fog light

nick1

As a fellow camper van owner ( a 'British' one ) I find this situation 'unbelievable'

You would think that if you are paying upwards of £35,000 - £50,000 and counting !! for a vehicle that has presumably been 'legally' imported into this country, that someone could get the simple matter of getting the lights ( fog or otherwise ) in the right place!!!!!

Just goes to show, I think we as 'consumers' are far too tolerant in this Country.

when i imported my current van changing the foglight & reversing light was one of the first things i had done.

i just took the cost out of the £12,000 saved buying in Belgium.

(lol)

if the van is a 2000 model did you import it as a used vehicle?

Bob Elswood - 2009-03-16 6:52 PM

Just goes to show, I think we as 'consumers' are far too tolerant in this Country.

Bob

Most UK-registered LHD Continental European-built motorhomes will have entered the UK as 'personal imports'. In such cases the onus for ensuring that the vehicle meets this country's regulatory requirements is solely on the owner/buyer importer.

All 'personal importers' will (or should!) be well aware that modifications to headlamps, speedometer, rear fog-light, mirrors, etc. may well be needed to permit their bought-abroad motorhomes to comply with the UK regulatory demands that are clearly stated in the Department for Transport's guide to vehicle importation.

If you read Rowan Lee's posting, I believe you will begin to appreciate that it is, in fact, the UK 'consumer' - the individual who is personally importing the motorhome - who usually chooses deliberately not to implement any necessary modifications.

As the DVLA used not to inspect personally-imported motorhomes to confirm regulatory compliance, many UK-registered motorhomes (like Rowan's) continue to be driven in the UK with 'illegal' lights, speedo, etc. But, when this happens, it's normally the 'consumer's' fault, not 'someone' else's.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-03-17 7:47 AM

Bob Elswood - 2009-03-16 6:52 PM

Bob

Most UK-registered LHD Continental European-built motorhomes will have entered the UK as 'personal imports'. In such cases the onus for ensuring that the vehicle meets this country's regulatory requirements is solely on the owner/buyer importer.

All 'personal importers' will (or should!) be well aware that modifications to headlamps, speedometer, rear fog-light, mirrors, etc. may well be needed to permit their bought-abroad motorhomes to comply with the UK regulatory demands that are clearly stated in the Department for Transport's guide to vehicle importation.

If you read Rowan Lee's posting, I believe you will begin to appreciate that it is, in fact, the UK 'consumer' - the individual who is personally importing the motorhome - who usually chooses deliberately not to implement any necessary modifications.

As the DVLA used not to inspect personally-imported motorhomes to confirm regulatory compliance, many UK-registered motorhomes (like Rowan's) continue to be driven in the UK with 'illegal' lights, speedo, etc. But, when this happens, it's normally the 'consumer's' fault, not 'someone' else's.

Thanks for explaining that Derek.

Archived