Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan Club

Guest Vicky

Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club
It depends what type of camper you are. The caravan club has an excellent network of quality sites. Their club sites are located very conveniently a lot near to city centres and major tourist attractions. The camping club because it has it basis with tent camping has a wide variety of sites some not suitable for larger vehicles. It also has a number of special interest sections you may like to join. The sections cover a wide variety of pastimes from Boating, canoeing, folk song and dance, lightweight and mountaineering and many others. If you can afford it join both, if only for the first year and see which club appeals. I am in both but I do prefer the Camping Club, I sometimes feel on Caravan Club sites "one should dress for dinner"

Guest David Powell
For many years, way back, I belonged to both but as the years went by I found that for no specific reason that I can recall, I rarely used the Camping & Caravanning Club. With the Caravan Club, their MAYDAY [greenflag] breakdown service is probably the best for motorhomes, as there is no size limit, they don't own their vehicles, like the AA/RAC, they contract local garages all over the country, which is a good thing, as often if you have to go to a garage to get a major job done following a break down, the man who came out to you can usually do the job back at his garage without a lot of hassel,and at a reasonable price.

Guest Brian Kirby
The Caravan Club is much more formal, and fusses about getting lined up just so on your pitch. Dressed for dinner is good! Oxford bags, sports jacket and check shirt territory between times. The Camping and Caravanning Club, by contrast, is more relaxed and tends towards trainers and shell suits, though more often tee shirts and jeans, though by no means exclusively!That's the snobby bit over! CCC has very good foreign touring/booking service, Carefree, that at times offers excellent ferry discounts. CC similar, but has never quite seemed as good to me.CC has really excellent foreign sites guides, all entries provided by members rather than inspectors that, in its latest incarnation, I think beats anything else I have seen hollow.Sites of both clubs inevitably vary due to duration since last refurbishment, standards are reasonably good but not quite on a par with the best in europe. Prices can be surprisingly high and some can begin to look poor value.Both suffer from advance booking syndrome, making ad hoc visits risky, especially weekends, more so bank holidays and school holidays. I got told off for just arriving at a CCC site last year: not booked, how could I!Both have extensive networks of affiliated small privately run/owned 5 unit sites that many love for their peace, quiet, and often, remoteness. Few of these have more than rudimentary facilities, fewer still hook ups.Membership cost is approximately the same for both. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I think the CC mag is much the better, CCC mag is a bit of a "red top" by comparison. I that the best idea would be of join both if at all apooible, then sample a few of the sites of each and decide which, if either, you dislike.My personal betes noire are those dog owner members of both clubs who pay only lip service to the rules about keeping their animals on a leash at all times; the stinking dog walks if you stray onto one; and the members who turn up next to you with several dogs in a caravan / motorhome. (The record so far is five labrador size dogs in a caravan, but then, I don't have dogs - and now I'll be in trouble, just watch!Hope this is helpfulBrian

We have just purchased a VW T5 and are expecting to take an extended tour of Europe this summer. I am not sure that we are the dress for dinner sort, so maybe we should err towards the Camping and Caravan Club!

Vicky The clothing issue is a "red herring" you wear what you are comfortable with thats what motorhoming is about. But generally CC sites are better organised and cost a fraction more than C&CC sites but you get what you pay for. The CC Caravan Europe books are I believe fantastic value and esential if you wnat to use proper sites rather than aires.

Guest Brian Kirby
I agree the clothing comments are a bit of a caricature Chris, but both Will and I get the same feeling. It's a bit Caravan Club for officers, Camping and Caravanning Club for other ranks! It is, after all, the shadow of their origins. Tent campers were not, generally, so well off, and caravans (and the cars to pull them) cost a lot more than tents. The CCC (originally just the Camping Club) inevitably tended to be the home of the skilled manual worker, whereas the CC had the bank managers. It's not the whole story, of course, but these differences, although largely irrelevant today, still colour the membership. At least: I can see it, and I don't need to go looking. For some people, that may make a difference to how comfortable they feel in one club, or the other. Therefore, I don't think it should just be dismissed as a red herring. Brian

