French Orange Dongle

Randonneur

Just thought I would let any interested parties know about the above.

I ordered, online, an Orange Internet Dongle, the cost was 9€ and is for occasional use.

I received the dongle a few days after ordering and the following day a letter arrived with 5 pages including 2 contracts and the receipt. I tried to make sense of these and sent Patricia a copy and she couldn't make head nor tails of it either. Anyway we went to visit our nearest France Telecom shop and were lucky to find a young man that spoke English and he explained that the letters were just standard ones when a mobile phone is purchased and to disregard them.

I then setup the dongle as per the instruction booklet and 2hrs were included in the price but I couldn't find the promotion code to use it until it was too late. I then went on to buy 1 hrs use over 15 days (8€) and received the indentifying code and password by email and text to my mobile phone and bingo it works perfectly.

These dongles started off at 99€ a few months ago and have steadily dropped in price.

The cost of the Orange Internet Everywhere is 3€ for 20 mins (24 hrs), 8€ for 1hr (15 days), 14€ for 2hrs (15 days) 25€ for 6 hrs (15 days).

This is the link for anyone interested.

http://www.orange.fr/bin/frame.cgi?u=http%3A//sites.orange.fr/boutique/files/html/pe_pack_pccard_1.html%3FWT.srch%3D1

I made sure that I turned off any automatic updates that would slow down the laptop whilst the dongle is being used.

Will be sending you an email in a few minutes Sylvia but just to add something important to your post.

Purchasers HAVE to have a French address and it has to be delivered there.

Incidentally the free phone number they give to acknowledge receipt does work from England (at least I did get through but you have to dial 0033 first) but I am waiting for the letter with the client numbers etc. before I can actually register it.

I hope this isn't old news but a friend who's very well informed in the mobile phone/broadband world, tells me that soon we will be able to use the existing SIM cards in our mobiles to obtain broadband connections for laptops, notepads etc.

He went on to explain that needless to say there will be an extra charge to your contract, (I didn't ask about PAYG), but it should be quite convienient once it's available.

So I assume you'll buy a dongle that has no SIM in it, plonk your own in and away you go. He said that some laptops were already built to receive SIM's in this way already so as to not have to be using a dongle at all.

I'll keep you posted if and when I learn anymore.

Martyn

This Dongle came with a normal mobile phone Sim which you put into the Dongle so I suppose what you say is certainly a possibility. I have an Orange France PayGo mobile phone and I suppose I could have a go to see if the Sim would work in the dongle, I have a feeling that it won't work because it is not setup for data use. I will look into it.

I have been conversing with Patricia and she found that Orange France are also offering a WiFi service for their Hotspots, the charges for this are more reasonable and are valid for a longer time.

Its a minefield, the French seem to be way behind the UK on mobile and internet services.

Archived