van alarms

ROON

I already have a pretty good alarm system on my van, but does anyone know of a system whereby when the alarm is activated there is some kind of bleeper or warning on the part you carry with you? For example, I have lately had several instances when I have driven into a village with no car park suitable to park in and have had to park outside the main area at night. I feel my van is left vulnerable on a roadside when I go for a meal in the town and would feel more relaxed if the bleeper went off.

I know at first glance this looks like just another stupid question from me, but I am sure that I once found a website with these things on and I can't find it now I want one. :'(

Hi Roon,

You can add to most good alarms either a pager to page when alarm sounds or as you wish, a bleeper to warn you.

the downsde is signal strengh. a pager or a mobile phone alert is possibaly better try Van Bitz

Regards.

Alf

Hi,

I have heard of the alarms that send text messages etc when the alarm is triggered, but i have always wondered just how long it takes from the triggering to you receiving and how you will deal with the situation when you receive the message.

I would be interested in any replies, are they really a practical proposal would you have time to respond to actually stop anything.

braunston - 2009-03-16 8:21 AM

Hi,

I have heard of the alarms that send text messages etc when the alarm is triggered, but i have always wondered just how long it takes from the triggering to you receiving and how you will deal with the situation when you receive the message.

I would be interested in any replies, are they really a practical proposal would you have time to respond to actually stop anything.

Hi,

We are with Phantom, and have found they respond very quickly by ringing- usually within minutes, we know this as it has normally been us being muppets setting the alarm off! However, we did on one occassion receive a text message immediately saying they would call asap which was about 5 minutes later - this message could be answered if you required.

Once they have phoned you, if the motorhome is safe - ie we've set it off, that's it. However, if you were to say your motorhome was not safe ie stolen, they would track the vehicle and involve the police to recover it immediately.

We have by the grace of God, never been in that predicament or wish ever to be so, so can't fully comment on that part of it.

The main alarm cannot be heard if you are in a supermarket and you need to put several cheapo remote alarms in [about a fiver] and purchase 2 walkie talkie type radios that have a good range e.g. 30 ml [these are on e-bay for about 25 quid and have a vox setting which will switch to transmit if the alarm goes off. The one with you in the supermarket will be just set to receive and if the alarm goes you can then do something about it.

dikyenfo, If I go along that path, will you explain that to me step by step please REALLY simply cos it sounds a bit complicated and I am a dumbo on electrical things. Thank you. I won't mither you now unless I find them on eBay and buy one. Joy

Guest JudgeMental
That is what we do, we leave one hand set in van and take the other out with us. If the alarm goes off we will hear it......... and probably get stabbed to death when we catch the scrot's red handed *-)

There is a full instructional manual supplied plus all the gubbins you need . I use the earpiece and put the radio on my belt. VOX is voice or noise operated transmission and is very good for piece of mind as most breakins occur when you are not in the van. I also take a mobile with so I could ring the cops but all big supermarkets have in store security who would be only too glad to assist you apprehend any bad guys. Having spent some time in places in Spain that are somewhat dangerous I take some protection with me that is legal to posses. A gas pistol .177 calibre and a pistol crossbow of 80 lbs pull and a competition catapult with illuminated sights. All of these are good for furry vermin as well and my personal best on a camp in the Vendee was 51 rats ; mice ; shrews; voles and coypu - these latter are sods in the cooktent.If you have an earlier van such as mine I also use an alarm of the personal variety where a prg is pulled from the body of the device to operate it and I superglue the parts accross the Quarterlight so if the thief cuts the quarterlight of fwith a stanley knife the alarm would sound.This would also be picked up by the radio as sensivity is adjustable.

dikyenfo - 2009-03-16 5:01 PM

There is a full instructional manual supplied plus all the gubbins you need . I use the earpiece and put the radio on my belt. VOX is voice or noise operated transmission and is very good for piece of mind as most breakins occur when you are not in the van. I also take a mobile with so I could ring the cops but all big supermarkets have in store security who would be only too glad to assist you apprehend any bad guys. Having spent some time in places in Spain that are somewhat dangerous I take some protection with me that is legal to posses. A gas pistol .177 calibre and a pistol crossbow of 80 lbs pull and a competition catapult with illuminated sights. All of these are good for furry vermin as well and my personal best on a camp in the Vendee was 51 rats ; mice ; shrews; voles and coypu - these latter are sods in the cooktent.If you have an earlier van such as mine I also use an alarm of the personal variety where a prg is pulled from the body of the device to operate it and I superglue the parts accross the Quarterlight so if the thief cuts the quarterlight of fwith a stanley knife the alarm would sound.This would also be picked up by the radio as sensivity is adjustable.

Words fail me...

Dikyenfo - Are you a mercenary in your day job?

Braunton - Ours sends a text in about 10 seconds. You have a point about how useful they are. If you are nearby, say in a restaurant, then you can react quickly to the situation. On the other hand if you are miles away then there's not much you can do save ring the campsite, or whatever, to attend and then head back as soon as possible in case the low-life decides to have a second attempt,which they often do.

Ron

dikyenfo - 2009-03-16 5:01 PM

My goodness ... I hope I never camp next to you on a campsite ... I'd hate to think what would happen if I was out late at night walking the dogs past your van!!! Are you actually allowed to kill some of these????? 8-)

Guest JudgeMental
ROON - 2009-03-16 6:16 PM

WOW! i'm not half glad I'm not a coypu!!! 8-)

I certainly would not wear my Davy Crocket hat (complete with tail) if camping near this chap.........

tp50_imitation_davy_crockett_hat.jpg.71c88a0b52db1fdfd5eb62339bb654d2.jpg

dikyenfo - 2009-03-16 11:17 AM

The main alarm cannot be heard if you are in a supermarket and you need to put several cheapo remote alarms in [about a fiver] and purchase 2 walkie talkie type radios that have a good range e.g. 30 ml [these are on e-bay for about 25 quid and have a vox setting which will switch to transmit if the alarm goes off. The one with you in the supermarket will be just set to receive and if the alarm goes you can then do something about it.

Brilliant always the simplest ideas that are the best, I already have the walkie talkie radios with VOX - makes them even better value now. Mind you though don't know about the 30 mile range though did you mean 3 miles

If you had not already bought a pair of radios I would have suggested buying the higher output models. There should not be a problem with legality as when using the PMR channels the power is automatically reduced.So anyone out there who wants the extra range use some of the other channels. Incidentally although people consider it amusing to think of the more unpleasant jobs having to be done when you are manageing campsites abroad the clients tend to want all things creeping crawling or slithering to be killed immediatly. The others not mentioned previously are the snakes [adders] which love tents and they tend not to come out when called so the rounders bat gets used fairly frequently. Works on mixy rabbits which were popularly found round the pool. Eric -the french equivalent of me- was ,like me ,frequently seen with a bloodstained carrier bag and we used to shake by touching elbows. This was very common after cleaning out the sewer pipes. Happy days.

Archived