Thetford fridge query

Chudders

I have a colloeague with a Thetford fridge. May be an N145. It has a separate fridge and freezer on top. between the two doors is a switch mounted sideways. Neither he nor I can fathom out what it is for. No info in the handbook. Has anyone any ideas

Thanks all,

David.

Hi,

We have what you describe and apparently the book says it is a heat plate, but Andy can't remember what it is for.

The instructions are in the van which is 12 miles away so sorry can't be more help than that.

But if there is anything else feel free to ask, we have had ours 2 years and it has been switched on all that time and never been touched.

Mandy

Ok after further enquires we found this for you :

Only the N145 and the N150 fridges have a divider heater. By heating the metal

plate between the freezer and the fridge cabinet, the divider heater prevents

ice-forming when the freezer door is opened and also prevents the freezer door

from freezing stuck to the metal breaker of the fridge. To save energy, the divider

heater can be switched off. The switch can be found on the side of the control

panel near the latch.

Hope it helps

Mandy

If you need more info we can send you a link

Well, thats all interesting and thanks very much for the prompt replies and the info. As I said it,s not my fridge so will convey all your comments to my friend and his wife.Once again thanks

Regards, David

PS Hope you did not drive the 12 miles to your van just to get that info for me)

Just noticed you offered a link, would be appreciated if not too much trouble

This sounds similar to the 'frame heater' fitted to certain Dometic fridge models.

If the Thetford version works in the same manner, leaving the switch in the ON position may cause the battery that provides power to the fridge to be flattened.

The frame-heater on my Dometic fridge/freezer - for some arcane reason known only to Dometic - can be operated even when the appliance itself is switched off. The current drain when the frame-heater is running is small but not insignificant and, if a motorhome stood idle for some time, would eventually drag down the battery's charge.

We've got the same as you Derek and we thought it really weird when we were having problems with our fridge freezer that the frame defrost had power to it but the main fridge didn't! I assume there is a sensible reason for it but I haven't yet worked it out!!! 8-)

You do have to be careful though that you don't accidentally press the switch so that it comes on when you don't want it to - its just below shoulder height for me an can be easily knocked when walking by. :-S

Archived