Internet/phones aboard

RRT

WE are off on our first trip in Europe in November for a few months and are totally confused as to what sytem to take with us for staying in contact with folks back here. Has one out there had this problem and found the full proof answer all help would be greatly received

RRT - 2009-03-09 2:57 PM

WE are off on our first trip in Europe in November for a few months and are totally confused as to what sytem to take with us for staying in contact with folks back here. Has one out there had this problem and found the full proof answer all help would be greatly received

Hi RRT and welcome to the forum.

There are a number of threads on this forum about this subject and if you use the 'search' facility I'm sure you will find them easily.

In my own case, having travelled through most of Europe, I have only ever used texting on my ancient T- mobile phone.

In fact last year I used it to keep in touch, by text only, from New Zealand.

What you decide to take with you depends on what you wish to do, but simply for 'keeping in touch' with family I have found texting adequate, and fairly inexpensive.

If you want more'substantial' contact ( e-mails, sending photos etc) plus connection to the internet, there are a few experts on here who can advise you.

To occasionally keep in touch by e-mail I set up a Hotmail account and accessed it from internet cafes which are generally reasonably priced.

( Something like 1 euro, or the equivelant, buying about 30 or 40 minutes on the net).

Haven't used it for about 12 months now so can't confirm current prices.

Have a good trip.

:-|

Thank you, I have a hotmail account so will use that in internet cafes. But texting is not my forte and as my mother is in a home I need to phone her to re assure her i am still alive. I will use the search button to look further

Take your laptop with you, download Skype, tell your friends and relatives to download Skype then you can ring them up for free from your computer and see them while you talk to them, and all for free,

We used a sim4travel simcard in France last year for two month's and was charged £0.38 for a days incoming calls. The only problem is, one of our daughter's used a Vodafone contract phone to ring the sim4travel sim card and was charged the premium rate, cards are not British sim cards. Our youngest daughter phoned us on a 3 contract phone and the minutes were included in her monthly bundle without any extra charge. If you don't want friends and relations to have high mobile bills I should first check with their provided to see if their bundle can be used to ring a sim4travel sim card or any other global sim card. We also have a contract phone with Vodafone and we are on their passport scheme. You can use your exclusive minutes with this but you are charged £0.75 each time you ring home or you recieve an incoming call. We have used the sim4travel and the Vodafone sim cards throughout Europe and Australia with good coverage. I am now looking at getting a 02 sim card and paying for European cover, I have told it costs £10.00 per month extra but there is no charge for incoming calls. I would like to know if anybody has used 02 or any experience of high or low charges ringing a sim4travel simcard.

Yes I always use O2 with the European extra added on for £10 a month. It saves me a lot of money and the charges for callers from the UK remain the same i.e. many are able to use their free minutes.

However, I also use a French Orange Mobicarte to send texts more cheaply.

For internet access the T-Mobile dongle charges were reduced massively last year. I was told it is now £1.50 per mb.

Syd - 2009-03-09 7:00 PM

Take your laptop with you, download Skype, tell your friends and relatives to download Skype then you can ring them up for free from your computer and see them while you talk to them, and all for free,

Also with skype, if some of your family and friends don't/or do not have access to a computer, you can load credit onto your skype account and call land lines and mobiles very cheaply, if you should have an internet able mobile phone (nokia n95 for example) you can download fring to it and use it in wirless nhot spots via skype, for free/ cheap calls.

Pete

Thank you for all the info. This must be my number one site for a virgin motorhomer. We took 18 months to choose our home on wheels a Hymer 655 classic. Room for us not to fall out and space for the dog. We are trying our first solo trip in June to France for a couple of weeks and then we hope off we go. Armed with the info we have we should have all our bases covered.

Archived