Guest Dave Newell
Been members of both over the last ten years and kicked them both into touch as we just don't get the opportunity to use their sites often enough to save the membership costs (just a note here, the saving is quite arbitrary as it's based on what you would pay for the same club site as a non member! As we didn't use the sites enough as members we certainly don't use them very much as non members, who would?) Having said that there are many other benefits(?) to being a member of either club and we never encountered any issues of "officers/other ranks" in either club. On every site we used except one (Uttoxeter racecourse) we were greeted with friendly and courteous wardens. dave@davenewell.co.uk

Guest Piggy, Midge & Romy
Brian Let me respond to your 'criticism' of my humans and me. I am a very well behaved bitch, of older years and a bit worse for wear, however I, and my brother and sister, are very well behaved on site. We do occasionally sneak out of the mobile dog kennel for a quick sniff and potter, however, we know the edge of the pitch is our boundary and stick to it. We rarely make a noise and always have our leads on when going for a stroll - not really needed but we've got to so that our poor humans get some exercise and don't lag behind and get lost! We greet other campers, both doggy and human, always with a smile and wag even when they look a bit ruff. Our humans are well trained and keep all areas clean and tidy. We occasionally go for a sniffle in the dog walks but find a nice in the areas outside of the site much more interesting - you do get so bored of just smelling other dogs you know, much more interesting to get the whiff of a cat or squirrel. We have even been known to perform tricks to entertain children and other simple minded humans - it makes them happy so it is worth the small sacrifice of being a bit embarrassed. Well, must dash ... my human needs his walk. Lots of licks Piggy

We are members of both C&CC have better overseas Rallies & tours also an easier booking system with much less and easier to understand paper work We have RAC membership through C&CC at reduced rates CC produce and SELL two Camping Europe books where the sites are reccomended by the members They GIVE you a thin book with their holiday sites in when you book - that is in addition to the pamphlet used for booking on CC sites you HAVE to pay for Electricity With C&CC Electricity is an optional extra Also with C&CC over 60's get a discount out off main season on most sites CC rallies in this country HAVE to be prebooked C&CC most UK rallies DO NOT require prebooking CC Has more UK sites than C&CC

One more thing, with CC if you use the Frizzell credit card, for every £2,500 you put through it you get a free night voucher, it's surprising how many of these you can get and it makes your peak season holidays cheap! We just use them every now and again in between CLs when we want a really good scrub down in the showers!!!

We joined the C&CC for one reason only - access to the RAC Arrival scheme. We used a club site only ever once and were so put off by the rules and "all in a straight lines with noses to the front" brigade we have never gone to one since. Why when we get a vehicle to "get away from it all" do we want to sit in close rows with others in a field when you can do your own thing for less cost and more privacy elsewhere. But, whatever turns you on so be it! Different subject but mentioned above. On Frizzels (Liverpool Victoria) we just switched our home insurance to them from Nowrich Union and saved £230.

Guest David Powell
PeteC, as you have RAC through C&CC, have you ever called them out after midnight? I was very surprised when I was told by best pals son, who is an RAC man, that they don't get called out after midnight, a contracted garage does the late calls. Makes sense when you think of profit margines, you can't have a big fleet of break down vehicles and men waiting around all night "just in case".

Guest Brian Kirby
This is not a plug, and I have no connection with the firm, but--Since retiring and getting our motorhome Christmas 2004, I have re-organised most of our insurances so that we could get away for longer breaks. Our original home and contents insurances limited the time we could leave the house empty, and most mororhome insurances limit the time you can spend abroad. After much punting around I found Comfort Insurance, whose offering forms a integrated package that covers your absences from home to the same extent as you are allowed to drive abroad. We selected three months for all, but this can be longer, or shorter. The motorhome insurance option we selected also incorporates Europe wide RAC recovery without weight or length restriction. It is not quite so comprehensive as the version offered by the CCC, but it is very close. I have now also switched the car to the same terms. Why? Because it was so much cheaper overall. The home and contents packages cost a bit more than the previous insurances (CCC and Frizzell), but now provide cover for 90 days absence without strings; something neither of the others could/would offer. The package also includes annual health and travel insurance for matching periods of absence. The motorhome insurance gives 90 day single trip cover with, an unrestricted number of days absence during any year. The cost was lower than almost any other quote except one from the Caravan Club, but that didn't include the RAC cover. It is this inclusion of the RAC cover, for a premium that is approximately the same as insurance without the RAC element, that was, for me, the clincher. The ovarall package all dovetails together, and is designed to do so. Taking the cost of just the insurances, it is broadly competitive, although not always cheapest, but when I tried to buy the missing European breakdown cover elsewhere, I soon realised how much cheaper the Comfort package was overall. The insurer is actually Norwich Union, so not some fly by night tin pot organisation, who have block bought the RAC element and built it into the car/'van insurance documents, and the health insurance is an option on the house/contents insurance, Comfort merely being the independent agent/advisor who flogs it. They are not huge, they are pleasant to deal with, and they respond very quickly to enquiries. They won't suit everyone, but may be worth exploring. They certainly seems to work for us. Hope this helps Brian

