WALKIE TALKIES

hymer1942

hi a couple of years ago we bought a set for travelling with friends they were ok but had a very limited range about 2-3 miles at best but they were usefull when deciding wether or not to stop or where to take a detour. they were also very usefull on site for the kids to keep tabs on them.

as for price wern't very dear about £10 from aldi at time i think

Bought a set of 4 from Argos last year. Advertised range 6 miles/10Km but in practical terms about 2miles from van to van. Really usefull if in convoy going through towns where the correct turning is not obvious. Even if the lead van gets it wrong at least you all stay together. Also usefull if the last van needs to stop, they can tell the rest to pull over as soon as safe to do so.Will always take mine. Also used them on the Ski slopes to keep in touch as we were of different abilities using different runs. Also usefull if one of you is guarding the van and the other is in a supermarket and spotted a bargain. You may get a few funny looks but hey ho were brits on holiday.

Agree that proper CB is better, but they are not so versatile. Mine cost £60 last year. Not at home at present so cannot quote the exact model. will post that tomorrow.

Quite agree, got a cheap set from Maplin to keep in touch with other 'van when in France - useful for stops, routing etc, also when lead van is doing the navigating and gets across junction and leaves you stranded! Range we found varied a lot depending on surroundings, but 1 - 2 miles seemed ok.

Rember, driver shouldnt use them when driving,

little jack

We have used them in different ways over the past 2 years, it took 3 lots to get the best ones for us but they are handy.

Used them from van to van when friends are following us through France.

Daughter uses them when going off to the park etc and wants to keep touch with base when we are on sites and rallys

We use them at home when 9 year old wants to go post letters etc and feel and look grown up without actually letting go of apron strings completely.

The main thing we use them for is for the 2 of us to speak to each other in the day, we run a business from home and I was tired of shouting up and down stairs so now I can just press a button when the kettle needs to go on :-D

Batteries do seem to drain quite fast if left on too long.

Mandy

Walkie Talkies are limited to 500mW output therefore all have roughly the same range and are OK on the continent if they are PMR446. See

www.amherst.co.uk/walkietalkie/walkie-talkie-international-issues.htm

Quality of construction varies, we have had two sets of cheap ones that have died in a very short time.

Andy.

Hi here is the info I promised.

I bought the set of four of the previous model Binatone Latitude 650 with a Battery life of 45 hours ( Just over 2 days) and the sound quality is very good. The Binatone Terrain 650 is a later model and replaces mine. There are several reviews on the Argos site.

Binatone Terrain 650 Two Way Radio - Quad Plus. 553/0946 ...more detail

£68.49.304 channel combinations. (there is also a 2-pack set 553/0939 @ £38.99p)

Pod charger.

10km range.

Voice control.

Battery low warning.

Belt clip.

Scan function.

Stopwatch.

Backlit display.

Headsets port.

Choice of call tones.

Rechargeable batteries (included).

Guest JudgeMental

we have the Binatone Terrain 550 Two Way Radio's. Probably not as good as the 650, but still only £29 from john Lewis. They were highly recommended on here a few years ago and work very well

We have had cb and hand held ones , the cb were ok but you got a lot of hgv talk at times, the ones we have had now for 6 years are best for us. To give you a idea how we use them is, at shows if get seperated or shopping and i have dropped off my wife as parking is nil so circle and she calls up.In convoy "did you see that?"or other comments, and once where the people who were with us had their mobile go on the blink and they took a wrong turning from us it was the receiver which made us find them again. Ours cost about £ 70 and called ALAN 256.

They are, of course, not mobile phones, but what is the legal position on using them while driving?  They have all the same characteristics as mobile phones, that is to say hand held, and potentially distracting, so are they banned from use in the same way, unless capable of being used "hands free"?

Not contradicting just enquiring, but I understood that two way radios were exempted from the 'mobile phone' laws and could only be cited as a cause against an accusation of driving without due care and attention in the same way as eating food or drinking a can of something? In which case they are not deemed the same as using a mobile.

Bas

Hello Everyone,

This forum topic came up in my site webstats, so I thought I would pop in and say hello! :-)

I can see there is some confusion about whether 2 way radios are legal to use whilst you are driving and if they are covered under mobile phone legislation.

The simple fact is, 2 way radios are exempt. The mobile phone laws are very specific to mobile phones.

The Police National Legal Database is a good place to look for the law, the quote from them is specifically for CB as this is probably the most common 2 way radio used in a private vehicle, but the exemption is for all 2 way radios.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q659.htm

But, consider that a walkie talkie can look like a mobile phone so using it whilst driving is reason enough for the police to pull you over.

Also if you have an accident whilst using one driving the car then you could be in big trouble.

Also, walkie talkies do not work very well at all in a car unless you have an external antenna outside the vehicle (the metal body of the car acts like a Faraday cage and does a very good job of shielding the signal)

I do hope you all find that useful, I get asked these questions all the time :-)

My very best regards

Mark

Archived