Mattress Topper

Hopesy

Hi all I've tried a search but no results. We've had the 'van for 18 months and used it loads. One thing we've both noticed is we get a bit of back ache especially the first couple of nights away. Today i looked at the MMM product of the year Raskelf memory foam matress topper but before i invest a considerable sum on a couple of bits of foam i wanted to find out if they're worth it? We have an Elddis 115 and use a two duvets at the moment (one under and one over). Any advice greatfully received.

We had the same problem and initially tried the same solution, i.e. lie on a duvet. We have found just an ordinary foam mattress overlay has done the trick - we have been using it for years. It is just one and a half to two inches of ordinary foam, and is much cheaper than the memory foam. We got one similar, of the "egg box" foam type for a double bed, about 4 years ago and it cost £45. They both transformed a hard mattress.

I have bought three or four (for different beds) from Foam for Home and used them for years. They will make them to your specifications and supply with or without covers (I always buy with). I do not buy the memory foam but the 2" Comfort Plus which is more than adequate - not only a softer bed but a warmer one too! I have no links to the company other than as a satisfied customer. Free phone number 0800 1385758 or http://www.foamforhome.co.uk

We found the same problem, having got used to your bed at home with a generally thicker and more supportive mattress to sleeping on bed in Motorhome with a thinner mattress gave us backache. We did buy memory foam from a firm who were at NEC show last year, they cut to shape as our bed has an angled corner. The foam mattress helped but we do still get bac ache occasionally and put this down to the change from home bed to Motor Home bed. I do not see any reason why ordinary foam would not work as well, the memory foam claim is, in my humble opinion, just a gimmick.

In our 5 motorhomes we have used ;

1) custom made feather bed

2) regular & egg crate foam

3)2" memory foam (once it became more reasonable - IIRC, the tempurpedic patent expired a few years ago & the prices dropped precipitously)

Memory Foam was & is the clear winner for us - we'd never return to the others & even bought it as a topper for our (very expensive) bed at home as well.

IMHO there is no contest.

YMMV.

People seem to like 'em. My wife had backache and some numbness in her arm. I treated here to a Raskelf foam mattress - one inch thick - and she is no better. Waste of money. However, it could be that the missus has a medical problems that needs sorting out not just motorhome aches and pains.

I guess they work some, but not for others.

Can recommend memory foam. We tried the duvet method but it soon flattens so any benefit is lost.

We've used two makes of memory foam, one from the NEC show quite a few years back - £99 for a double bed including zipped cover, and a cheaper one from a local market - £38 for a kingsize bed, including zipped cover. To be honest there's not much to choose between them, they are both very good. I certainly wouldn't pay out the amount that the Raskleff ones cost, as we have not regretted getting the ones we have. They do vary though, if you go for a cheaper one make sure it has some resistance when you give it a squeeze to make sure it's not just going to go flat as soon as you lay on it, minimum of 1.5 inches in depth. I think memory foam differs from normal foam in it's resilience, it remembers its original shape so always springs back to it time and time again. Ordinary foam over time squishes and doesn't return to its original shape.

As for getting a mattress topper to fit the shape you want, ie to take into account the tapered edge of a fixed longitudinal bed in a motorhome, you don't need to buy it specially made like that ... just get the overall size you need and then unzip the cover, trim the topper with a good pair of kitchen sizzors and zip it up again, once you've got your sheet on top it doesn't matter that the cover is slightly larger. We use a fitted sheet as it keeps it nicely in place - again you can soon alter these to fit the size you want without paying the, sometime, extortionate prices for 'specially made' fitted sheets.

Hi,

Nettos had some offers on recently for both the memory foam toppers and a week or so before for actual memory foam mattresses and I don't think they were that expensive, if you have a Nettos near you it may be worth checking to see if they still have any.

hope that helps

www.netto.co.uk

Brock - 2009-03-15 6:44 PM

People seem to like 'em. My wife had backache and some numbness in her arm. I treated here to a Raskelf foam mattress - one inch thick - and she is no better. Waste of money. However, it could be that the missus has a medical problems that needs sorting out not just motorhome aches and pains.

Sounds like your wife may have a possible trapped nerve problem that only becomes apparent when she is laying down and putting pressure on it in a certain way. I get problems of numbness etc and its nothing to do with the bed at all. Best to get her to go to the GP soon

My hubby suffers badly from an aching hip due to problems at work, before we got the overlays he always got hip ache whenever he slept in the motorhomes, hence why we tried the first one. As it worked so well that's why we got a second for home. Since then he hasn't suffered at all in bed! :D :$ (lol)

Brock - 2009-03-15 1:44 PM

Well we weren't looking for relief of medical problems - just reducing general discomfort/stiffness/sore back.

Even so, when I researched it, IIRC the optimum thickness was in the range 2" - 3" - one inch I doubt would have any effect & 4" is overkill unless you are quite heavy.

Density is another factor, in addition to actual thickness(google is your friend :-)

Theres another thread running on this subject on Hints & Tips Forum - worth a look. We bought 1" memory foam topper from T J Hughes - about £40 for a double last year, which has been a great asset. Would doubt the additional value of the expensive ones unless using for several months a year, and even then I would need convincing, incidentally they are very bulky and quite heavy, especially the 2" ones!

little jack

Bought a 1 inch double memory foam topper from ebay last year for around 40 quid with a cover....what a difference...now get a great night sleep in van..so much so we dont want to go home... :-D :-D

Also I bought a single topper and used it to overlay the seating and had enough left to cover the cab seats....now everywhere is comfy (lol) (lol)

Re the comment by Little-Jack - my Comfort Plus mattress folds neatly into 3 and goes easily over the cab with all the other bedding, including pillows, on top. Even when it was a double size (since made into two - easily done with a sharp knife heated in hot water) it fitted the same and I could lift it up quite easily. Had to climb step with it as I am only just over 5'!

We have a 2" memory foam overlay on the bed at home and have used a similar 2" memory foam topper on the bed in the motorhome, still don't always get a great nights sleep but I think that is down to other factors. The bed itself, whether its in the camper or home, is more comfortable with the topper. One caveat though, the memory foam toppers reflect a lot of your body heat back to you so you may find you get a lot too hot during the night.

D.

We have a 2" memory foam topper for our mattress. I suffer with my back and withour it suffer from back ache that can ruin a holiday or a weekend break. I would definately recommend a 2" memory foam topper.

In our previous motorhome, we tried normal 3" foam and this was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard if you suffer with your back but fine if you don't.

If you suffer from a bad back and want to be able to sleep then it is worth paying out for one. Hope this helps

Archived