Do we need an awning?

Archiesgrandad

Like almost everyone buying their motorhomes second-hand, ours have always come with an awning, and I imagine that like everyone with an awning we worry about leaving it up if it might get windy, have we set enough slope sideways to run the monsoon rain off, is it good to roll it in when it is soaking wet, and so on.

Ours is a fairly substantial affair at 5 metres long, and I'll bet that it weighs a fair bit too. Is it worth carrying, especially as we have a bit of a weight problem? I imagine that if we removed it. we could carry one of those cheap and cheerful gazebo things that most of the French/Belgian/Dutch/Germans leave bent and twisted all over the sunny bits of Europe, and save quite a lot of our valuable pay load.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Archiesgrandad

hi did you use your last awning much? if the answer is no or not very then i would try a few trips without one & see how much you miss it. we used to use ours a lot whet the kids were younger but over last couple of years we used it less & less so dony even take in nowadays

hope this helps

We never bother with ours if we just go away for a weekend, its just not worth the hassle of putting it up and taking it down again. If we went for a week or more we'd use it because we only have a very small peugeot boxer holdsworth type van and it allows us to spread out a bit. We have to watch how much weight we carry too though.

As AG refers to 'removing' it, it has to be a fixed side roll-out awning (Fiamma/Omnistor) type.

The weight for a 5m Fiamma awning is: 37kg, how much a free-standing type awning will be with it's poles etc depends on what make/quality you buy as they vary enormously.

I'd suggest leaving it on the van at the moment and on your next longish holiday see if you are tempted to use it. If you are then you can decide whether not having one is something you can live with or not, also whether the hassle of putting up/down a freestanding one is worth the aggro, especially if you only ever stop for one night on site. If you use aires etc you won't be able to use a freestanding one anyway.

We have an awning on our van (4.5m) and have always had them on all of our coachbuilt motorhomes but to be honest, with the large cost compared to the number of times we actually use it (never mind the extra weight), I'm not sure that I'd bother again. I picked up a cheap little awning/kitchen tent from a carboot sale the other week - about 2.5m square with a slightly sloping roof, windows, 2 opening ends which can be rolled up and in as new condition - for £10! I got it so that if we do ever stay on campsites for a few days etc when we've left work (hopefully in the not too distant future!) we can leave all our bits and pieces there whilst taking the van out for the day, but if we were only going to be having the usually fortnight etc I wouldn't bother.

If it is a 'fixed side roll out awning' as Mel B has suggested, then in my opinion they are utterly 'useless' for use in the UK anyway !!!

And yes!! we all have them on our 'vans' don't we ? !!

Because they are so fragile in windy weather ( which is most of the time in the UK) I find that I am constantly monitoring the weather conditions ( which can change in a matter of minutes !! ) and cannot relax anyway !

I have 'visions' of the side of the van being 'peeled' like a sardine tin so in the end I wind it in !!

I have found that if we stay on a site for a week or so I am much more 'at ease' in erecting a free standing 'drive away' awning which is much more resilient to bad weather. It is extra weight to carry I know but if you need the extra space for a longer stay at a site it is well worth it !!

I would add that unless you are reasonably fit and healthy it can be hard work and you have to make your own judgement as to whether it is worth all the hassle!!!

I agree with other comments if you have a Fiamma roll out and you dont use it then its a waste of money and extra weight. We have one and use it very often just for a one night stop it only takes a few minutes to open and close, very often we only open it enough to give some protection in the wet over the door. Never had a problem with weather if it looks as if its going to be windy just use tie down kit and good pegs on legs. We also have a freestanding Movelite which we use for weekends etc, but we dont take it when touring because of the weight. The trouble with Campin/Caravaning/Motorhomes is that theres is so much stuff out there that you must have, its easy to get carried away. We have friends that have a Caravan and an Estate Car to tow when they go away the car is full even the back seats as is the Caravan they always make us laugh as to the amount they carry, just an example a good sized fridge in the van plus 2 Cool boxes (one of those being electric) We keep the extra beer in a bucket of cold water.

David

hi, we have just returned from8 weeks in spain, mainly benidorm, where almost everyone had an awning ,whether it was with a motorhome or a caravan. as novices to this way of holidaying we just took our motorhome which was great, but on reflection, we have realised an awning is a must for our next venture abroad. we noticed some people had awnings (which looked similar to a tent) which were freestanding. we think this is the type we would like.can anyone tell me what these are called and how much we can expect to pay for one. we were thinking of something around 3mts x 2.5 mts.and where do you buy awnings from?

trickydicky - 2009-03-13 6:17 PM

hi, we have just returned from8 weeks in spain, mainly benidorm, where almost everyone had an awning ,whether it was with a motorhome or a caravan. as novices to this way of holidaying we just took our motorhome which was great, but on reflection, we have realised an awning is a must for our next venture abroad. we noticed some people had awnings (which looked similar to a tent) which were freestanding. we think this is the type we would like.can anyone tell me what these are called and how much we can expect to pay for one. we were thinking of something around 3mts x 2.5 mts.and where do you buy awnings from?

