have just renewed yesterday with Caravan guard @ £330 including UK and Europe breakdown for 8 months of the year (will never be Europe for a total of 8 mths). All excesses and mileage (saga 6k - Safeguard 7k) the same, Van 6mths old and £45k.

Even offered Saga the chance to price match but was told that they were not interested. No claims/convictions etc and been driving for 46 years.

Did have a cheaper quote from Comfort but decided on Caravan guard.

Guest JudgeMental
mike 202 - 2009-03-06 7:27 AM

Something odd going on with Saga, 50% NCD and a renewal quote of £500 plus extra for UK and Europe breakdown so approaching £600. Have just renewed yesterday with Caravan guard @ £330 including UK and Europe breakdown for 8 months of the year (will never be Europe for a total of 8 mths). All excesses and mileage (saga 6k - Safeguard 7k) the same, Van 6mths old and £45k.

Even offered Saga the chance to price match but was told that they were not interested. No claims/convictions etc and been driving for 46 years.

Did have a cheaper quote from Comfort but decided on Caravan guard.

That's odd, so you were already with them? what did you pay last year?

Just tried Comfort and they where as expensive as Safeguard. So Saga are half price but without breakdown........Maybe they offer cheap rate first year just to get you onboard *-)

Hi Judge,

Because I was so excited at getting my first motorhome I just assumed that they would give me a good deal, I paid nearly £600 without any UK or European breakdown cover. Now a little wiser having spoken to a few people I realise that I had been well overcharged.

Brian Kirby - 2009-03-05 6:45 PMTried Comfort Brian, the drawback for me was they only do E>U> breakdown and recovery for a 31 day period x 3 per annum.

Eddie

I suggest you check with Comfort, as their rates seem fair to me and they will do "mirror" insurance (as I understand the term) for car and van.  European breakdown cover (RAC) is a £55 bolt on but you can pay a slightly higher premium and get your car included in your van's (slightly enhanced) breakdown cover.

So far as I am aware, Comfort will still insure on a VIN once the van is in the UK but, during recent conversations, they confirmed they are not able to offer full comp European driving cover on that basis.  Their underwriter (Aviva, ex Norwich Union) is not interested.

However, don't use the web based facility, ring them.  I think you'll get far more sense that way.

I found Caravan Guard, gave the best Price and best cover out of five quotes, plus you get discounts for cat 1 alarm , Tracker, +being a member of caravan club etc cost you nothing to call them/e mail them

Safe journey,s

Hi

I have just been looking to renew my insurance on 2005 Elegance 681 Insuremotorhome through AXA and for 6k mls/year fully comp no EU travel but including AA breakdown cover for £234 which includes £57 for the breakdown.

Guest JudgeMental
Corky 8 - 2009-03-09 3:40 PM

I found Caravan Guard, gave the best Price and best cover out of five quotes, plus you get discounts for cat 1 alarm , Tracker, +being a member of caravan club etc cost you nothing to call them/e mail them

Safe journey,s

tried them just now......Will not insure personnel imports only those imported by a UK dealer *-)

If you use the Caravan Club site it produces 3 quotes from seperate insurers .

The problem is that the policy details downloadable via a pdf link seem to relate more to cars than m/cravans and seem at variance with other bits of advice given on the site.

Its a start, I have also asked for quotes from Safeguard and Saga, details in the post.

Then the fun begins compang Excesses / payouts / lengths of stay / etc

Rgds

JudgeMental - 2009-03-05 9:03 PM

Safeguard renewel is £525. Saga £320 including breakdown which was £80 extra....probably go with saga if they insure on Vin

QUOTE]

Hi Judge - were you insured with Safeguard for the last year, what was the cost at that time? Is the renewal quote on exactly the same basis?...ie has the cost increased significantly?

I'm with Safeguard, and my last year cost was £318.81 on the Burstner valued at £37K,inc pan euro breakdown,and van stored on a site,not on the driveway.

I tend to shoparound for renewal,but have found Safeguard pretty competitive, and if possible would prefer to remain with them as long as the renewal price is OK.

