leak in shower tray

bromleyxphil

Guest peter

If it's GRP it's very easy to repair but if it's the usual unsuitable ABS or Styrene then it' a whole different ball game.

The one in my Rapido has several cracks and yes.....you guessed right. It's made of flimsy ABS. So when the weather gets better I am going to laminate the whole bottom with GRP and then put a thick layer of GelCoat on top. The whole lot will then be sanded down smooth and polished.

ABS is extremely difficult to repair in a load bearing situation like a shower tray. It shouldn't actually be load bearing, but converters seem to have a lot of difficulty in supporting the tray underneath, perhaps they don't reallise that someone is actually going to stand on it.

You can't weld it as it dissapears under the application of heat and just charrs. You can stick it wih PVC cement with a degree of success but it will probably crack again elsewhere. HTH

Welcome to the forum! You will find that replies are likely to be more focussed if you put your 'van details up with your name.

You could try Cirencester Plastics, 01285 655995. They are oem suppliers to some converters, you may find they can supply a replacement from stock. I have dealt with them in the past and found them helpful.

Stuart

The spray on process for shower repair was done job by the Bolton based Walkden group on 01204 371116 or info@walkdengroup.co.uk, they hold the Speedliner franchise for that area but there may be more local Speedliner agents than Bolton (see speedlinereuro.com)

Its the stuff they make pickup bed liners from and the example I saw was very shiny but looked as tough as old boots.

If was building from scratch I would certainly use it for the shower/toilet area and consider where else it might be used.

Guest peter

It's ABS and totally rubish for making shower trays from IMO.

It's used because it's easy to Vac-Form.

Grp is much better, But costs more owing to the layup process.

I've never seen an ABS shower in a boat, so that should tell you something. Like......Boats are made to last!

It's about time Motorhome builders stopped making them as if they were building some cheapo Caravan.

But if the British are content to put up with kind of build quality then they will continue.

I don't think Fairline or Sunseeker boats would sell too many if they were built to the standard that most Motorhomes are.

Guest peter
bromleyxphil - 2009-03-18 7:50 PM

Thanks very much George that is just the info I needed

And thank you Peter, for taking the time to try and help out.

It would be nice wouldn't it if we got replies like this occasionally, instead of being ignored when trying to help a fellow M/H'er out.

It's litte wonder that so many enquiries for assistance receive very few replies.

Makes you wonder why people bother at all. >:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We have the same problem on our AS Symbol where the tray has cracked where it curves up to the wheel arch. On more detailed inspection there are several cracks in the ribbed base.

I have ordered some Plastex for a temporary repair but I think it will need a replacement tray.

I have just phoned Cirencester Plastics but they closed down last September and are no longer in that business. I will contact Autosleepers to see if they carry any stock otherwise it's a major problem :(

Steve :'(

peter - 2009-03-19 10:05 PM

bromleyxphil - 2009-03-18 7:50 PM

Thanks very much George that is just the info I needed

And thank you Peter, for taking the time to try and help out.

It would be nice wouldn't it if we got replies like this occasionally, instead of being ignored when trying to help a fellow M/H'er out.

It's litte wonder that so many enquiries for assistance receive very few replies.

Makes you wonder why people bother at all. >:-)

And what exactly would you want to be thanked for then Peter???? Sounding off about the inadequacies of ABS? Didn't really give much help to the chap unfortunately did it ... or are you just being a silly billy and trying to have a row 'cause you haven't got anyone else to play with and I'll slap you if you pull my pony-tail!? :D ;-)

pagey - 2009-03-31 2:56 PM

homenaway try magnum conversions and o`learys you could be lucky google them

To follow up

Autosleepers can supply a new tray for about £80 inc p&p and they advised me that it is glued in so a bit of a job to remove the old one.

I am still looking at a repair and the plastex kit from www.repairproducts.co.uk has arrived by return of post.

There are all sorts of advanced sealants available these days so I will try some of them

Steve

Archived