Hi, As far as I'm aware they are called just that !!! Freestanding, drive-away awnings !!

We have a Harrison Hi Top Deluxe for our van, but there are a number of other manufacturers.

Harrisons are not cheap ( don't know their latest prices )

but I can vouch for their quality.

They can withstand bad weather as well as any caravan awning but can be a little 'time consuming' (not to mention the physical effort) to put up correctly.

Obviously you will have to consider the extra weight when travelling, and depending on your payload limitations you may have to sacrifice other 'non essentials.

Expect to pay £400 upwards for a decent one !!

Hi,

Have ordered our new van without a Fiamma roll out awning. This will be the first time in 20 years we have had a van without an awning, but as we now stay almost only on French aires then last year we had it out twice in 5 months. Clearly not cost effective and in previous years when out always fear wind will get up and blow it over top of van. Yes had tie down kit but a violent storm in Italy proved too much even for this and had to take down in appaling conditions, so did not use again. Regarding drive away awning/tent, yes had one of those in distant past but then become "tied down" to a site and freedom of motorhome is gone. So will see how we go on with our new Swift Escape with no awning, and let you know

hi

we have an omnistor wind out awning ,it is risky to leave it out whilst van is un attended even with tyedown kit and pegs,it is really just a sunshade.

you can buy driveaway awnings that fit into the channel on the omnistor or fiamma ,khyam are really good at around £400 or homestead caravans at weeley are selling the movelite xl at a good price £175 ,this is the one we went for its easy to put up and doesnt weigh too much.

regards grumpy carol

We`ve always had an awning as dealer has put one on "free" or at least has`nt increased the price over and above what he was asking. Can be useful if you have a dog and it rains, and obviously as a sun shade. If its windy I simply wind in to leave a foot of awning out, peg legs, avoids having to go the whole hog of folding legs away etc. I would not however add full retail price of around £500 for one.

All my vans have had Awnings fitted. I have recently upgraded to a Fiamma Zip as it not only provides extra living space but also prevents having to wind it in when the wind gets up. We do not always use it when we are away, sometimes just roll out the roof bit and sometimes the whole caboodle. It is like everything, if it suits your way of life then go for it, if there are other things that are more important and you can live without it then so be it. I find that when in hot countries the van can become stifling and to be able to sit under the awning in the shade but with a light breeze blowing it is just dandy. As for the time it akes to erect, after a couple of practice sessions and lots of cursing it now only takes minutes. Not as quick as simply rolling in and out but worth the extra 10 minutes for the added living space. Also great for doing the BBQ when it's raining, I have a small round BBQ called a 'smokie Joe' with a lid which I sit just outside the awning, I can sit under the cover of the awning keeping dry whilst still cooking MMMMMMM !!!

Surely it will depend on you, the size of your van, and how you use it.  Two of those things only you can know about, the third, from what you say, is that the van is fairly large.  A small van probably benefits more from an awning than a large one, because the limited indoor space makes using the outdoors more appealing. 

Unless you eat outside, when shelter from the sun, and little things falling from above, make the awning desirable, there is little point, and a simple umbrella type sunshade would be enough if there are no trees for natural shade.

If you go to campsites, the awning gives a sheltered outside space, even when it is raining, so the ground by the door stays dry, and you import less mess.  If you go abroad and use aires, awnings are not generally welcome, and may start arguments, so are of little value.

If you get a free standing gazebo or similar, they are quite bulky, and fairly heavy, so will still consume payload and storage.  Also, most will need drying of packed wet, and a wet gazebo will probably ooze water until dried.

Freestanding awnings are a safer bet if it is windy, but they must be securely guyed down, so pegs, guy lines and a hammer become necessary.  Wind-outs are not much use when it is windy, as the outdoor space can't really be used when everything keeps blowing away.  However, they are very quick to wind out, and in. 

My personal view is that however securely a wind-out is guyed, they are not reliably stable, and can only safely be left out in fine, calm, settled weather.  They can also do real damage to the van if the wind gets the better of the hold down, be-it straps or guys.  The UK, on the whole, is a windy place, and if we mostly used our van here I don't think we would bother with one.  However, we mainly usually use our van abroad, where calm, settled, weather is more frequent, so we use the awning extensively, and would greatly regret not having one.

