Toilet chemicals

I like Elsan Double Green. 30 ml does our Thetford cassette and is very pleasant to use. Has worked out at 15p a fill based on £4.96 for a litre bottle. Local supplier says it isn't selling fast enough to justify holding the 1L bottles so now only stocks 400ml at £2.98 so cost now 23p but I'm still happy with it.

Bob

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peter
josie gibblebucket - 2009-03-05 11:04 PM

Is it ok to start using biological chemicals after your cassette has been used with formeldahyde ones? I know from a household point of view, they say you should not mix toilet cleaners because explosions can occur! Do you think if I rinse the cassette out thoroughly it will be ok?

I don't know about explosions, but if you mix bleach and harpic it produces a massive amount of Chlorine gas. Which is deadly poisonous. Never do it or you could die quite quickly.

Slight detour of the subject,. I always buy the toilet paper for the van in France, make sure it is for "Fosse Septic" as this disintergrates better in cassete I know you can get "special" paper in motor home shops in uk, but much cheaper in the French Supermarkets.

PJay

We have a SOG fitted to our van and it is brilliant, no smells inside or outside (perhaps the filter needed replacing regarding earlier mention). I would highly recommend this item to anyone with a motorhome - it's a shame we can't have one fitted at home!!

Our next van will definately have one fitted. Yes it is an initial expense, but well worth it and you do cover your costs in time by not buying chemicals and you can use normal household paper which breaks down better than the special casette toilet ones which are more expensive in the first place. Also it is doing your bit for the planet and you haven't got to worry whether you can empty it abroad. If nothing else it is worth it if you are the person who has to follow the other one into the loo if you get my drift!!

PJay - 2009-03-09 12:36 AM

Slight detour of the subject,. I always buy the toilet paper for the van in France, make sure it is for "Fosse Septic" as this disintergrates better in cassete I know you can get "special" paper in motor home shops in uk, but much cheaper in the French Supermarkets.

PJay

We've always used Lidl's recycled toilet paper, 1.69€ for twelve rolls. Breaks down very well.

Guest JudgeMental

Yes.....but the debate has not reached a satisfactory conclusion, for the sake of clarity:

Do you wee first and only then close the trap? then place the X of T paper over an open trap? or a closed one?

I like a good old vindaloo and a few beers so a jolly good splatter is par for the course I’m afraid, so this would not work for Moi. Anyway my man servant looks after these things......

his name is raj and he lives in my motorhome garage (he has papers)

Am hoping to replace him with some one more attractive on my forthcoming trip to Goa. Where apparently pig toilets are all the rage! You have to be careful with your dangly bits gentlemen!

JudgeMental - 2009-03-10 2:55 AM

Yes.....but the debate has not reached a satisfactory conclusion, for the sake of clarity:

Do you wee first and only then close the trap? then place the X of T paper over an open trap? or a closed one?

I like a good old vindaloo and a few beers so a jolly good splatter is par for the course I’m afraid, so this would not work for Moi. Anyway my man servant looks after these things......

his name is raj and he lives in my motorhome garage (he has papers)

Am hoping to replace him with some one more attractive on my forthcoming trip to Goa. Where apparently pig toilets are all the rage! You have to be careful with your dangly bits gentlemen!

"He has papers" :D :D :D

Nice one Judge, OK, my take is trap open for a "sit down affair", (a poo), and no paper targets if you're interested, flap shut for a "stand up affair", ( a pee).

What a b****y subject :D

Martyn

We also use Kem Direct, found the smell of the blue stuff too pongy and the green stuff wasn't much better. With Kem Direct was said earlier its in granular form just open the satchet and put the contents into the cassette and if it needs a boost it can safely be put down via the toilet as it will not stain. We get ours from http://www.proppa.com/kemdirect--toilet-additive-156-p.asp as they give a discount for bulk purchase we usually get a years worth at a time

Guest JudgeMental
LordThornber - 2009-03-10 1:12 PM

Pig toilets Judge? Clock this...

http://www.goaguide.org/pigtoilets.html

Martyn

Hmmm.....maybe it would catch on over here. Instead of expensive hi tech thetfords and what have you, a simple seat and Shute into a bucket outside the van and a pig tethered to the van.

Puts a whole new dimension on the phrase "bringing home the bacon"

They are good these old threads, where is mine regards those ghastly French......:-D

fjmike

I don't think Janine's comment was silly, it was a comment which she is entitled to make, but it certainly wasn't silly.

Now your comment .... you obviously felt you wanted to make it ... I'll let you decide whether or not it makes you look silly.

Me ... I'm always silly! :D

Mel B - 2009-03-10 10:37 PM

I don't think Janine's comment was silly, it was a comment which she is entitled to make, but it certainly wasn't silly.

:D

I was refering to the posts Janine made earlier in this thread. I don't feel silly just can't understand what motivates people to have a pop at others, life is far too short. Thanks for the input Brambles

Back on topic, which I have missed laughing at the humours posts.

Are the Sachets a lot more expensive than a bottle of fluid? Sound like a good idea. I am also intested in the using of Bio washing powder. I read this years ago but often wonderd it it actually really does work. Anyone actually tried it on a frequent basis?

Brambles, using the supplier that I gave a link in a previous post it works out at about £0.86 per satchet if you bulk buy, don't know how that compares with buying blue/green stuff but I think it worth a bit extra for the conveniance (pun intended). One thing that has to be taken into account when comparing, is the type of use your loo gets. For example if your wildcamping a lot then the loo will be used more than someone who uses mostly campsites

Archived