Alpine Blackbird Sat Nav System

Big Momma

Has anyone else out there in Motor Home land got, or had, the Alpine Blackbird Sat Nav. I had this fitted last year,comes as a complete unit with central touch screen that enables me to utilise Radio/CD/IPOD/Rear Camera/Sat Nav etc. I am fairly disappointed as the map set is way out of date and there have been no updates but worse than that, when driving the screen view keeps jumping from 2 Mile view to 100 mile view. No matter how many times I re-set back to 2 Mile view it keeps going back to 100 mile, great for when you want to navigate in a local area !

I am actually considering putting this down to a bad and expensive experience and looking at new Truckmaster Europe as this enables you to input vehicle weight, length, width, height so as to avoid low bridges, narrow roads etc.

Due to go to Spain in Jul/Aug and the Alpine does not instill any confidence.

I note there have been a few views of my thread but no-one who has experience of this system. Worth noting that since writing this I have been on Internet and found a review conducted by GPS magazine who rate this satelite model as "worse than abysmal" !

So I now want to canvass the forum members as to what systems they would recommend for travelling at home and Europe. My Van (Swift Kon-Tiki 665 is 7.5 metres long and now that I have Camos Dome probably over 3.5 metres in height. Would like system that I can programme to recognise that it is a large vehicle so will avoid narrow roads, low bridges etc. One that will find location by street name, post code or GPS co-ordinates.

Any recommendations ?

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought that I would provide an update on this issue. After writing to Alpine they responded very promptly and requested lots of details, serial numbers, dealer that fitted etc.

They have now offered to resolve the issue (albeit the System was out of Warranty - by 1 day !). They have stated that for £100 they will replace the mobile media unit which has a modification to resolve the radio problem. They will replace and upgrade the Blackbird Sat Nav unit to the higher spec model. Best of all they will send an Alpine Technician to my house to carry out the replacements.

Now I know that there may be a few cynics out there but actually in my opinion this is pretty good customer aftercare. If it resolves my problems then I will be more than happy.

A much happier Motor Homer now :D

Archived