David Powell No I havent called them out after midnight But was in "Green Fag" (who provide the Caravan Club rescue service And had to call them out twice - First was to a flat battery The ?repair? man said I had to be towed to a garage - so I called the little man from down the road - He came and said we required a jump lead To which GF Man asked what he meant & how did you use it Little man produced the jump leads and connected them up started my van & away Second one was after a break in we called Green Flag and the Police Police turned up after 1/2 hour & appologised he had been at the scene of a fatal accident took all details and had a cupa then left Green Flag turned up 15 minutes later - We will have to take it to a garage - I had already sorted out the tools and some bits to perform a repair So I sent him packing & claimed my late arrival fee then joined RAC AA didnt cover the size of van that I was driving (Not a motorhome)

We also have a small VW campervan, and assumed we would not be eligible for the Caravan club. We did join the C&CC, and have made good use of the Carefree overseas travel service. We also enjoyed their overseas rally at La Manga last Feb, and are off again next month. We haven't been on any C&CC meets in the UK, as most are on sites with no toilet facilities, and we don't carry a loo from choice. They mark these meets as own san ess(ential). We have stayed on one of their small "certificated site" which did have a toilet and shower, and it was lovely. The C&CC club is designated the Friendly club, I'm not sure by whom, but members certainly enjoy a chat, in my experience. We think our subscription is good value. But the best value subscription is the MMM!!!

Guest David Powell
Good evening PeteC, sounds like you had a bad experience with GF. You should have reported the Garage concerned and they would have been struck off. GF is not only used by The Caravan Club, but also by some of the big insurance companies, I think what you experienced was quite unacceptable. I have had similar things with the AA a while ago, so since then I stuck with RAC, and GF. RAC batteries are very good, got a new one last week, a lot cheaper than a certain national battery, and parts shop, including free delivery, fitting, and disposal of the old one.

Guest David Powell
PeteC, I'm surprised your "little man from down the road" uses jumpleads, every body knows that "spiking" caused by using jump leads, can ruin compter management systems. I have not seen a break down man for years who doesn't use a battery booster specially designed for jump starting engines, even big diesels, and a lot less bother than rigging up quaint old jump leads, specially in the rain. The last jump start I had, he talked me into going out and buying a battery booster myself. You can get one with a built in compressor too. They come in at around £20 depending where you buy it of course. Nothing to do with CLUBS of course.

Guest Dave Newell
David, Using jump leads properly does not cause spikes and modern engine management computers are pretty well protected. The use of jump leads is fine if the correct procedure is followed: connect positive lead to donor battery positive terminal, connect positive lead to flat battery positive terminal, connect negative lead to donor battery negative terminal, connect negative lead to engine block of flat battery vehicle. Start engine on donor vehicle and run at fast tickover for several minutes to put some "surface charge" into the flat battery then start the flat battery vehicle. Disconnect leads in reverse order. I've been in the motr trade and related industries for approaching 30 years during which time I have jump started many hundreds, if not thousands, of vehicles and have never damaged any electronics in the process. As for the use of power packs for jump starting the only differences between these and using jump leads/donor vehicle are; 1. The power pack is more portable. 2. The power pack doesn't have a generator attached. 3. The power pack has a small capacity (nominally 12 volt) lead acid battery inside. Because of this limited capacity (typically 17 AH) they are only really any use for starting a motor whose battery is only just too low to start the motor. In other words if your battery is so flat that it won't turn the engine over, or if it does then very slowly, then the power pack won't help. Having said that I totally agree that at around £20 or so it is a piece of kit worth having. Regards, Dave. P.S. sorry for drifting off topic.