Final thought.  If it already there, and is in good condition, why remove it?  Effectively, it will have cost you nothing, and if it's there you can use it if you choose.  If you take it off, you will have to be sure the unused fixings do not become a source of leaks, and it will either have to be scrapped, or stored at home.

whenever we can we wind out our awning and then sit under it, whether or not it's raining or we need shelter from the sun. I know, I know, it makes no sense - but it just makes a little special area outside the motorhome for us to sit in. Also handy for leaving chairs and BBQ out if there seems to be a hint of rain in the air.

I realise we're all different, but to Sue and me our motorhome is meant for travelling and not for staying put (we did that in a caravan) so the drive-away awning that came with our first motorhome got given away and will never be replaced. Neither can we see the least point in those Safari rooms which simply tie you to the spot.

Maybe time will change our views, but for now we wouldn't be without a wind-out awning (Omnistor as it happens) and wouldn't be with a stand-alone one at any price.

each to their own etc!

As Brian pointed out, it is a very individual thing, depending on lots of factors, there is no 'you should or shouldn't'.

When we bought our current 'van, we were booked to go to France for 6 weeks not long after getting it and decided for the time being not to bother having an awning fitted. We thought we'd see how we'd get on without one. I'm talking about a wind-out one here.

But, always having had an awning on previous vans, we then DID regret not having an awning and when we got back, had one fitted.

We too, like Mike and Brian above, use our awning quite a bit abroad, but hardly ever over here.

Ina.

We started out with a VW rising roof Westfalia, the old, heavy canvas awning that came with it was quickly put to one side. Until..

We went on a trip and took it with us, the weather was mixed so it proved to be a real boost when it piddled down and we didn't have to be confined to the van. OK it was a pain to dry out, but it was nice having the extra space in a small van.

In our relatively huge Nuevo, 8-), we don't feel the need for space. In summer when on longer trips, we take a stand alone storage tent, which is about big enough for 2 cycles, the BBQ and bottle, table chairs and loungers.

Big enough also to sit in at night and have a slurp or 3 of port with the gas lamp keeping the mozzies happy..

Can't wait :D

Martyn

WE use both types, just depends on the sitiuation. If its on the m/home its probably not worth the bother taking it off and having to store it. (It will leave holes in the bodywork)

Leave it where it is and use it. Only takes a couple of minutes to errect and put away.

Rgds

We could not do without a wind out awning. It provides shade in the mid day sun around the Med, keeps the rain off in Scotland and the New Forest and if we want somewhere to remove soaking clothes then a partially would out awning with the two verticals operating as diagonals and clipped to a couple of fixings on the side of the van provides a portch. BUT wind is a killer and in any doubtful situations I (eventually) wind it in. Laying in bed asking ones self "how much more will it stand" is not conducive to a good nights sleep.

However, if you go one stage further and have a safari room set of sides and front the structure becomes so much more robust and stable. Its now well pinned to the ground and much less chance of wind getting underneath it.

It all depends on your style of leisure.

You must do what YOU want to do - then if it all goes wrong its your fault!

Good luck

Clive

You may or may not be planning to tour around the Med area.

But if you are I'd strongly advise you to hang on to the awning.....not to keep rain off, but as a sunshade.

Not joking. It gets VERY hot down here, and in direct sunshine, even hotter. From end of April to maybe end of October I reckon you'd want to use an awning here.

Everyone on Spanish sites/wildcamping winds out their awning as soon as they pitch up.....to sit under whilst drinking the 3 litres of wine before firing up the BBQ. :-D

Entirely up to you to decide, based on your camping lifestyle.

I'm on van number six and have decided that an awning is of no use to me and not worth the money or hassle and the van is an AS Symbol so it's quite compact, which I prefer.

Hope you arrrive at the right decision. Best advice you'll get on this is your own. ha!

Thank you all for your thoughts.

We do thrash about in France and Spain, and know the joys of the evening sundowner etc.

That Aire on the road from Sete to Adge, awning out looking out over the beach - way to go my friends.

But then comes the wind, it frightens me to death, as an ex sailor I know only too well the power of a couple of hundred square feet of fabric, and knowing how robust our polystyrene box on wheels really is, I worry a lot.

Just a thought, am I the only one who has ever noticed how breezy it can get on the coast by the Med, or in the Alps etc?

Many thanks

Archiesgrandad

Archived