No Spare Wheel?

tonyfletcher

We have a Bessacarr 760 and had the mis-fortune on 2 ocassions to have punctures in Tyres. Luckily both times we were staionary when we noticed the problem and both times managed a repair for less than £20.

As I am starting the long journey of looking at what my next van will be I have seen that some come with no Spare Wheel, just a compressor and Tyre Repair adhesive.

Is the tyre un repairable once the temp repair has been applied, I ask because if a new Tyre is required each time it could become very expensive?

Tony

Tony, as Michael has said been covered before many times, you will not get a consensurs of opinion on this. Those with a spare will all state 'would never travel without one' well they would say that anyway. Those without will mostly say 'no problem'. I have had vans with a spare and my current one does not. I filled the tyres with a sealant and carry the emergency kit. My rescue company have stated by letter they will deal with a puncture if I carry the kit and van was not supplied with a spare as new. When you have a puncture it usually means a new tyre anyway and you are very unlucky to have a puncture on a regular basis these days if you keep your tyres in good condition. I do not have a spare so do not worry about it, if the worst happens I will get on the telephone and let the rescue people do what I pay them for, sort it out. Personally I cannot ever remember changing a wheel myself on a motorhome, often cannot get at it or to dangerous.

when you order a new motorhome as I have done you can specify a spare wheel so there is no excuse to be without one. I would never travel abroad without one anyway as you can be marooned for ages. Another tip, always carry a good bottle jack, preferbly 8ton plus because those 2.5ton trolley jacks are useless under a laden motorhome. Also jack each wheel up then loosen and retighten the nuts to a tightness you can loosen when necessary yourself. Autotrail will always fit a spare wheel to a new motorhome if asked.

The spare kit would have been useless for me when I had a blow-out due to nails on the motorway surface so it would have meant waiting for a tow to a tyre place and waiting, possibly for days, while they ordered a new tyre. As it was I was able to go through the tunnel, albeit hours late, and to obtain new tyres (4 as it happened) in France on the same day.

Rolandrats advice to slacken wheels nuts so they can later be undone is worrying.

Wheel nuts should be tightened to the makers recomended torque. On many vehicles there is a recomendation to recheck after a set distance has been run.

Too tight and bolts sheer off, too slack and they come undone.

A torque wrench lives in my vans tool kit.

the best defence to tight wheelnuts is a good spanner and a couple of feet of strong tube for extra leverage.

Being passed by one of your own wheel = underwear change.

About 100,000 miles of motorcaravanning in ten years and one puncture. The weight of our vehicles means the rim usually ruins the tyre.

Kwik Fit do a mobile service to fit Tryron Bands and tyre pressure sensors. I am not at all interested in trying to change a wheel on a large vehicle. Sods law says it will happen in a dangerous place ( like on the road !!!! ) Tyron bands support the tyre away from the rim to allow you to drive slowly but safely to someone who will deal with it, SAFELY.

porky well fed and happy

It pays to always check ALL your tyres before you drive off, and not assume that they are all ok. It only takes a second to walkj around to the passenger side.

I have learnt this expensive lesson on a VW Touran that has no spare wheel. By the time you are mobile on a failing tyre with a puncture, you can probably having to replace it by the time you start to feel trouble through the steering and handling.

Rgds

Whether or not you carry a spare wheel is a personal choice, and I wouldn't travel without one.

It depends on where you intend to travel. If you just wander round

well inhabited areas no doubt you could just stop at the side of the road, phone for help, and put up with the wait.

If you travel in sparsely populated areas in countries where you don't speak the language, you could have a bit more of a problem.

I prefer to be, as far as possible, self sufficient,( and also, I'm not a gambler).

;-)

George Collins,

I am an old time HGV ADR Tanker driver and I have never had a wheel come loose yet let alone a wheel nut, you can`t beat a long bar and a piece of scaffolding tube. In the old days there was no such thing as ATS or National tyres if you had a flat you got on with it and changed it yourself or split the rim and put the tyre on yourself, then used the vehicles air tank to blow it up. We didn`t fanny around ringing for assistance there was none to be had.

Rolandrat -

No offence but there are a lot of newbies around

You only had to call I was on the end of a phone on call outs in the 1960s, trouble was phones were miles apart.

Split rims, split wheels, done them all with just tyre levers and slide hammers.

Gave it up and drove a jam sandwich most of the 70s and early 80s.

They now fit plastic arrows to HGV wheel nuts the show if they move so wheels must still come loose.

No way I would travel without a spare.

Archived