Guest Derek Uzzell
David Powell: I accept that the traditional practice of using jump leads has the potential to harm engine management systems, but this is certainly not universal knowledge. I would argue that recovery services choose to use power-packs primarily for their greater convenience, with risk reduction a useful side benefit rather than a deliberate aim. Sufficiently powerful portable booster-packs have only become available fairly recently, whereas automotive electronics have been around far longer and, during the interim period, recovery services would happily have jumped-started your vehicle in the time-honoured fashion. The handbook for the current Ford Transit describes the jump-starting procedure in detail, with diagrams showing how 'donor' and 'recipient' vehicles should be positioned and the manner in which jump-leads should be connected. Interestingly, no mention is made of using a power-pack as an alternative to a donor vehicle.

Guest David Powell
ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY, as they say, I would not disagree with anything that Dave and Derek are saying. I have been reading them with great respect for a long time, Dave on "the other Forum also". But a few years ago a well meaning Ford Transit builders truck driver kindly gave me a Jump Start with his leads and wrote off my automatic Senator, it did start, but stopped after a couple of seconds, FOR EVER. The electrical and computer repairs and replacement cost was more than the car was worth. He did tow me to an auto electrician, who warned me never have a jump lead start from any one but an official breakdown vehicle, as it could happen again. Also don't ever give anyone else a jump start or you could end up with a load of trouble on your hands. So last month when my next door neighbour asked me for a jump start, I played safe and lent him my motor home starter battery. Can't help wondering why the Green flag man questioned PeteC about jump starting his van? Sorry to sound alarmist, but when you loose your favourite car through jump start leads, one tends to become rather cautious and distrustful.

Guest John Lewis,
Getting back to the original query Caravan Club or Camping and Caravanning Club?, I am in both clubs and agree with Will Redfern's comments. My only quibble with the C&CC is its obsession for fire buckets! (No doubt this will create another debate!)

• 3 months later...
I have been a member of both clubs for more years than I care to remember. My findings are as follows...CC sites are ok if you like to sit in a vehicle sales forecourt. C&CC sites are much more informal. CC cl,s are really terrific with a lot of them having a high level of facilities including electric hook-ups. C&CC cs's tend to be much fewer on the ground and their sites guide include lots of commercial sites. To sum up...I use the CC for their CL's and the C&CC for their club sites and also their tempory holiday sites. The latter are usually very informal but with basic facilities.

I was a member of C&CC for one year. Not a grait fan of their rule book approach. As I have said elsewhere, we avived at one site on a wet day, waited around for warden, when he arrived said it was to wet to park on grass, but would not let us park on gravel near toilets so we had to move on, when we got to commercail site it was also to wet to go on grass so site owner told us to park on road near toilets, no problem. Also when at nearest site to fishgard and wanting to catch early ferry had to park in gateway because gate is locked overnight, they need to think about members needs. They do however have the best site directory I have ever used.

We joined the CC just before we collected our first van in October last year. We visted sites all over the winter and were both impressed with the quality of all the CC sites we have visited. This includes the size of the pitches, toilets, showers etc. and the friendly welcome of the various wardens. Neither of us have ever felt the need to pay any special attention to the way we dress at any of the sites. I have often heard the CC described as "The Posh Club" and I just can't understand why. We joined the C&CC at the NEC in February because we thought it would give us a lot more choice. The first time I tried to make a booking for a Saturday night, I was told that I had to stay for a minimum of two nights. Both my partner and myself work full time and only get the opportunity to stay one night. We can't comment on the quality or otherwise of the C&CC sites because up until now, we haven't been able to visit any of them because of the two night rule. We certainly won't be renewing our membership when it becomes due because it has been a complete waste of money. John.

Archived