Windscreen crack - Repair ?

bob b

I noticed the other day that I have a crack on the bottom of the screen. Question 1, is it repairable or do I need a new screen ?

Question 2, is it an MOT failure situated where it is at the bottom of the screen ?

Hopefully a picture is attached with a pound coin positioned to give the crack some scale.

Hi Bob

I suggest you definitely need to get that seen to. I'll tell you what happened with our Rapido a couple of years ago. About 10 days before going abroad I came across advice that it was best to get stone chips repared asap. So took it to windscreen centre as there were 2 small chips. An hour later they rather sheepishly showed me that one of the chips had become a horizontal crack 3cm wide. But it shouldn't get any worse they said! Well 5 days into our holiday, high in the French alps we came back from a walk on a gloriously hot sunny day and found the crack was now 7-8 cms. After 2 more hot days and the crack was nearly 20cms. Frantic phone calls followed and we had to come down out of the mountains and hang around for 2 days waiting for new screen.

Apparently high and low temperatures quickly extend the sort of crack you describe. Can't say what the MOT position is tho'.

Colin

I have a small chip in the front windsreen of my vitara and applied to my insurance company to have it repaired (free on some polcies). The screen has a black edging to it and I was told that chips within 2" of this strip

could not be mended

When I drove a coach, they would drill the ends of a crack to stop them spreading but don't know if they can do this to modern windscreens.

Get it looked at, you may have to pay your excess for a new screen but, isn't worth it for peace of mind. It could ruin your holiday.

Guest peter
It's not repairable and it's irrelevant as to whether it's an MOT failure because it will soon be right across your screen. Most likely when you least expect it to happen, i.e when your miles from anywhere that can replace it. Wait for calm dry weather and get it replaced. :D

Same happened to us I reported it to Insurance they said to ring Autoglass and make an appontment they came out to the house and fixed it, we had to pay something but cant remember how much now.They said it was very common its what they call a stress crack!!

Thanks for the responses. It is a stress crack coming up from the bottom edge. I've got windscreen replacement on the insurance policy with a £60.00 excess. I'll contact the insurance company and get it replaced next week.

Hi Bob.

I agree with others that it will not be repairable, and will crack right across the screen after a few more miles.

If it is a laminaated screen, do not panic as it will not craze or fall out.

Do as suggested and contact your insurers, although it will cost you your glass excess but will probable be relaced at your own address.

Archived