Just getting phone quotes for one year old motorhome, new price £47k with Fiat immobiliser and Phantom tracker kept on secure site doing 9000 miles per year in UK and Europe. I am 64 with six years NCB and clean licence and good health, UK and European breakdown, legal cover and protected no claims bonus. We live in Mansfield. Existing insurer Caravan Guard £324, Saga £305 (they are trying to win business and will give me a good quote for my car), Comfort £338 and Safeguard £397. On discussing the Saga price with Caravan Guard they gave me a further 10% discount so £291. The reason I am staying with Caravan Guard is that they offer new for old cover for 2 yerars or 24,000. But Saga was quite tempting, they also have a very good write up in WHICH. Tried the Caravan Club but they want to quote for breakdown cover separately. Until they provide a comprehensive package they are not competitive. Motor Caravan April 2009 has quite a good spread on Motorhome Insurance.

Guest JudgeMental

Keith, Safeguard were £500 last year so only £25 more. Has taken me 5 days to get a response from Saga and with my wife’s red-light conviction plus European cover it has gone up to £401 from £260 *-)

I like Safeguard and may stay with them, if the difference was still the initial £265 I would have changed......

The wife has never sat in the driving seat let alone drive the thing....so I asked (due to her conviction and the fact that they allow third partys to drive in a medical emergency) for her to be taken of.... It only made £20 differnce, because the policys are biased towards couples 8-)

When we brought our van last year, Saga would not insure on a VIN, Caravan guard would only insure a van brought from a UK dealer.

We ended up with Scenic (Budget Van at the time) cost £240 with 7k mileage limit (£220 with 5k) my mate with exactly the same van lives 4 miles away £280 due to different postcode. The van is a Hymer Tramp T654 SL Gold.

Interestingly about 2 weeks after insuring the van I was at Swinton's offices (work related) & met the guy I insured the van with the Motor home section is very small only 4/5 people on the motorhome team very helpful & as I found out they always ring you back. Safeguard is also part of Swinton & operate from the same office they are the upmarket version of Scenic offering a very comprehensive breakdown cover.

Something I did not realise talking to the lady that runs Safeguard with normal vehicle breakdown cover you may not be covered for breakdown on the habitation part of the motorhome e.g. a habitation fire caused by faulty gas appliance rendering the van unusable, where as Safeguards motorhome policy would cover you.

I will just sate I have no connection at all with Swinton I am just a very satisfied customer.

Guest JudgeMental

I called SAGA yesterday regards this, and over the phone anyway*-) they will insure on VIN once van back in the UK

UPDATE: Just thought I would try Safeguard again and have a bit of a winge........Well It worked and they knocked £75 oft and so its only £50 away from Saga so I'm staying put!

On the Safeguard Appreciation Society, yesterday morning I decided to go ahead and take out the annual Multi-Trip personal insurance (referred to earlier). This morning policy documentation arrived first class mail - this is what I like about Safeguard, the quality of service. Although Motor Home insurance is not due yet, unless renewal is excessive I will probably stick with them as the policy and inclusive European Breakdown/Recovery suits my requirements. I am sure that I could shop around and save a few quid but when you have something you have faith in and which has been tried and trusted it makes the extra ££££ worth while.

I used to insure with Safeguard and found their service exemplary.

The only time I had a problem whilst away in the 'van, I phoned Safeguard for advice and a very helpful lady talked me through what I needed to do.

The only reason I changed was, as mentioned earlier, they automatically include two drivers and charge accordingly, which makes it an expensive option for me.

i have just got my renewal from Caravan Guard, Hymer 650 S class value £55000, full no claims, 8 months E. U. recovery and breakdown, parked on drive, £200 excess, £100 windscreen, protected no claims, 67 years old with one current S. P. 30. the renewal price of £350 I think is competative, and certainly better than most of the quotes I have had from all the insurers listed on this forum. Comfort would only cover for 31 days at a time E. U. this ruled them out for us. Class 1 alarm, and Phantom tracker.

Archived