Fire extinguisher type?

everhopeful

I'm confused about which type of fire extinguisher is best suited to a motorhome.

The fire service www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/extinguishers.php describes the various types quite well, but leaves me more confused when deciding which to buy.

The caravan club reccomends AFFF, which seems a sensible compromise, but I can't find any on sale locally. There are ABC and BC powder types available, but some say they're ok in a motorhome whereas others say they should not be used in a confined space due to the dangers of inhalation and loss of visbility.

Why would I buy a BC powder when there is an ABC? And why can I buy a Kidde 1kg from B&Q for £15, but a Guardian 1kg from Halfords is £33. Both ABC powder with gauge?

It seems that ABC powder is the most popular, but is it the right choice?

The price of something so important is secondary, but which type is really best for a motorhome?

I'd be inclined to take the cheapest ABC you can find, on the basis that it might be useful if you happen on, or become involved in, an accident where there is a vehicle fire.  Usually in the engine bay, you just download the lot through the radiator grille, if I remember - without attempting to open the bonnet.

If something inside the motorhome catches fire, first rule is everyone out, ideally grabbing extinguisher on way, then aim at fire from outside the van if possible, while someone else raises the general alarm.  Golden rule, do not stand inside the van trying to put out the fire.  If it is a fat fire in a pan, and you can get the pan outside by using a fire blanket, do so, but only if shallow frying: if there is fat for deep fat frying dump the fire blanket over the top of the pan and scarper.  If that smothers the fire, leave it at least 30 mins before even considering going back inside van, and then carefully feel temp of pan before disturbing blanket, or pan.  Once fat reaches its flash point, if you take the blanket off the top it is liable to re-ignite spontaneously, which is why it must first be left to cool.

Best approach, is abandon van and call brigade soonest.  You may lose the van, but at least you'll keep your looks!

I carry two fire extinguishers in the motorhome, a 2KG dry powder behind the drivers seat for emergencys that might arise while on the road and a 2KG AFFF by the habitation door for on board emergencys. The dry powder is better on an under bonnet fire for example but makes an awful mess while the AFFF will work just as effectively on any fire we're likely to encounter in the motorhome but doesn't make such a mess, once dried it doesn't stain upholstery. I have had training in using fire extinguishers when I worked for the MOD. Make sure that whatever extinguisher you go for you know how to use it, that goes for any adult passengers you may have with you as well, a fire extinguisher is only any good if its used properly.

D.

Many thanks for the excellent advice.

A 1kg ABC powder with gauge it is then, plus some "training" for the two of us.

I particularly like Brian Kirby's advice to deal with a fire from outside the van! A brilliant strategy.

Dave Newell's set-up and experience seems ideal, but not being trained in firefighting I think I'll keep to the one extinguisher so that I'm not tempted to get carried away if disaster strikes.

Finding somewhere solid to mount the extinguisher is the next problem - does anyone know if it's ok to mount one horizontally?

Archived